General Carowinds discussion
By Ty-Rant_13
Homey G. wrote:I'll say it. I hate that B&M had to come up with a more efficient way to have seatbelts. If this country weren't full of preposterous hair-trigger litigious morons, we wouldn't have to idiot proof and engineer around them.

I don't think it was people's stupidity or anything like that that caused B&M to install seat belts on all their coasters, but rather a certain incident involving a certain hybrid coaster that had only a lap bar at a certain Six Flags park in Texas. (And if you still didn't get it, it's the New Texas Giant incident. :roll: ) If Six Flags could prioritize safety a little higher, we might be able to still have all these fun things! I'm sure I could get some flak for this, but Six Flags really drags down the industry in this way...
By coasterbruh
FamousAmos wrote:Whatever I post, feel free to use it. This goes for any of you. But make sure that I am credited for it.
I'm just happy that we all had a great time.

I took the liberty and pulled some of the more important highlights out in screen shots...thanks for filming! :thumbup:

By RollerBee
Ty-Rant_13 wrote:
Homey G. wrote:I'll say it. I hate that B&M had to come up with a more efficient way to have seatbelts. If this country weren't full of preposterous hair-trigger litigious morons, we wouldn't have to idiot proof and engineer around them.

I don't think it was people's stupidity or anything like that that caused B&M to install seat belts on all their coasters, but rather a certain incident involving a certain hybrid coaster that had only a lap bar at a certain Six Flags park in Texas. (And if you still didn't get it, it's the New Texas Giant incident. :roll: ) If Six Flags could prioritize safety a little higher, we might be able to still have all these fun things! I'm sure I could get some flak for this, but Six Flags really drags down the industry in this way...

Umm that accident as I understand could happen anywhere. The lapbar was in the proper position, a seatbelt would not have prevented it. A rider can undo a seatbelt, 95% of lapbars can't be undone by riders.
By Tawny71
coasterbruh wrote:
FamousAmos wrote:Whatever I post, feel free to use it. This goes for any of you. But make sure that I am credited for it.
I'm just happy that we all had a great time.

I took the liberty and pulled some of the more important highlights out in screen shots...thanks for filming! :thumbup:

"And the winner of most modest member of Carowinds Connection goes to..." :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
By Ty-Rant_13
RollerBee wrote:
Ty-Rant_13 wrote:

Umm that accident as I understand could happen anywhere. The lapbar was in the proper position, a seatbelt would not have prevented it. A rider can undo a seatbelt, 95% of lapbars can't be undone by riders.

Some people claim that they heard the woman say it did not feel tight enough and they sent the train anyway. If this is the case, then the employee who (supposedly) heard her would be to blame, or perhaps the manufacturer if the lap bar was faulty (which Six Flags claims and the manufacturer denied), or Six Flags fault if they failed to ensure the installation of (or hire a company that would install) a secured dispatch system (where the train cannot be sent if there are any open seats, which B&M uses). An accident like this gets the idea in people's heads that rides with only a lap bar are unsafe. Even though you can undo your own seatbelt, if someone did that and they died then that would be seen as their fault and not (entirely) the park's nor he ride's. Regardless, it could not happen anywhere because the park could ensure that the ride system has a series of safeguards (multiple ratchets required for dispatch, secured dispatch system, etc.) AND the most competent employees who are trained to always check extremely carefully, even at the risk of losing capacity, especially if someone does not feel safe. Let's not forget that this is the same company (albeit not the same park) that had a guest ejected from Darien Lake's Ride of Steel because his lap bar wasn't closed properly; The problem is not isolated to just one incident.

So you proved my point: The mindset of "It could happen anywhere" is the exact reason intense coasters are now having seatbelts installed. Whether or not having a seatbelt would have saved that woman's life, or anyone who's restraint opens during an intense ride is more or less irrelevant: People want to feel safer regardless of whether or not they actually are, so B&M is installing seatbelts to have more people ride their coasters. I personally know at least one person who would not go on a B&M hyper because it only had a lap bar, but once it got seatbelts, they were (still scared, but) fine with trying it. This is in spite of me telling them repeatedly that the train literally cannot be sent if any of the restraints are even close to being open (at least two or three ratchets down).

A seatbelt alone, in my mind, is not going to be able to hold a 200 pound person in their seat going around an over-banked turn at even sixty km/h, and if the lap bar were to fail, I don't see the news story sounding any better as "the rider was flung from the ride despite still having their seatbelt on." It's all about people feeling safer, not being safer, and Six Flags, as a general rule (in my opinion) does not contribute to this feeling.
By coasterbruh
yeeeaaahhhh....soooo...uuuummm...about the winter warm up... :yawn:
By CarowindsCentral
What are people going to fight about next? We've gone through everything from trims to sand in the rails to lap bars and seat belts. :lol:

Honestly I think the seat belts would have something to do with insurance more than safety. Why does Scrambler warrant a seat belt and a lap bar? It's not as intense as Intimidator, and yet they still have it.
By Homey G.
CarowindsCentral wrote:What are people going to fight about next? We've gone through everything from trims to sand in the rails to lap bars and seat belts. :lol:

Fighting? You don't visit many collegiate sports forums that allow rivals to post, do you?

This is a thread to discuss the ACE event, sure. However, the linear discussion of seatbelts led to my opinion about mandatory seatbelts on coasters where there was none needed before. If there's anything left to pick off the bone about the event, or if I'm derailing the conversation, by all means... continue. :eh:
By coasterbruh
chknwing wrote:coasterbruh, did you donate your hair to Locks of Love or anything like that?

I dont think they would want that "style" of hair. I still have it here, well on top of my giraffe...
By Edwardo
Homey, you'll learn quickly that if you're no oohing or aahing over track installation that the noobs are quick to put you in your place ;-).
By Jarsh
ATTENTION WINTER WARM UP ATTENDEES:

I'll be sending out a Fury 325 Media Day RSVP email to everyone who registered later this week. YOU MUST REPLY BACK IN ORDER TO ATTEND THE EVENT. If you do not RSVP, then you will not get on the list that I'm sending the park and you won't be allowed into the event.

Be aware that there WILL NOT be a +1 option for people to bring a guest to the event. This list is only for those people who registered for Winter Warm Up and no one else.
By Sharebear010
Just curious, will we receive an email back confirming that you received the reply to the RSVP? I replied to the email, I just don't trust my phone sometimes lol.
By Jarsh
I'm checking them off on my list as I get them in. As you can imagine, I got a flood of email RSVP's so I decided not to respond to every one of them.

As the date gets closer and I get more information, I will send another email to those who RSVP'ed. For the record, I do believe I got both of your emails.