General Carowinds discussion
For fun, I thought I'd throw together a graphic showing past coaster staging areas (with dates), in relation to the actual construction site. Obvious they stage as close as they can without impeding parking. I betcha "project 2010" will be staged in the exact area as Borg or possibly Top Gun. Pieces were still arriving for Top Gun even in Nov/Dec. This being a "presumably" larger coaster, seems like track should be arriving within 3-6 weeks.

Davidtmp wrote:I'm thinking in the same spot as Top Gun.....this is where they also staged Cobra, correct? Nice illustrations though. You are the man when it comes to history stuff.

Correct. Cobra's track was laying up next to Thunder Road.

yes, there is track in that photo but it's gray and hard to distinguish (upper portion). Also, that photo doesn't cover the entire staging area. I actually put together a photo album of Top Gun from the first footers to the media day. Hundreds of photos (overkill), but I double-checked some other August photos and there was plenty of track although there was plenty left to go. When you think of it, the supports have to go in first anyway. :)
wrbcltnc wrote:I noticed that the TOP GUN supports were not painted at the factory. New B&M supports appear to be pre-painted. I wonder if that helps the paint too last longer. TG or AB as it's now known could use some touch ups.

I've wondered about that too. Maybe it was a cost saving measure by Paramount to paint it in-house. I'm sure B&M charges a lot extra for them to paint it. But with the price of steel being down now, maybe they view it as one less thing to do if it comes pre-painted.
I'm going to try to look it up at home tonight, but I "think" I read somewhere(maybe their website) that the company that does the tracks and all will paint with a special painting technique that results in a better and longer lasting coat. It could have been something that was skipped, or not available 10 years ago. I'll see if I can find it tonight.
swampfox43 wrote:
wrbcltnc wrote:I noticed that the TOP GUN supports were not painted at the factory. New B&M supports appear to be pre-painted. I wonder if that helps the paint too last longer. TG or AB as it's now known could use some touch ups.

I've wondered about that too. Maybe it was a cost saving measure by Paramount to paint it in-house. I'm sure B&M charges a lot extra for them to paint it. But with the price of steel being down now, maybe they view it as one less thing to do if it comes pre-painted.

B&M aren't the people who charge for the painting, the fabrication, steel, or even for the construction (well, maybe a little to a degree. See further down). Other companies do. The steel plant in Batavia charges for the painting, steel, and the fabrication for the parts. Another company is contracted to build the ride. For example, Adena built Diamondback. Another company charges for drilling for the footers and the concrete. Another company charges for the landscaping. Another company charges for the electrical work. The only thing B&M really gets paid for is R&D, designing the ride, doing the computer models, 'engineering' the ride to make sure it would work, and they send a couple foremen or contractors to supervise over the entire project.

BTW, when I say "charges for blah blah blah" I mean that's who does that portion, and therefore gets paid for doing it.
I tried to look up the Southern Ohio Fabrication site, but it is a broken link now. It worked a few weeks back. Maybe their site will come back up and can find a little information on what kinds of projects they do. The link Coasterdave gave was very informative itself, I think it was in the new construction thread.