General Carowinds discussion
I think it should be a more modern style. I also think it would be AWESOME if Carowinds could incorporate an ultra modern pod (just big enough for families) monorail transportation system from the hotel to the front gate (or to a central location inside the park maybe even near the waterpark entrance if the hotel stay covers admission). (Or maybe you can choose between destinations)

It wouldn't have to all be above ground either. I'm thinking something along the lines of the ULT system they have in London.

Isn't this a huge reason Magic Kingdom guests stay around the lake in Disney? Ease of access is a selling point in my book. It would also stay somewhat true to the original Carowinds concept.

It wouldn't have to be a billion-dollar project. I do think it would have value and would have a certain attraction to staying at the hotel.
They don't really need to go through the trouble of building a monorail. They could just incorporate the shuttles that they already use for the campsite.

I do agree though that something modern would really stand out in the area. As far as design, I really like Sapphire Fall's exterior. Obviously Cedar Fair wouldn't go to this level of theming for it but it looks really nice as far as hotels go: Image
Plantations as an actual thing exist and that's fine. Like I said, Monster Mansion was changed BECAUSE of the connotation, and using that as a "theme" for something new isn't cool. As for Disneyland, its never been referred to as a plantation, there's no plantation theming, its an antebellum style mansion in a New Orleans themed area.

Rollerbee doesn't understand that he hasn't lived life as a person of color and can't really say what should or shouldn't be offensive to said people.
RollerBee wrote:So people were offended by the Plantation House....
Are they offended by Latta Plantation too?
Carowinds was formerly a Plantation before becoming Carowinds....
Haunted Mansion at Disneyland is modeled after a Southern Plantation as is Monster Mansion, Carowinds refered to the Plantation House as a mansion sometimes also. Y'all going to be so offended that Disney changes the Mansion facade to match Florida?

You just don't know when to just not say anything . . .
RollerBee wrote:So people were offended by the Plantation House....
Are they offended by Latta Plantation too?
Carowinds was formerly a Plantation before becoming Carowinds....
Haunted Mansion at Disneyland is modeled after a Southern Plantation as is Monster Mansion, Carowinds refered to the Plantation House as a mansion sometimes also. Y'all going to be so offended that Disney changes the Mansion facade to match Florida?

TBH I don't really care if someone wants to design a building inspired by a plantation house. But when it carries "plantation" in its name and all of the connotations that come with it, then I have a problem. No one wants to stay in a hotel named after a place that had their ancestors worked to death and beaten like animals.
Edwardo wrote:Plantations as an actual thing exist and that's fine. Like I said, Monster Mansion was changed BECAUSE of the connotation, and using that as a "theme" for something new isn't cool. As for Disneyland, its never been referred to as a plantation, there's no plantation theming, its an antebellum style mansion in a New Orleans themed area.

Rollerbee doesn't understand that he hasn't lived life as a person of color and can't really say what should or shouldn't be offensive to said people.

Edwardo doesnt understand that RollerBee has the right to an opinion per forum conduct rules. Everyone has an right to an opinion whether it is wrong or right. Calling antebellum doesn't change that the architecture is the same as a Plantation. Did Carowinds ever state that Plantation Sqaure and the Southern Mansion wasnt pre-antebellum?

Monster Mansion is the perfect example of how interchangeable the two time periods and words are.

Except from the original brochure for Carowinds doesn't call it the "Plantation House" and just says 1800s.
Attachments
I don't think they would need a Secondary Transit option other then a shuttle unless they have Two Parks (Which technically Carowinds Has), Two or more Hotels, and a Shopping District or half day experience not located in the park( Which I really hope they build with the hotel). On a related note, Does anyone here think the Cabelas will be expanded for more shops, I am really hoping for a Shopping and dining disctrict small or medium sized, It would really help with revenue as Carowinds can take a percentage of money that the privately owned shops make.
Of course, I am thinking ultra-modern with the ULTs. But, something other than your typical, everyday shuttles would make it stand out. Something more than a garden variety ho-hum shuttle. Of course, if money (or the spending the least of it) is the idea, then lets have the ho-hum everyday shuttles.

Personally, I like the ULT idea.

Just a thought...
Where did I say you couldn't have an opinion? I didn't. You, OTOH, came in to basically discount the opinions of others, one of which was giving perspective from an African american male.

Plantation isn't a type of architecture. When you Google plantation architecture, Antebellum comes up. That's the style. Noone was suggesting that style of architecture was racist. The point is that naming a hotel The Plantation House has a negative connotation to it that people find offensive.

Your posts here highlight my biggest problem with you. You choose to remain ignorant and obstinate.
Cadi40 just triggered a thought.

The Cabela's chain is being bought by Bass Pro Shops. Several locations have already closed. I don't know how the sales are at this location, but it's always possible Bass would entertain a land sale offer and sell the land to Carowinds. Stranger things have happened.
^ If Carowinds buys the land what would they do with that land. It's right off the Freeway and not desirable for anything other then a shopping center. I love your idea though, I hope Carowinds expands their shopping and dining. It would do a lot and attract more locals and people in the southeast not looking to spend a fortune at Orlando Parks but looking for Disney - Like amenities.
IIRC there are plans to build a shopping center right next to the Cabela's with a Moe's, Smokey Bones, Boot Barn etc. And then the Famous Dave's Barbecue though I have no idea where that's going. I'm too lazy to provide a link, help?

[EDIT] http://www.siteindexcharlotte.com/photo ... 118932.pdf

[EDIT II] Link broke. Here's the thread discussing it: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4549&hilit=Moe%27s
tarheel1231 wrote:IIRC there are plans to build a shopping center right next to the Cabela's with a Moe's, Smokey Bones, Boot Barn etc. And then the Famous Dave's Barbecue though I have no idea where that's going. I'm too lazy to provide a link, help?

[EDIT] http://www.siteindexcharlotte.com/photo ... 118932.pdf

[EDIT II] Link broke. Here's the thread discussing it: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4549&hilit=Moe%27s

It is currently under construction on that former empty lot just before you get to Cabela's when heading into the park.