General Carowinds discussion
By RollerBee
FamousAmos wrote: There are two or three areas where the pavers are extremely uneven and easy to trip over. It's kind of sad, I shouldn't have to look down when walking through there. But I have to so I don't trip in some spots. For the majority of the area, they are fine. But there is one spot in front of Electro Spin and another spot to the side of Rock-N-Roller that are very uneven and I hope they get fixed when the park goes on part-time. Especially during scarowinds when it will be dark outside and harder to see at night.

Whats the phone number for the amusement division of the NCDOL.....
Tripping hazards are fine-able. Maybe I should screenshot your post and email it to Carowinds while I am at it. :sarcasm:

(Not going to do either Amos)
By tarheel1231
Wishlist as far as Flying Ace Aerial Chase goes:

-New trains

-New colors:

-New name:
img_20160518_1320223.jpg
img_20160518_1320223.jpg (49.3 KiB) Viewed 4185 times
Southern Sidewinder (Edited Version of the former waterslide)

-Theme: Thrillseekers become storm chasers as they brave one of the twistiest, sidewindin' tornadoes of the century!
By Chris
FamousAmos wrote:^^No need Roller.
The park is already WELL aware of the uneven pavers.

Do you think before you post? So you're telling me the park knows about an offense worthy of a fine (if Roller is right) and is not doing anything to correct that? If roller is right, I imagine they don't give the park a free pass with no fine when the park knows about it, yet delays the repair.

Much more importantly, you are posting on a public forum that the park knowingly is not trying to fix a potential safety hazard immediately? Seriously? You don't need to post everything you find out while locking restraints on Vortex, man. So, hypothetically, someone gets injured and finds this thread where a park employee says the park is WELL aware of the issue, yet did nothing about it. How long do you think it takes them to sue?
By tarheel1231
Another idea for a Crossroads makeover (Palmetto Pier):

Move Southern Star to a different location sort of "behind" Dodgems to open up the midway. In the middle, place a Zamperla Watermania (Buccaneer Blasters):

This would give Carowinds a relatively cheap, high capacity, compact water ride. It also isn't an attraction where riders would be soaked in their clothing.

Remove Yo-Yo and replace it with a Zamperla Disk-O named "The Surfer" after the park's former tagada attraction:

Build a full-service Chickie's and Pete's with the full menu found at Cedar Point/Dorney.

Lastly, replace the asphalt with boards (similar to the ones found in the Carolina Boardwalk), move the Lighthouse from the Boardwalk to the entrance of the new midway, and lastly- string lights! String lights everywhere!

I don't care if the concept art sucks, I want this to happen! :D
By redrunner97
tarheel1231 wrote:Wishlist as far as Flying Ace Aerial Chase goes:
-New name: Southern Sidewinder (Edited Version of the former waterslide) Image

I really like that name and the theme is fine. But I don't love the colors.

I say make the track bright pink and the supports a dull orange. They both contrast each other very well and it would bring more color variation to the park. There's too much red/blue/yellow.

Cyclone should be repainted too. Orange track and grey-blue supports (similar to Southern Sidewinder's recent repaint for Carolina Harbor, before its removal) would look great there! It really would give the stormy seas meeting seafoam vibe.

Then Vortex would be the only coaster the needs to repaint before every coaster has an independent color scheme all its own.
By sccoasterbear
I really want an attraction to take the place of Dino's and truly take advantage of the terrain. I know the trend is no new water rides, but some people don't do water parks yet still want to get wet and cool down. So that being said, a flume riding the terrain would be a lot of fun and the trees could stay. Or a great woodie would be awesome also. Shoot the station could be in the old county fair and lift you up the hillside to traverse the area. It would also create some near miss elements for Afterburn. Those near miss elements could even be made to look at though the trains exploded through the supporting structure and maybe even have a burnt look to it.
By tarheel1231
New wishlist for a Carolina Cyclone replacement:

I want to preface this post by saying that I personally love Carolina Cyclone and I would hate to see it leave, but like Thunder Road, it seems to be declining in popularity. Maybe (and hopefully) I'm wrong, but if it ever does get replaced, this is what I'd like to see:

*Cue generic DaFont made logo*

Cliffhanger

Theme: Take a wild, off-road adventure through the Blue Ridge Mountains on this one-of-a-kind thrill ride! But be careful! Powerful winds blow through the valleys and you might just lose your ground!

The Ride: The ride would be a Gerstlauer Infinity coaster. The track colors would be a very light blue for the tracks and a dull brown for the supports. The ride would start out of Carolina Cyclone's station, head into a u-turn, and into the first launch. From there, it would go into a twister section where the Slaughterhouse and the greenhouses currently are. Midway through the ride, it would climb and 150 ft. summit, pause at the crest, and dive into a beyond vertical drop (similar to Hangtime). It would go into a few large turns and inversions before heading into a double-corkscrew and helix finale as an homage to Cyclone.

Theming: The ride would have surroundings and architecture similar to Railblazer but with a "Carolinian" feel. The entrance could include a truck leaning off of a rock.

Lastly, some concept art. I got really lazy and didn't feel like making an exact layout:

By tarheel1231
It's been hinted at by some that we could be seeing another water park expansion, but the fact that the queue house for WWF is still up makes me think otherwise.

In the event of a water park expansion though, I would expect to see a mat racer. That's not a prediction or a wish, it's a demand: Give us a mat racer. :lolno:
By Justin
Chris wrote:
FamousAmos wrote:^^No need Roller.
The park is already WELL aware of the uneven pavers.

Do you think before you post? So you're telling me the park knows about an offense worthy of a fine (if Roller is right) and is not doing anything to correct that? If roller is right, I imagine they don't give the park a free pass with no fine when the park knows about it, yet delays the repair.

Much more importantly, you are posting on a public forum that the park knowingly is not trying to fix a potential safety hazard immediately? Seriously? You don't need to post everything you find out while locking restraints on Vortex, man. So, hypothetically, someone gets injured and finds this thread where a park employee says the park is WELL aware of the issue, yet did nothing about it. How long do you think it takes them to sue?

Chill dude. Everyone including guests are aware of the pavers.

Carowinds had the choice of asphalt pavement or pavers. A supplier provided the pavers and I'm pretty sure Carowinds paid for pedestrian grade pavers. It's a material failure and most pavers don't crumble like the ones at Carowinds are doing. If I take an educated guess Carowinds is probably in deliberation with the supplier. Also the contractor Carowinds used isn't the best.
By tarheel1231
Got an idea for a Nighthawk makeover:

Now in a perfect world, Nighthawk would not be at Carowinds. But now that it's here, it's one of the park's most popular attractions, and it's even advertised as one of the park's signature attractions. The point is that it has just as much presence in the park as Fury, Intimidator, or Afterburn. So instead of ripping it out (since it's incredibly unlikely), I say retheme it to feel more "Carolinian." Do away with the generic Nighthawk theme given to it by Cedar Fair when the park was acquired.

Vertigo!

The Story: Carowinds is named after the Carolinas and the winds that blow across the two states, which makes them an ideal spot for hang gliding. Powerful gusts of wind can send gliders in all directions, and pretty soon, you won't know up and down from left and right! With all the twists, turns, and loops, you'll swear that you've caught Vertigo!

Improvements: TRAINS! New trains that have new restraints and rotate outside of the station are a must! I've said it before and I've said it again: Carowinds can not have one of their signature attractions moving people slower than a senile dog on Ritalin if they want to become a destination park. Nighthawk will never have the throughput of the large B&M's but considering it's just as popular, it should at least have a respectable capacity.

As far as aesthetic upgrades, paint the supports either teal or light blue (similar to Skyrush). Add some hang gliders as props (at the entrance, inside the station), and retheme the zero cars to a hang glider. This part of the post veers even more into the fantasy side of things, but adding chasing lights similar to the ones on Monster would really elevate the ride experience. It would make Nighthawk, at least aesthetically, worthy of being the park's centerpiece attraction. Also, water jets in the lake on the return leg (similar to the ones found on Maverick after the second launch).

If the park needs an excuse to do it, add VR. Just make the system similar to Iron Dragon where riders have to wait until the end of the day to experience it.
By redrunner97
ARROWHEAD - GCI WOODEN COASTER
A GCI woodie in the vein of Mystic Timbers and Gold Striker; sporting classic white supports and a natural wood color track, like so many classic wooden coasters of the past. That's what this ride is: a celebration of the past as we progress into the future.

Arrowhead is themed to the Cherokee Indians of the Carolinas. More specifically, it tells the fabled tale of the battle between native warriors and the evil "Raven Mocker"—a wolf-like sasquatch who tormented the natives and sought to bring death to the tribes.

The train whips around the track like a blazing arrow, speeding towards the beast! The final break run is housed in an enclosed section where flickering red lights (which shaman's believed symbolized the spirits of fallen warriors) are projected all around, accompanied by traditional Cherokee flute music, celebrating victory over the monster.

Maybe even add a visual effect like Mystic Timbers and show a medicine man sitting at a fire, standing watch to protecting the tribe, set to native music? Either way, something like Arrowhead would be a fun way to acknowledge the history of this great land we call The Carolinas, and its original inhabitants.

Currently, the section of the park known as "Crossroads" is actually just three generic areas put together. Change the rest of that section to something else, but keep the name "Crossroads" here (for the spot in front of White Water Falls where Arrowhead would hypothetically go). There's basically an actual crossroads here, thanks to the path dividing the lake. Incorporate Windseeker & the newly relocated Flying Eagles and transform it into a place where the past and future of the Carolinas collides—the actual "Crossroads".

By tarheel1231
^It would be nice to have an attraction or two inspired by the native peoples of this land. Hopefully if they go down that route, they choose something a little less dicey than "Indian Thicket."

Anyways, this is what I'd like to see as far as the layout of the park in the future:

I've already made wishlist posts about a few of these before, but I'll expand upon the ones I haven't.

FOOTHILLS FESTIVAL
A celebration of the Piedmont region of North Carolina. Try to tame the Wild Bull, a floorless rollercoaster with a 90 foot drop and two disorienting inversions. Take a ride on a classic carousel, or brave treacherous waters on Whitewater Rapids (Rip Roarin' Rapids). Catch amazing live productions in the park's theater.

As far as decorations for this section, string pennants everywhere, a little bit of rustic signage to give it that "Foothills" feel.

LOWCOUNTRY
South Carolina's low-lying region home to elegant estates, the beautiful coastline, and the world-famous city of Charleston. Take a ride through a haunted South Carolina manor (Boo Blasters, or some other indoor attraction like a Vekoma Madhouse), race through the streets of Charleston on an out-of-control carriage ride (GCI in Dinos Alive?), or fly over the Catawba River on Catawba Creek Flyers (Woodstock Gliders).

COUNTRY CROSSROADS
Experience the culture of Rural South Carolina. Fly over the region on Vertigo, the Carolina's only flying coaster. Race to victory lane on Intimidator, one of the tallest and fastest rollercoasters in the southeast. Chase one of the wildest tornadoes of the century on Southern Sidewinder, a family suspended coaster. Catch amazing live entertainment and the most delicious food the Carolinas have to offer at Harmony Hall Marketplace.

CLASSIC CAROLINAS
See Charlotte as it was in the 1970's. Guests will be immersed in a neon-filled, high energy, retro atmosphere. Brave Fury 325, the world's tallest and fastest giga coaster, and the heart and spirit of the Charlotte Region. Take a wild joy ride on the tallest hybrid rollercoaster on the east coast, Blazin' Thunder.

Overall, I feel having the park redone like this would give it a much better flow and cover more regions of the Carolinas.