General Carowinds discussion
By egrigg
This was in this mornings Rock Hill Herald .
"A Clover man, his son and his daughter all have lower leg amputations because of a medical condition. All three were born with no shin bones and underwent double leg amputations at the knee shortly after birth. They now use wheelchairs for mobility.

The lawsuit claims the family members, all of whom are season ticket holders, were denied access to rides "not because of legitimate safety requirements" but because of "speculation, stereotypes, and generalizations" about their ability to safely ride them. http://www.heraldonline.com/latest-news/article188502604.html
By egrigg
RollerBee wrote:This is likely the last we will hear about it, the park will either fight it or settle out of court.

For sure they'll pay the family some "hush" money. According to The Herald this isn't the first time this family has been in a litigation against someone. I feel bad for the family I do . However they should know Carowinds can't accommodate them on certain rides. What I'm reading and understanding though is in how it was handled by the park.
By gabed
To be fair a man died on Ride of Steel at Darien Lake because of his leg amputations. If you are missing a leg(s), lap bars won't work for you.
By uscbandfan
I may be wrong but wont bars like Fury and Intimidator work for people who have amputations at the knee since they essentially cradle your crotch and don't touch anything below the upper thigh.
By cadi40
I'd rather them be pissed because they weren't allowed to go on a ride then have something worse happen. If this isn't the first time they have made allegations of something like this then I think Carowinds should fight it. I highly doubt stereotypes were made but maybe instead they misunderstood what a ride attendant said. I do feel bad for them but I'm glad they were denied onto the ride.
By gabed
uscbandfan wrote:I may be wrong but wont bars like Fury and Intimidator work for people who have amputations at the knee since they essentially cradle your crotch and don't touch anything below the upper thigh.

Depending on where the amputation was, this wouldn’t have mattered. If we’re talking no legs whatsoever, your crotch won’t do a thing to keep you secure in that lap bar. If however, their legs were amputated slightly above or below the knee, than they should’ve been fine.

EDIT: Just saw where the article said “no shin bones”. It seems that in theory they would have been fine. But I also think that believing they were denied access out of the meanness of the park is ridiculous.