General Carowinds discussion
By RollerBee
Thoughts on the popularity of Plants Vs Zombies? Could we see the removal of this attraction and/or Yo-yo?
By cwgator
tarheel1231 wrote:Assuming Project Alpha is going in WWF's location, this is the amount of space the park has to work with:

2018-02-10.png

Give or take a couple of acres with the relocation of the flyers. Unless it's no longer standing, I'm assuming the entrance/exit would utilize the queue house from Whitewater Falls.

I see the bathrooms being closed for this project for the space as well. They really are out of the way and made sense with the kiddie pool there. They could build another restroom if needed elsewhere in a more convenient location in Carolina Harbor.
By gabed
RollerBee wrote:Thoughts on the popularity of Plants Vs Zombies? Could we see the removal of this attraction and/or Yo-yo?

Maybe I’m in the minority here but I honestly felt like PvZ was a bit of a misstep. It’s an interesting concept and the theming is pretty good, but I can’t help but feel that it was, for the most part, executed poorly. Between the terribly uneven distribution of riders, half baked animation, or the impossibility of knowing what or where you’re aiming at, it really missed the mark.

Plus it doesn’t really fit into any other theme other than the universe of the game. This really puts the park in a hard place for when they plan on redoing that area, which looks to be next year. If it weren’t so expensive, I wish they would just demolish the building.
By fonzlinney
Just a different opinion on plants versus zombies it’s a pretty cool attraction I do think the other side of the building they can put something in there similar to the days of thunder or something on those lines I think tearing that building down would be a big mistake I have always felt Carowinds needed another kind of a dark ride type action theater in the park. Something like boo blasters ( better maintenance to keep everything working )in a dark ride would be cool maybe have a theme /Family mild adventure coaster type ride with animatronics and the theme the Carolinas from the mountains to the coast.( something like that) Keep boo blasters, plants versus zombies and put something on the other side in the action theater and then add another whole building with a dark ride.
By tarheel1231
I’ve said it before that the old county fair area of Crossroads would make a great boardwalk theme (Palmetto Pier), but since we already have a boardwalk, it might be a bit redundant.

What I hope they do is turn that entire area into a “Lowcountry” themed area that would incorporate stuff from Charleston and the surrounding region. It’d be a relatively easy transition, with rides such as Southern Star and even Boo Blasters to an extent (Charleston is famous for ghost stories. PvZ would still probably look out of place, but it doesn’t really fit that well anyways (not that I don’t enjoy the ride). Charleston has had a naval history, so Afterburn would be a nice fit. The area is right next to Carolina Harbor, so it would make sense.

I may post a picture later this afternoon or what I’d like to see them do to the area.
By sorashaun
tarheel1231 wrote:What I hope they do is turn that entire area into a “Lowcountry” themed area that would incorporate stuff from Charleston and the surrounding region. It’d be a relatively easy transition, with rides such as Southern Star and even Boo Blasters to an extent (Charleston is famous for ghost stories. PvZ would still probably look out of place, but it doesn’t really fit that well anyways (not that I don’t enjoy the ride). Charleston has had a naval history, so Afterburn would be a nice fit. The area is right next to Carolina Harbor, so it would make sense.

I may post a picture later this afternoon or what I’d like to see them do to the area.

The park is not in or near Charleston, so I’m not sure where this idea even came from.
By tarheel1231
Carowinds is supposed to be based on regions and themes of the Carolinas, and though that concept of the park has slowly died over the past few decades, the park has slowly begun to bring it back.

I mean if it wasn’t obvious enough, there’s coasters named “Carolina Goldrusher” and “Carolina Cyclone”, and they just renamed the Jr. Invert “Kiddy Hawk.” The entire waterpark is named “Carolina Harbor” with several references to the Carolinas’ coastal history. They started an event called “Taste of the Carolinas.”
By gabed
sorashaun wrote: The park is not in or near Charleston, so I’m not sure where this idea even came from.

The park isn’t near a beach either and yet it still has the boardwalk and Carolina Harbor. The park is about the Carolinas, not Charlotte. I for one love the low country idea :clap: :clap: :clap:
By RollerBee
tarheel1231 wrote:I’ve said it before that the old county fair area of Crossroads would make a great boardwalk theme (Palmetto Pier), but since we already have a boardwalk, it might be a bit redundant.

What I hope they do is turn that entire area into a “Lowcountry” themed area that would incorporate stuff from Charleston and the surrounding region. It’d be a relatively easy transition, with rides such as Southern Star and even Boo Blasters to an extent (Charleston is famous for ghost stories. PvZ would still probably look out of place, but it doesn’t really fit that well anyways (not that I don’t enjoy the ride). Charleston has had a naval history, so Afterburn would be a nice fit. The area is right next to Carolina Harbor, so it would make sense.

The County Fair theme was moved, I am all for the old County Fair becoming Palmetto Pier(better name than Carolina Boardwalk btw). Ricochet could be moved with the theme as a mod to the former Myrtle Beach Pavilion, I always felt like the Boardwalk and Ricochet were placed in the wrong area. 4D rides are also common at Myrtle Beach so PvZ wouldn’t be as out of place.

Carolina Boardwalk could revert back to a mountain theme or they could tie it into the Reeds Gold Mine area since Goldrusher is there.
By gabed
A lot of people on this site seem to think moving rides is done with ease. This isn't RCT
By tarheel1231
RollerBee wrote:
tarheel1231 wrote:I’ve said it before that the old county fair area of Crossroads would make a great boardwalk theme (Palmetto Pier), but since we already have a boardwalk, it might be a bit redundant.

The County Fair theme was moved, I am all for the old County Fair becoming Palmetto Pier(better name than Carolina Boardwalk btw). Ricochet could be moved with the theme as a mod to the former Myrtle Beach Pavilion, I always felt like the Boardwalk and Ricochet were placed in the wrong area. 4D rides are also common at Myrtle Beach so PvZ wouldn’t be as out of place.

Carolina Boardwalk could revert back to a mountain theme or they could tie it into the Reeds Gold Mine area since Goldrusher is there.

This is exactly the reason I suggested "Palmetto Pier", because of PvZ as a simulator ride wouldn't look misplaced. I'd also like to see the current Boardwalk rethemed to the mountains to free up the Boardwalk theme. My ideal Carowinds would look like this: