General Carowinds discussion
FamousAmos wrote:The crews don't always know what's under the ground.

This is very true. It's like working on a computer or a even a car. Sure, on paper it looks to be a 30 minute fix. But dive into it and watch what can of worms you open up.
Chris wrote:This is very true. It's like working on a computer or a even a car. Sure, on paper it looks to be a 30 minute fix. But dive into it and watch what can of worms you open up.

Interesting! Wormy, do you prefer to reside in a computer or a car? I could see pros and cons to both..
ColetD wrote:
Chris wrote:This is very true. It's like working on a computer or a even a car. Sure, on paper it looks to be a 30 minute fix. But dive into it and watch what can of worms you open up.

Interesting! Wormy, do you prefer to reside in a computer or a car? I could see pros and cons to both..

Last edited by Chris on April 3rd, 2017, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capler wrote:
FamousAmos wrote:The crews don't always know what's under the ground.

If they don't know it means someone kept bad records, or if the site is old enough, no records at all.

The park has changed owners multiple times since 1973 as has the area. I'm sure something got lost between all the changes this particular area has gone through since. I'm sure CF was generally made aware of what used to be there including current/former utility lines. The area had been bulldozed over more than once which means things will be found; expected...and unexpected.

As far as the lighting packages being installed? Perhaps they wanted the rides installed, employees trained & fully tested in their permanent site before adding the expensive lighting to ensure it wouldn't get damaged in the process. They weren't being installed like they are at the fair.
I'll give you an example;
It took a week to find just one Manhole cover that was only 6 inches below the asphalt. Then another few days to dig it up and stick cameras in the pipe to figure out where it went :lol:

EDIT
Another example:
The underwater spring at Fury's tunnel
Posted this in general discussion but I kinda thought afterwards it would probably be at home in this thread as well, if that's okay with the mods.

My opinions on county fair.

Wow! Just got back from Carowinds and i gotta say they served me crow once again this year!

I still personally prefer the old style of the cobra, but they did an absolutely fantastic job with making this new version fit in with the whole county fair aspect, and the fair aspect was done fantastically IMO. The new blue color on Cobra actually perfectly compliments the Red Do-SI-Do in a way which I didn't expect at all.

On to the rides. Didn't try Zepher because swings aren't my thing and I'm probably fat enough to break the cable lol.

Do-SI- Do was extremely fun and I honestly didn't expect it to feel as forceful as it did. It felt like a more thrilling scrambler but in the air.

I definitely enjoyed Rock 'N' Roller.

But Electro Spin was just absolutely awesome. So awesome in fact, that I definitely think it's one of my new favorite rides in the park. Unfortunately throughout today it seemed to have constant tech issues. Saw it stop a few times with people on it and earlier in the day they were testing with water dummies. Also it was just completely closed a few times when I walked by. So I hope it won't be a nightmare to upkeep. Also aren't they supposed to be installing some kind of lights on the ride later on?

Anyway I think Carowinds is doing a fantastic job. They are continually passing my expectations, just like last year with the water park. And they really nailed the feeling of being at a fair in this new reimagined section of the park. I love it. And I can't wait to see what they pull off next.

Edit: small note, the funnel cake sign that glitters is awesome and also adds to the atmosphere. It's little details like this in county fair that really pulled me in.