General Carowinds discussion
redrunner97 wrote:There's a difference between Antebellum architecture and an actual plantation.

Note the definition:

I love Antebellum-style buildings and homes; they're beautiful and feel uniquely Southern, which is nice from a cultural perspective.

That being said, plantations themselves are something I don't think people would find "fun" to stay in, at least not while visiting an amusement park. It's not that it would be particularly offensive, it's just tasteless and has too many negative connotations. A grand, Southern-style manor could be cool (especially in the thematic sense) but we all know Cedar Fair is going to go the more modern route anyway... so there's really no need for a debate at all.

That being said, harbors themselves are something I don't think people would find "fun" to swim in, at least not while visiting an amusement park. It's not that it would be particularly offensive, it's just plain dangerous because there are too many tug boats.

"Oh father please forgive me. I tried very hard to stay out of this." :D
There's a racial connotation to naming something modern a Plantation. You're trying to be cute, but it's not cute.

Sometimes words become reminders of something else. In an extreme case, it's why the name Hitler fell out of use.

It's why people ask for the confederate flag to be removed from state buildings. It's why you'd never tell someone black to go pick cotton or say "Yes massa". It's why you don't make racially insensitive jokes about Asian drivers or other stereo types.

There's one thing about taking things too far, but it's pretty established that Plantation holds a negative connotation.

Stop thinking like a young, priveledged white male that you are and realize there's no comparison you can make when not one, but two people of color explained that it wouldn't be possible to use Plantation as a theme without offending a large group of people.
Capler wrote:
redrunner97 wrote:There's a difference between Antebellum architecture and an actual plantation.

Note the definition:

I love Antebellum-style buildings and homes; they're beautiful and feel uniquely Southern, which is nice from a cultural perspective.

That being said, plantations themselves are something I don't think people would find "fun" to stay in, at least not while visiting an amusement park. It's not that it would be particularly offensive, it's just tasteless and has too many negative connotations. A grand, Southern-style manor could be cool (especially in the thematic sense) but we all know Cedar Fair is going to go the more modern route anyway... so there's really no need for a debate at all.

That being said, harbors themselves are something I don't think people would find "fun" to swim in, at least not while visiting an amusement park. It's not that it would be particularly offensive, it's just plain dangerous because there are too many tug boats.

"Oh father please forgive me. I tried very hard to stay out of this." :D

Man what?!?!? You just wanted to say something right? :lol: :shh:
I passed the Sports Complex on my way in to the park last May. It's roughly 4 miles from the park and is located right on Cleveland Rd. (Rte 6) It used to be the old Sandusky Airport.
A perfect spot for a Cedar Fair sports complex would have been the old Knights Stadium in Ft Mill but alas, thats been purchased.
Is there demand for a sports complex at Carowinds? Charlotte is so close and has facilities used for competitions. Rock Hill is the other direction and they already host the bmx world championships, have a world class velodrome, have hosted softball and soccer championships and are building an indoor sports complex.