General Carowinds discussion
By tarheel1231
My newest idea for a themed area is called "Old World Outpost", somewhat of a combination of former areas 'Old World Marketplace' and 'Frontier Outpost'. It's set during 17th Century North Carolina in an ambiguous location.

The area is a reconfiguration of Rip Roarin' Rapids into a new midway:

Current layout

Old World Outpost

Rip Roarin' Rapids would be renamed and rethemed to Powder Keg Run, a reference to the park's old log flume. The current rafts would be replaced by 8-person rafts from Whitewater Rapids, the queue would be within the area instead of on the bridge, and there could be a small lift/drop added to the end of the layout.

The brown flat ride in the upper-right corner would be called Lumberjack, a 170 foot Zamperla Giant Discovery.

The brown building in the bottom-right corner would be a restaurant called Black Bear Grille, a reference to the park's old train station in Frontier outpost. Hopefully this could be a full-service restaurant, but it's not likely.

There's some space left over between the Discovery and the Rapids, maybe the park could add a small family flat like a Mack Twist 'n' Splash, or a Chance Wipeout (if they still make those).

Overall, I think this would be beneficial to the park as it expands the park’s layout without removing any attractions, removes rides from the entry plaza, and it opens the possibility of making the Rapids a more immersive attraction.
By coasterbruh
My biggest wish is that is cabana like accommodations outside of the water park. Sometimes you just wanna chill out and relax for a while and while harmony hall is good for it, having your own personal space inside the park could be better. Like have several station throughout the park, villages, with like 4-6 air conditioned units. I would rent it in a heartbeat if I knew I was coming with a group.
By tarheel1231
How I'd like to see each area themed in the near future:

Celebration Plaza: The plaza looks way better than it ever has in the past few years, I'd probably just give a facelift to some of the buildings to phase out the Art Deco architecture.

Carousel Park: Not much else I would do here, but if Vortex gets demolished, it would be a nice spot for some antique cars.

Frontier Outpost: Originally I wanted to call this "Old World Outpost", but since the park seems to like bringing back old names, this would fit better. Already described how I would change the area in a previous post ^^. As far as buildings/architecture go, something in the vein of Frontier Trail @ CP would look nice.

Thrill Zone: I had trouble deciding what to do with this area. It's pretty much a mish-mash of different attractions with no real cohesive theme, much like (current) Crossroads. One theme I think could work here is some sort of "Energy Expo", especially with Fury's futuristic aesthetic. Still, I feel Hurler would look out of place, so it would be better to just leave the area as is.

Carolina Boardwalk: I would extend the boardwalk paving through the entire area, and repaint Cyclone's track orange and supports teal. I think the second thing was one of redrunner's ideas.

County Fair: This area is pretty much perfect, I think moving Dodg'em's to the back-right corner could make it even more family-centric.

Blue Ridge Junction: I don't know what they're doing here for next year, but judging by the other area rethemes the park has done in recent history, this area is going to look great.

Pirate Island: See here.

Lowcountry: I feel like the rest of Crossroads could be easily rethemed to this since you can find military bases (Afterburn), haunted mansions (Boo Blasters), and watermills (Candy Shoppe) in the Lowcountry/Charleston region. I would gut Boo Blasters and turn it into a theatrical attraction similar to Mystery Lodge at Knott's, and call it "Phantom of the Opry". The name fits since it also happens to be the name of a show that used to play in the original Harmony Hall (another one of redrunner's ideas).

Camp Snoopy: Like County Fair, it's pretty much perfect. Glad we have this and not the more common Planet Snoopy.

Crossroads: Currently part of Celebration plaza, it's another mish-mash of themes. However, with Harmony Hall being located here, I feel that this fits.

Future Area(s): I don't know what will happen to this land after Dinosaurs Alive is gone, but I hope whatever comes is well themed. I think something based off of Cherokee mythology could be nice, especially considering the park used to have a Native American-themed area. I think we'll see this area filled by 2022.
By Carowindsman
2020 RMC WOODSTOCK EXPRESS ** That is all drop the mic**
By tarheel1231
This concept is called Stormpower, a racing RMC wooden coaster, and my prediction for 2022.

Backstory: The Helms Railroad Company has been the leading railroad line in the Carolinas for decades, with their flagship train "Ole Blue" being the quickest way to get from Charlotte to Charleston. However, a new competitor is in town: Hall Railroad. Hall is moving in, and they're challenging Helms for control of all railroads in the two states. This dispute can only be settled in one way: a race to see whose train is the fastest. Helms has given Ole Blue and edge by powering it off of lightning itself, but rumor has it that Hall's "Melodia" is powered by the roaring sounds of thunder. It's thunder and lightnin', twice the frightnin' in this duel to see who can claim the Carolinas. Are you ready for the rowdiest railroad on the planet?

Theme: So obviously the ride is themed to racing trains, with both names being a callback to Carowinds' old railroad. The trains would look similar to Steel Vengeance/T-Express, and the station would be themed to a train station/railroad yard. The surrounding area of Crossroads would be a callback to the original area, as it contained Shortline Junction and one of the old train's stops.

The Ride: Stormpower would be located in Dinosaurs Alive's plot, crossing over and under Intimidator and into the parking lot. Planet Coaster gave me an estimated height of 147 feet, making the ride the tallest racing wooden coaster in the world similar to Thunder Road when it first opened. It's over 6200 feet long and there's three inversions.

Pictures:

By Carowindsman
It looks pretty cool but I feel that type of ride would not fit in that area. Im pretty sure that area will be expanded for more Camp Snoopy
By uscbandfan
I'd like to see the entrance to RRR be moved. To me, Celebration Plaza needs to have souvenirs, the photo booth, some food and/or drink and that's about it. Because of it's uniqueness, include Skytower as well.

Let Celebration Plaza be a place where everyone can hang out before the park opens without regard to rides. Have the ropes or whatever crowd control device positioned just before the Intimidator plaza to the left and at the arbor to the right. Everything in between should be everything the park could want for guests to spend their money on while they wait for the park to open... or to snag on the way out when it closes.

RRR entrance seems very out of place and out of the way where it exists right now. Move the entrance to RRR over to Carousel Park between Luigi's and the theater or maybe even to thrill zone to the right of Fury. (If it ever got replaced with a more thrilling ride, the entrance would definitely be a better fit there.) Yes, there is an access road there but that's what bridges are for and that's why they pay the designers and engineers the big bucks. The current RRR entrance goes over the access road even now so that shouldn't be a concern. The only difference is the terrain.

By solarplexus
coasterbruh wrote:My biggest wish is that is cabana like accommodations outside of the water park. Sometimes you just wanna chill out and relax for a while and while harmony hall is good for it, having your own personal space inside the park could be better. Like have several station throughout the park, villages, with like 4-6 air conditioned units. I would rent it in a heartbeat if I knew I was coming with a group.

This is one of the best ideas I have seen!
By sv18
tarheel1231 wrote:I know it's selfish to already be wishing for another coaster with one on the way next year, but for the park's next major thrill ride, I'm really hoping RMC can come an and build a ground-up wooden coaster. Specifically something of a wooden Twisted Colossus, but much taller. Like 15-16 stories tall. It would be a nice homage to Thunder Road as it was the tallest dueling/racing coaster in the world when it opened.

As far as location, there's about 3 1/2 acres in Dinosaur's Alive Spot, and even if you used some for a Camp Snoopy expansion, you could still feasibly fit a large coaster in the plot given that you use some of the parking lot. It could even cross over Intimidator similar to how Thunderbolt at KW crosses over Phantom's Revenge.

2018-05-02.png

Honestly, I hope Hurler stays un-RMC'ed. I'm actually beginning to like the ride and with the track work done to it, it feels like it fills that gap of a nice family wooden coaster that was left by Thunder Road. That, and with Twisted Timbers somewhat nearby, I'd rather get something a little more unique.

Would you want the coaster to have a combined track like Twisted Colossus, or have RMC do something they've never done before with a dueling coaster and have separate track?
By tarheel1231
sv18 wrote:
tarheel1231 wrote:I know it's selfish to already be wishing for another coaster with one on the way next year, but for the park's next major thrill ride, I'm really hoping RMC can come an and build a ground-up wooden coaster. Specifically something of a wooden Twisted Colossus, but much taller. Like 15-16 stories tall. It would be a nice homage to Thunder Road as it was the tallest dueling/racing coaster in the world when it opened.

As far as location, there's about 3 1/2 acres in Dinosaur's Alive Spot, and even if you used some for a Camp Snoopy expansion, you could still feasibly fit a large coaster in the plot given that you use some of the parking lot. It could even cross over Intimidator similar to how Thunderbolt at KW crosses over Phantom's Revenge.

2018-05-02.png

Honestly, I hope Hurler stays un-RMC'ed. I'm actually beginning to like the ride and with the track work done to it, it feels like it fills that gap of a nice family wooden coaster that was left by Thunder Road. That, and with Twisted Timbers somewhat nearby, I'd rather get something a little more unique.

Would you want the coaster to have a combined track like Twisted Colossus, or have RMC do something they've never done before with a dueling coaster and have separate track?

Five posts up
Last edited by tarheel1231 on September 30th, 2018, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By sv18
My wish is that Carowinds takes off the ridiculous trim on the airtime hill after Intimidator's turnaround. If they don't do that, I hope Carowinds reduces the trims like SeaWorld Orlando did to Mako.
By tarheel1231
They're not going to purposely increase wear and tear on an attraction just so enthusiasts can get .001 more seconds of airtime.
By tarheel1231
I'm not saying I disagree with the name, I'm just saying from a financial standpoint, they have nothing to gain by removing the trims.
By Chris
Not to mention, I'm not sure how much B&M and Carowind's insurance company would like someone running one of their coasters out of spec.