General Carowinds discussion
By Jonathan
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the seating area on Blackbeard's Revenge didn't actually move, did it? Just the outer box as I recall. I always found that a bit silly. I love the modern haunted swings. Sadly the Efteling one was closed when I was there.
By pproteinc
Yea I definitely remember the old Blackbeard on visits to the south during summer. The illusion was serious on that ride. Some people would actually hold on to the bench.
By Jarsh
Jay wrote:You sat on benches with very minimal restraints...

My memory of riding Blackbeard's Revenge is fairly old at this point, but I don't remember there being any restraints on it at all. Seems like it was just a bunch of "church pews" that everyone sat on and watched the room roll around you. I remember getting up and swapping places with my sister during the ride on a few occasions because she was scared.
By Jonathan
They sell that book in the park if anyone is interested.

Sadly Blackbeard’s Revenge wasn’t quite as interesting as a Vekoma Mad House. Unlike those, where the seating area moves like a giant swing, the seats were stationary. Only the outside box moved.
By formeryogi
The illusion worked so well with the pirate ship theme.

The video of Efteling is shows it well. But I think the pirate ship theme worked so much better. For those of you who don't remember, guests sat on a long bench back to back as if they were in the hull of a pirate ship. There were no seatbelts or bars (because the bench didn't actually move ... everything else did!) As the ship started to "rock" guests felt like they were swaying in the waves. Eventually the ship turned upside down. I remember guests totally buying the illusion and getting sick.

I'm not sure of the re-ride factor. After you had experienced it three or four times, the illusion was gone and there was no reason to ride it over again. That's probably why ridership eventually dropped.
By IntimidationNation
Jonathan wrote:They sell that book in the park if anyone is interested.

Where at? I went into the park about 2 weeks before scarowinds opened and went to the shop next to guest services at the front of the park and went to the shop next to cinnabon and the employees at both places looked at me like I was crazy. One shops even call a manager over and they had no idea what I was talking about
By Chris
I bought the book on Amazon a couple of years ago (EDIT: just checked, it was June 25, 2015). I'm sure it's on there if you can't find it at the park anymore.
By jsz1002
Chris wrote:I bought the book on Amazon a couple of years ago (EDIT: just checked, it was June 25, 2015). I'm sure it's on there if you can't find it at the park anymore.

I bought this at Costco off of Tyvola Rd earlier this year. It may still be there.
By IntimidationNation
jsz1002 wrote:
Chris wrote:I bought the book on Amazon a couple of years ago (EDIT: just checked, it was June 25, 2015). I'm sure it's on there if you can't find it at the park anymore.

I bought this at Costco off of Tyvola Rd earlier this year. It may still be there.

I order a hard back copy last week on Amazon and received it yesterday. Glad I finally have that book though. Thanks Chris and jsz1002