General Carowinds discussion
WCNC did an interview with Mike Fehnel today and they aired it on the local news tonight. They made a statement that I hadn't quite heard put this way. "Cedar Fair officials hope to make Carowinds a roller coaster mecca". Mike said, CF has given them a vote of confidence in the Charlotte market and many of the CF marketing and sales team moved here to focus on the parks future as a roller coaster mecca.

I remember back in 2010 when the ECC held an event at Carowinds, and a similar statement was made by Zimmerman during the lunch break. Saying Carowinds will be the Cedar Point of the south.

So, to the person who asked whether Carowinds could possibly get a strata coaster. I would think ANYTHING is possible now. In fact, Kinzel even mentioned the lack of a launch coaster at Carowinds during that event in 2010. As if the future couldn't be any brighter, this was exciting to hear.
I don't want to get my hopes up too much, or take that phrasing too literally, but isn't this exciting?!
I can't even wrap my head around Carowinds being a mecca of roller coasters!

Carowinds' has a lot of space, connects two states (both without any other major competition), and has roller coasters in the 100+, 200+, and now 300+ height already. I definitely get why they would want to make Carowinds their next big park because Cedar Point is landlocked and Carowinds could really thrive now that they are re-branding it to have national and international appeal.

I can't wait to see what Cedar Fair has in store for Carowinds!!
:D Wow! The little park I grew up going to - could it eventually be better than Cedar Point? LOL! Wouldn't that be crazy? I never thought about it but Cedar Point has limited space as opposed to Carowinds. It will be so fun to see what happens in the future.
This actually makes a lot of sense. There is a lot of land here. Charlotte is growing, and even if it leveled off, there is still a sustaining population relative to some other CF parks. (Sandusky, Cincinnati, Doswell) But more important than that NC/SC is already a large tourist Mecca. (Asheville, Charleston, Outer Banks Myrtle Beach are all within a few hours drive. So adding a world class Amusement Park to a family vacation makes sense to me) Doswell has DC and the VA Beach area but I wonder how they compare.
^^ never gonna happen.. :) The rich dock their yachts at Cedar Point, meanwhile we look out at the industrial parks. Too much money up there. Carowinds will continue to grow and get more thrill rides, but SFMM and CP status ain't gonna happen.
Jetp wrote:This is great to hear. But I hope they also add some decent flats as well.

For a true rollercoaster mecca and a well rounded ride collection, they need more than just coasters and flats. I think they could throw in a nice log flume, a cable car ride, railroad or something like Antique Cars as in Sandusky. We are definitely coaster enthusiasts, but between those exciting rides we like to relax a bit on milder ones.
If you think like a stock holder and look at future revenue, Cedar Point does not have a whole lot of future growth potential, the sort that make investors happy. It's a mature park. Remember Wall Street always looks forward, and does not focus on today. Carowinds has a lot of growth potential. Cedar Point will not increase stock value very much but a park such as Carowinds will. So basically they are attempting to make Carowinds as valuable to the company's bottom line as Cedar Point is.
Boris wrote:
Jetp wrote:This is great to hear. But I hope they also add some decent flats as well.

For a true rollercoaster mecca and a well rounded ride collection, they need more than just coasters and flats. I think they could throw in a nice log flume, a cable car ride, railroad or something like Antique Cars as in Sandusky. We are definitely coaster enthusiasts, but between those exciting rides we like to relax a bit on milder ones.

I'm not sure if that is the case. Those things were staples at parks 30 years ago, not sure if they would be such a big draw with today's generation. People want speed, height, or a high tech experience. Look at what parks, including Disney and Universal have been putting in for the past 15 or so years. I love the things you mentioned but I not so sure young folk would get excited about them.
Coming from someone who absolutely adores Cedar Point, There is really nothing else to do up there besides sail and head down to Kings Island. Toledo is pretty bleh. There is Cleveland and Detroit I suppose. I can definitely see how they would want to hedge their bets with other parks.

What defines a "Roller-Coaster Mecca" anyway?
Please remember family's are the driving dollar at parks!! If you complain about a two dollar locker. Your not funding expansion. When you go to a park with your wife and two kids you enjoy a 7 minute ride you can share together. Fury 325 and Afterburner are the face of the park. But a Logflume and Family rides are the heart of the park !!