General Carowinds discussion
By FamousAmos
It is definitely the Vortex Plaza... This is from Google Maps:
Here are the game stalls in front of Hurler. You can see there is a larger concrete slab between the brick pavers and the asphalt.

Capture2.PNG
Here is the Vortex Plaza. You can see that there are white brick pavers between the asphalt and the red brick pavers.
Capture2.PNG (378.13 KiB) Viewed 4889 times
I think this addition shows how Carowinds is trying to enhance each area of the park. Starting mainly with the 2008 season:
2008: Bondi Beach in Boomerang Bay
2009: Cobra added to RFD section
2010: Intimidator added to Carowinds Plaza
2011: Snoopy's starlight spectacular added to Planet Snoopy
2012: Windseeker added to RFD section
2013: Dinosaurs alive added to Planet Snoopy/County Fair
2014: Slides added to Boomerang Bay, enhanced dining in all areas especially Harmony Hall in Carowinds Plaza along with the moving of Ripcord to that area
2015: We will see Fury 325 added to thrill zone which is a much neglected section that is now being revived and we will see the addition of Slingshot to the Carolina Showplace which is also a VERY neglected area of the park which only features Vortex and the Scrambler.

So what I think we can all see is that this park is definitely on track to being the "Cedar Point of the south" and with the other "surprises" to come along the way I think we will see that resort-style hotel in the near future.

And let it be known I was not talking about enhancing the park in terms of theming just that the park is giving each area something more to offer.
By RollerBee
They could also been leftover from the props for Scary Tales....
That does look like the Vortex Plaza, placement similar to Banshee and Slingshot at KI possibly?

The County Fair could still use a new attraction.
By redrunner97
I, personally, think the area in front of Scream Weaver would look better. I can't really see any place that it appears they would put it (At least not by looking on google maps). But whatever, they know what they are doing. And I trust Mike not to butcher too many trees in the process. :lol:

So, my only question now would be what will the Scream Weaver games' spot be utilized for? Didn't someone say that they'd be removed? If so, anyone got ideas on what that will be?

FamousAmos wrote:Well, they did say to expect some surprises. :wink:

What's the wink for? Know something we don't!? :lolno:
By FamousAmos
I don't know anything more than we currently know. I do agree that the area in front of Hurler [s]is[/s] would be the ideal spot. Ant this "teaser" that Mike posted is just that: a teaser.
Remember all of the teasers before the unveiling of Fury? They led us in every direction imaginable. What if this teaser is just a trick, and that area in front of Hurler will be the location?

But then again, look at this spot in front of Vortex:

Those are also two game stalls. The person who said that the stalls in front of Scream Weaver would go, may have been misled or misunderstood the information. This area would be great, seeing as that area needs some improvement. Only the two trees on either side of the game stalls in front of Vortex would need to be removed and boom, a 250'+ sling shot. The water fountain and surrounding trees wouldn't need to be removed. Also, we don't know where exactly Mike was standing in the Vortex Plaza. Maybe he was standing in the area closest to the game stalls.If this ride is added there, it would benefit the skyline.

But that's just my two cents.
I think it would definitely help fill in that gap in the skyline that is seen when driving down the interstate and also when you enter the park. From pictures posted on the other topic there is a oddly large gap there.
By Jarsh
FamousAmos wrote:The person who said that the stalls in front of Scream Weaver would go, may have been misled or misunderstood the information.

The guy doing the construction tour for our ACE event was the one who mentioned their demise. That doesn't mean they are being replaced with a SlingShot, but they are going to do something with them.
By rctdcifreak
rctdcifreak wrote:Hmmm..... I wonder if we will see a SlingShot added as a quiet surprise or more of a "off" year addition. Would kinda make up for losing the go-carts as far as up-charge attractions go. Not to mention a small footprint and they did say "rides" in the release but of course I would only assume they meant long term.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4163&start=45

...........looks like I was right...........just sayin LOL :lol: :wink:
By FamousAmos
Depending on where it goes, there may be a few trees who may see their end soon... I hope not. But they know what they're doing. If any trees are to be removed, I'm sure that they'll work hard to keep them alive and just move them elsewhere.
By redrunner97
FamousAmos wrote:Depending on where it goes, there may be a few trees who may see their end soon... I hope not. But they know what they're doing. If any trees are to be removed, I'm sure that they'll work hard to keep them alive and just move them elsewhere.

If it does end up in the Vortex plaza, I hope the ride doesn't affect the fountain at all. There's nice shade and seating there and it could be a good place to watch people ride. If the Rougarou thing happens soon to Vortex, they might expect more traffic in the area soon (which could be a positive impact on their decision to place it there). If a couple trees absolutely must go, I would think they have plenty of places for them to be relocated to at the new entrance plaza or elsewhere in the park.

Right now, I'm really just curious as to where it will be placed for real. Mike could be teasing us again. :)
By Axel
Official PR Announcement:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 07802.html

Carowinds Announces Second New Ride for 2015
SlingShot will catapult riders nearly 300-feet high, give them brief weightlessness, then rotate them head-over-heels while bouncing up and down

CHARLOTTE, N.C., Dec. 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- As Carowinds construction crews build the world's tallest and fastest giga coaster, Fury 325, the park announced a second new ride Wednesday called the SlingShot. It will also debut in the Spring of 2015.

A pair of cables will catapult the two-person capsule nearly 300-feet into the air – nearly as high as the Statue of Liberty – at speeds up to 60 mph. After some brief weightlessness, riders will zoom back toward the ground, often rotating head-over-heels and bouncing up and down until they come to rest at the launch point.

The ride will be an additional charge attraction; costs are being determined. SlingShot marks the second new ride at Carowinds for 2015.

"Carowinds will be a destination for thrill-seekers," says Mike Fehnel, Carowinds' vice president and general manager. "We'll have two of the 10 tallest rollercoasters in North America, a total of 14 roller coasters – which is something that only three parks worldwide can top – and now we'll have two new ways for riders to scream with joy at roughly 300 feet in the air."

Like Fury 325, the SlingShot will be visible from uptown Charlotte, renewing the park's skyline along Interstate 77 and serving as a symbol of changes to come. The new rides are part of a planned $50 million multiyear investment plan to bring new life to founder Pat Hall's original vision for Carowinds. The park is being revamped from top to bottom to celebrate Carolina culture, including new rides, attractions and food from different regions.

By FamousAmos
I hope that this will go where those two game stalls are in front of Vortex. Only two trees will need to be relocated so the cranes can come in that area. The fountain area won't be impacted. In fact, it too may get a face-lift.