General Carowinds discussion
By Jonathan
Looked like the Winterfest thread was headed that direction, so let's move it to this one.

<a href='http://www.jonathan-hawkins.net/photos/albums/userpics/10001/smurfisland4.JPG' target='_blank'>HERE</a> are the secret plans that I managed to uncover
By coasterbruh
OMG!!11!1! I thought those plans were burnt and were to not see the light of day again!! Let me make a phone call right quick! :angry:
By RollerBee
:rolleyes: Undoubtly someone has been smoking too. I think we will see one or two waterslides removed.
By coasterbruh
Man im glad you dont get paid to think...
By Jonathan
This just in over the wire: Thunder Road is being taken out. They are putting the wood to <a href='http://www.jonathan-hawkins.net/photos/albums/userpics/10001/normal_voyage.jpg' target='_blank'>good use though</a>.

:D
By montumax
From my insider (ha!) knowledge...

Thunder Road is going to be torn down for a bigger version of Kingka Ka.

Don't expect an announcement for the 2006 attraction in July.....
By RollerBee
:rolleyes: That is all I have to say.
By CoasterChris
Thats just wrong, Putting that Crappy HW coaster on the Carowinds map.

Well not sure if it's crappy or not yet but it has steel supports so more then likely.

I like the first pic but where would Borg go, we have to keep the ride.
By montumax
Crappy? CRAPPY? How can you call a coaster crappy when it hasn't even been built and rode yet? I think The Voyage is gonna be absolutely in*****ingcredible. Holiday World doesn't do bad wooden coasters.

As far as the steel supports, please see my response in the HW 2006 thread. I think it will be very well maintained.
By Jay
CoasterChris wrote: .....that Crappy HW coaster....

BAN PLZ!

Seriously.. at least go to Holiday World before you start making stupid assumptions.. Just because it is steel supported does not mean it will be bad. Steel supported woodies are cheaper and less maintenance overall, the reason that some steel woodies are bad is because of poor upkeep and/or those god awful Gerstlauer trains. The steel structure affects the ride very little if at all.

--Jay (Who says ride some coasters before you decide to talk out of your butt)
By montumax
Also, I believe that you can do certain things with steel supports that you can't do with wooden ones. That's what I was told when I was doing a story on the Hurricane Category -4.

Just look at that layout for TV. I can see why they went with steel supports.
By Jonathan
It was pointed out on another board that steel supports will also allow the park to remove much less trees. With wooden supports the very tall sections of the ride would need bracing spreading outward, and with steel they can just build straight up.
By coasterbruh
...and adding my two cents, it was also done for mantiance and the ride can go up much quicker!
By dukefanswimmer89
Thats just wrong, Putting that Crappy HW coaster on the Carowinds map.

Well not sure if it's crappy or not yet but it has steel supports so more then likely.

I like the first pic but where would Borg go, we have to keep the ride.

First, notice his silence after that ;)

Second, i'd much rather a hyper then Borg, the only purpose I give Borg is to take away lines from the real signature ride, Top Gun.... i guess i ride every now and then.. but the flying thrill wears off!!!

Third, it would be AWESOME :rolleyes: to have HW's Voyage at Carowinds... idk but this year i've reallly lost alot of respect for TR, it doesn't deliver half the punch it used to and is becoming really rough... i could care less if it were removed, it takes up so much space!!!

Also, I noticed that in the hyper pic, the River Queen is back.. Some ppl would be thrilled if that's how it worked out.. as for me, i'd much rather have that shortcut path then the queen, she served no purpose except to be a space-taker and nostalgic piece of history.. i don't mind her gone...
By bgwfreak
I heard this from the Dippin Dots guy so you know it's true.

SFGadv is going to sell us Kingda Ka since they obviously can't get it running.

Carowinds will then put it up here, it will run only half the season, then they'll remove 30 feet off the top of it so that it works properly. This will still give us the record over CP.

The CP fanboys will sneak in one night and burn it to the ground.

PC then will then install a rollerskater and call it Borg's revenge.