General Carowinds discussion
By pproteinc
cwgator wrote:Here is my prediction of what will be open:
2017-Winterfest Guess.jpg

In regards to Planet Snoopy: After some re-evaluating & remembering this is a family-geared event, there would need to be some rides for younger children. I could see some of the rides being untouched open: Charlie Brown Wind Up, Balloon Race, Snoopy vs, Red Baron & Snoopy's Junction (what's Christmas without a Christmas themed train?). Also Flying Ace Aerial Chase could be open for the younger crowd. The rest of Planet Snoopy could be walled off for construction during Winterfest, with them likely focusing on the ride removal and installation of Beagle Scout Acres.

I pretty much see Thrill Zone and Crossroads completely closed. This would still leave the availability to circle the park. I could see a nice decorative walk-through along the path under Nighthawk. Intimidator & Nighthawk could possibly be running, but pretty sure Windseeker would be closed (as well as Skytower). Not sure about Ripord. I've seen people in Orlando ride Skycoasters in cold weather, but don't know if Carowinds would bother with it.

From there County Fair should all be open, along with possibly Carolina Goldrusher, Ricochet and Scrambler. With the construction in Carolina Showplace, I don't see Vortex or Slingshot open. Carolina Cyclone I don't see worth opening either and easy to block off along with Thrill Zone.

As far as indoor show areas, there would be Carowinds Theater and Harmony Hall. Then of course there's the plaza stage and other locations for entertainment.

Anyway, this is just what I predict it would be. As much as many would love the whole park to be open, there just isn't any need for it, especially since it's still a "new" venture for Cedar Fair at this park. More could be open or perhaps I'm being overly generous. As far as Fury 325, I think it's just it's location as why I don't think it would open since that area is just easy to block off, besides the unpredictable forecast. I can see a nightmare if it's included, but closed for weather. Intimidator I don't think would be as bad if it had to close.

This is pretty much spot on. I was told as if right now Thrill Zone, Crossroads, and Planet Snoopy will be blocked off. They still are weighing the decision for Fury but right now it's a no go.
By tarheel1231
I don't see why they couldn't have Boo Blasters open. It's an indoor attraction basically guranteed to operate in these conditions.

As for the "County Fair" section of the Crossroads, it's basically a dead end and I doubt it will be open.
By cwgator
tarheel1231 wrote:This seems pretty likely but I don't see why Skytower can't be open. IIRC Great America ran their tower during Winterfest. If Carowinds' tower isn't getting tree lighting anymore, it'd make sense to open it.

If they get Skytower running again in time. Hasn't it been down since it was hit by lightning a while back?

tarheel1231 wrote:I don't see why they couldn't have Boo Blasters open. It's an indoor attraction basically guranteed to operate in these conditions.

As for the "County Fair" section of the Crossroads, it's basically a dead end and I doubt it will be open.

I was thinking it would be nice to have another indoor attraction open. However blocking off the path is easier the way I have it pictured. We'll see when they release more info. Hopefully they will provide a special park map like other parks do for their Christmas events.
By cwgator
^They could possibly wall off the area in Carolina Showplace and get that area ready for the carousel I suppose. I don't think they would rush getting the carousel installed there for Winterfest however. They will likely want to do a nice refurbishment in the process of moving it (which would take more than a few weeks) instead of just slapping it in place and throwing Christmas decor on it.
Working Winterfest in 2005 and running Top Gun it was super cold but it brought more of the people to that side of the park. I feel like Planet Snoopy will open in certain parts and County Fair and a big maybe on Intimidator. I don't think they will run Fury because it will be the only ride in that section of the park. I say retheme Intimidator to Santas Sleigh Ride and put a red light in the front of the trains.
By Chris
Carowindsman wrote:I don't think they will run Fury because it will be the only ride in that section of the park.

Why couldn't they run Hurler, Drop Tower, and Scream Weaver?
By RollerBee
Chris wrote:
Carowindsman wrote:I don't think they will run Fury because it will be the only ride in that section of the park.

I was told in 2005 when I asked about Woodstock Express operating that PTC had been asked and they said no because if the wood were to freeze after being wet that it could become brittle and break or crack as the train passes over.

I don't use Twitter, what did the tweet say?
By coasterbruh
Hi, it's 2017. It's time to lay to rest everything you were told in 2005.

If dollywood can run thunderhead, carowinds can run hurler.
By RollerBee
coasterbruh wrote:Hi, it's 2017. It's time to lay to rest everything you were told in 2005.

If dollywood can run thunderhead, carowinds can run hurler.

Thunderhead doesn't run PTC rolling stock, Hurler and Woodstock Express does. If PTC doesn't recommend Carowinds operate their trains in below X degrees and they do, it is a large fine from either NC or SC.

PTC's answer could change between Winterfest 2005 and Winterfest 2017 but I suspect Hurler and Woodstock weren't designed for winter operation and would require additional bracing to reduce flexing of the structure.

I suspect that Mystic Timbers and Thunderhead may have been built in Winter operation in mind.

If that is the case than the construction of these two coasters would likely be more Ridgid than Woodstock Express and Hurler are since they are older construction.
By Chris
RollerBee wrote:
Chris wrote:

I was told in 2005 when I asked about Woodstock Express operating that PTC had been asked and they said no because if the wood were to freeze after being wet that it could become brittle and break or crack as the train passes over.

I don't use Twitter, what did the tweet say?

What does that have to do with Drop Tower and Scream Weaver? As others have said, it's not 2005. That was 12 years ago. TWELVE! Plenty of other PTC trains run in cold weather. Sounds like Paramount lied to you about their reason for not running Woodstock, or PTC changed their policy. Regardless, it's been 12 years. ****'s changed.
By RollerBee
I stated a fact provided to me by Carowinds management relating to operation of Hurler.

It may be old but it is more than the park has said at the moment about what rides will be open.
By coasterbruh
You said the reason was the STRUCTURE would get wet and Crack. That is irrelevant to what trains and who provides them. Your age old "facts" do not trump the fact that carowinds hasn't said what's running. They have no reason to say so right now. Let's get through one weekend of scarowinds. I'd rather listen to silence from the park than what someone told you 12 years ago. Just imagine if schools still used the same material from 12 years ago . . . Things change.