General Carowinds discussion
By Dude
Blue Moon wrote:^ That won't necessarily "fix" the ride. Sounds good on paper though. The trims don't bother me anyway.

Like Steve said, the trim use is automated due to many variables.

Yeah i know it sounds good but it's too late now lol
By derek_lentz
Dude wrote:I think i know how to solve the trim problem so coaster wont have trims...

Just make the hills on the coaster taller... for example that second hill says its 151ft tall, why didn't they just make the hill about 160ft so there will be no need for a trim..

The same reason why the trims don't catch on every single train:
The speed varies depending on temp & weight.
If the hill was taller, then a slower moving train might not make it over.
I'll throw out a pretty bizarre concept that can be pretty hard to understand for a lot of people sometimes. These rides are engineered and built by REALLY, REALLY, REALLY smart people. REALLY smart. The firm that built this has built over 80 coasters. At this point, I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing and what way is best for their rides to run. I know all the message board engineers may have what they think are good ideas, but let's just defer to the real experts on this one.
By coasterdave
Steve hit the nail on the head. As someone who has worked for another chain I can tell you there was a reason why the trims are placed where they are placed. It might seem pointless at times but there is a reason. I know sometimes it changes the ride experience but I am just happy that they built something like this close to my home, even though I have not rode it alot due to my work.

Just go and enjoy the ride folks. It could be worse for there could be trims from the top of the first drop to the bottom....O Wait there is that up in Virginia.
Today I had 1 trimmed ride and 3 completely untrimmed (including the midcourse) and tbh the difference isn't 'that' huge. I'm a firm believer that trims can kill a ride (hello i305) but Timmy's trims don't ever seem to be too bad. I saw 1 or 2 trains get hit pretty hard by them today, and those videos are pretty accurate as to what it looked/sounded like, but on-ride it's not a terribly big difference. It's not like you suddenly get ejector air without the trims - it's still the normal B&M float-fest no matter where you sit on the train.

EDIT: The videos absolutely confirm what I saw today, and what we have theorized in the past, that the trims activate based on the speed of the train in front of you. This behavior seems to cause a "slow train" "fast train" "slow train" "fast train" pattern at times so I guess you should hope that the train in front of you gets trimmed to hell and back :p. I'm guessing the software that controls the brakes is supposed to control/prevent that sort of self-created "loop" in the system but it certainly seems to happen pretty frequently like that.
Today I had 1 trimmed ride and 3 completely untrimmed (including the midcourse) and tbh the difference isn't 'that' huge. I'm a firm believer that trims can kill a ride (hello i305) but Timmy's trims don't ever seem to be too bad. I saw 1 or 2 trains get hit pretty hard by them today, and those videos are pretty accurate as to what it looked/sounded like, but on-ride it's not a terribly big difference. It's not like you suddenly get ejector air without the trims - it's still the normal B&M float-fest no matter where you sit on the train.
By Cosmo_TAD
^I'm gonna have to say i disagree with your edit.

If you time each train for more than 10 minutes with a stopwatch/computer system/laser device/radar gun/kitchen sink/something better then 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, and it will not take long to realize there is no "loop" in the system. If there was a "loop" in the system, the empty trains getting cleaned would have no chance making it back. Empty trains run the exact same times with no trims as full trains run with trims, even in the middle of the day when a random train goes out empty. It is all about the people on that particular train, pray for a bunch of kids is what you need to do.

I'm proposing a new rule for theorys for everything to do with any roller coaster from the queue line to the main brakes, some sort of time on a stop watch must be included!

Oh and steve, really smart?

Talladega. :lol: :lol: :lol:
By bgwfreak
Yeah I don't buy that either.

I think the lift hill is all the computer is using to control the trims. I believe it weighs the train, then the heavier the train the more it trims you. It has nothing to do with the previous train.

I've been on it when there were maybe 5 people on the whole train and it didn't trim us at all and I had major ejector air the whole second half of the ride.
By jsz1002
RollerCoasterMommy07 wrote:So I haven't been up here in awhile and it seems I missed something..They added trims to this intimidator??..Where and why did they do that???

They've always been there. First trim is going up the 3rd hill and the second is going up the 4th hill after the turnaround.