General Carowinds discussion
By Jay
Some of you guys seem to have really high hopes for 2013. As Rollernut posted, in the past for milestone anniversary years, there typically wasn't some new big thing. I hope you aren't too let down if it ends up being a waterpark expansion or something else small-ish.

Would much rather have a GCI anyway. :P

Back to the present.. awesome looking press invitation. Actually makes me a bit excited about next year.
By chknwing
In the past, Carowinds wasn't owned by Cedar Fair. Previous owners didnt really do much with Carowinds like Cedar Fair has.
By RollerBee
CW is getting a coaster in 2012, KI or CGA would likely get another before Carowinds. However, CGA hasnt gotten any new coasters since 2001, or new rides since 08(?). I believe CGA is done.
By goldsteh
Are we all forgetting that the Democratic Convention will be in Charlotte September 2012. Maybe CF is planning something big for next summer because of the amount of visitors that will be in the city most of the summer. Just a thought.....
By Picklesthedrummer
chknwing wrote:In the past, Carowinds wasn't owned by Cedar Fair. Previous owners didnt really do much with Carowinds like Cedar Fair has.

Well said. I see lots of expansions and improvements for Carowinds in the next decade. It seems to be that Carowinds is Cedar Fair's focus for improvement to make the park one that people would want to travel a good distance to visit.
By Picklesthedrummer
RollerNut wrote:CW is getting a coaster in 2012, KI or CGA would likely get another before Carowinds. However, CGA hasnt gotten any new coasters since 2001, or new rides since 08(?). I believe CGA is done.

I heard a rumor that CGA is getting a coaster this year when their announcement is made Spet. 1st. We will see how true that is when they announce their 2012 attraction.
By arby
I was able to swing by the park right around closing time tonight. I covered about 75% of the park and there is nothing going on to give any new hints for what's coming (except a few red flags around Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular that I hadn't seen before).

I left through the bus parking lot and the back service road since there aren't any signs that say not to. There's no indication of anything behind hurler or on the road to the campground.

Tomorrow, I can post a couple of pictures that I took.
By RollerBee
arby wrote:I was able to swing by the park right around closing time tonight. I covered about 75% of the park and there is nothing going on to give any new hints for what's coming (except a few red flags around Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular that I hadn't seen before).

I left through the bus parking lot and the back service road since there aren't any signs that say not to. There's no indication of anything behind hurler or on the road to the campground.

Tomorrow, I can post a couple of pictures that I took.

Disregard, I checked Google Maps.
By Picklesthedrummer
RollerNut wrote:
Disregard, I checked Google Maps.

You do know that isnt updated all the time right? That picture of Carowinds was from early last year. You can tell because the water park doesnt have any water in it yet.
By RollerBee
Yes, but I was looking for something that hasn't changed recently.
By arby
Here's the flags near the Starlight Spectacular control center. (taken from cell phone cam)
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg (31.55 KiB) Viewed 13379 times

There's more going off to the right of that last shot.
pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg (39.92 KiB) Viewed 13379 times

Behind the Hurler, something happened but it doesn't appear to be anything since the surrounding area was undisturbed.
pic3.jpg
pic3.jpg (32.34 KiB) Viewed 13379 times

I plan to go back to the park by Monday to check out the rest of the areas I didn't get to last night before they closed.
By Wolf
arby wrote:Here's the flags near the Starlight Spectacular control center. (taken from cell phone cam)
pic1.jpg

This is just me, but I think they may be starting to clear an area for Camp Killauee or some other haunt for Scarowinds. I'm not 100% sure where exactly this is in the photo, but that's my best guess... That, or they're doing some stupid maintenance things just to throw us off.
By The Coaster Critic
If you're heading south on 77, just past Uptown there was a billboard that Carowinds was using to advertise Snoopy Starlight. Now that it's over for the season, all the billboard has is FURY is large steel-themed letters with a black background. Does anyone know what that could refer to? It seems like a really odd advertisement for a company. There's literally nothing else on the billboard. No phone number, web address, tagline, nothing. Just FURY. I Googled "charlotte fury" and the top results were about the local dragon boat racing team.

Anyone know anything? Could this be a teaser for the new ride? It doesn't have a wind or Wright Brothers look at all. By the way here's a link to the announcement invite with more of the 'first flight'/Wright Brothers references:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 587&type=1
By Picklesthedrummer
I doubt it is a teaser for the new ride. Is there any way you can find a picture of the ad? That would help.