Everything else goes here, including discussion of parks outside of Carowinds and any off-topic discussion
By Hiveminded
^ Perfect :lol:

Tawny71 wrote:Darn it, Jarvis! I'm trying to eat healthy and now I want a freakin cookie!

Btw...someone needs to develop an app to track coasters. Wonder why these websites can't just develop a simple app that interacts with their database?

Unless it got taken off the App Store, Coastercounter has an app from bombing brain interactive. The design of the app is very outdated though, it hasn't even been updated to the retina resolution yet. (but it has been updated to the iPhone 5 screen size? :?: ) Not sure if it is on android. The database is regularly updated by the users. It can also give you stats on your tallest/fastest/longest/biggest drop you've been on, along with a glitchy top 10 ranking system! If I had any idea how to make an app you bet this is what I would make lol.
By Jay
I was going to post that Coastercounter was trash, but then I realized I hadn't used it in over 5 years and it wouldn't be fair to judge a site I haven't used since then. So I went clicking around (my account still works shockingly) and discovered it's kind of a bad and outdated rip-off of Coaster-Count.

Everything about Coaster-Count is superior to me. I love the ability to look at maps of things I have or haven't ridden, and it ties in pretty well to RCDB so they don't have to depend on users to input data like it's Wikipedia. Also I enjoy comparing myself with people I actually know and not anonymous usernames.

As for the app thing, last time I tried the Coaster-Count mobile website it was extremely easy to use. You could just save a bookmark to your main screen and have that act as an app, no?
By coasterbruh
I hear all these good things but it keeps giving me the site is offline, so I cant register...
By Chris
I keep getting the loading icon after I hit submit, but nothing ever happens. I've tried it on 3 different browsers. :eh:
By Wormy
I think this is what people that are trying to newly register (that weren't on the site before) are seeing.

Looks like they're a little behind.
By Chris
I am getting this. As soon as I click a check box, this load icon comes up and I can't click anything else. It's random, too. Sometimes, it happens when I click out of the 'email' box. Other times, it waits till I check everything and then does it when I click 'transfer now.'

By arby
I did have to transfer mine twice, for what it's worth.

Tawny71 wrote:Btw...someone needs to develop an app to track coasters.

I have plans for one. Unfortunately the development projects I have in the queue far exceed the time I have for development but I hope to at least have a prototype ready later this year.
By aoriole19
Do you guys count powered coasters and water coasters? Just wondering, want to hear opinions on whether these things are usually counted.

As far as I know, the only water coaster I've been on is Journey to Atlantis at SeaWorld Orlando, and I'm inclined to count that as a coaster based on how I remember it (this was 5 years ago, though)

The only powered coaster I've been on is the Dragon at Fantasy Island in NJ.. It's pretty lame but I don't really see how something like Lucy's Crabbie Cabbie can be a credit but Dragon can't.. I guess people think it doesn't fit the definition of "roller coaster" because it's not powered by gravity? I can understand that, but I still kinda want to count it.

Also, something is weird with my count on coaster-count.com... It lists my strict count as 98, personal count as 100, and total as 101. Right now the only filter I have off is water coasters (as in, it counts water coasters in my personal count). However, I don't have any water coasters in my list except for Atlantis, so why is my strict count 2 lower than my personal count?? No other coaster has the word "water" under the "special" heading, and after a skim of the list, I can't think of what coaster wouldn't be counted in my strict count....

Is there something else (not one of the filters) that ISN'T counted in the Strict total? Thanks!
By Jonathan
I basically go by RCDB, so I do count powered coasters and water coasters. The most dubious thing I count is probably Blazing Fury/Fire in the Hole.

I have the same question about the "strict" thing. Not sure what it is. Maybe strict only counts racing/dueling coasters as one?
By aoriole19
The thing is, I also only personally count racing coasters as one (I think I would count a dueling coaster as 2 but I've never been on one) So that is, when I enter racing coasters into this site I only check the box for one side, regardless of whether I've ridden both sides or not.
By Jay
Hilarious that you have the Fantasy Island Dragon.. that's like the one coaster in New Jersey I don't have. :lol:

Here's what the site says "strict" is-

Besides the real coaster (for definition) we provide some more categories of coasters that are indeed lacking basic coaster-characteristics (Enclosed track, always on track, moving up and down by gravity, look like a coaster, passive ride). Alpine coasters do not go up and are no passive rides, butterflies do not have enclosed tracks and do not look like coasters, powered coasters do not move by gravity, water coasters leave track and undefined coasters make just people happy. You may want to ride these coaster anyway but have in mind, these credits will NOT affect ranking and count seen by other peoples. Therefore the real compare value is the strict number of coasters.

As an example: You rode 100 coasters including 20 butterflies. Your friend rode 90 coasters, no butterflies. Your total is 100 and in the rankings you are 10 coasters above your friend. On the other hand, your friend sees you rode 80 coasters and in his ranking he is 10 above you. The crucial number is the strict number of coasters including only real coasters, so please no conflicts.

I think the site counts racers/duelers as 2 as long as you check both sides. That really should be an option since so many people count it differently. The worst is that Racer at Kennywood can be two if you check both sides, that one should only ever count as one!

My thought on that is, you could theoretically move one side of Thunder Road to a different park, while keeping the other side intact, so they are 2 coasters. You can't do that with Racer at Kennywood so it's only one.

I count powered because they do 'coast' downhill at some point. I count water coasters too, but the line is more blurry. JtA in Orlando is WAYY more coastery than the one in Texas...

But I count 'em both, because I'm a shameless credit whore. :thumbup:
By arby
I use my personal count from coaster-count.com since that seems to pretty much line up with what rcdb counts.