General Carowinds discussion
By Cephas
Do you think the author is a member here that got fired by Carowinds? After all, out of all places, it was sent to us.

If this letter is real and not a fake, then I admire the author's guts! What a brave dude!

Is there a union for the Carowinds employees? Maybe that's the reason the people were fired. After all, employers hate unions.
By bmitchell53
I used to work at the park and I keep in contact with some people who are still employed. From the people I have talked to about the layoffs there was more people laid off that what was reported. Also the reason among employees for the layoff was low attendance this past season. Of course the low attendance is because of all the rain that Charlotte got this summer. While Carowinds is within their right to layoff employees, firing people because of rain is questionable. Also Carowinds fired/ laid off/ transferred 5 of the 6 vice-presidents in the park with the only v.p. remaining being over human resources

Since when is Ron Rankin not the GM of Carowinds anymore he was just hired in August?
By LocoDriver
AMartin777 wrote: Quite right. The very nature of posting the e-mail is not an action of endorsement or disagreement. Jonathan has every right to post this e-mail without revealing its source. It is up to the reader to determine the intent of the author's, not Jonathan's, reasons for doing so. I believe the reason for posting the e-mail was to start a dialog amongst the members of this forum on a very important issue related to the operation of Carowinds.

Our discussion has been tempered and well within reason to this point. As I mentioned in my previous post, it is important that we deal with facts and not speculation. This does not, however, mean we should refrain discussing the very nature of Paramounts actions as they relate to the operation of Carowinds. The very action of laying off full time employees, with the intent of replacing them with seasonal help, could be labled a questionable business decision given the right circumstances.

The author of the e-mail is purporting that not only is this action bad in a general sense but moreover, is also a drain on the employee experience base due to many of the employees having long, continuous tenures with the park. I presume that seasonal help will consist of less experienced, though fully competent, employees. It could be argued that these seasonal employees may not provide the same level of performance as a more experienced employee regardless of what the specific tenures are.

The issues derived from the e-mail should be discussed. The e-mail is simply a catalyst to that end. Jonathan is certainly justified in posting it for that reason alone. Maintaining the author's anonymity is the right control for preventing the e-mail from becoming an issue for Paramount or Carowinds employees.

What if I were to tell you that I heard someone from PC was upset for not only this being posted, but some other issues that were leaked out.

I heard from a very reliable source that some mgmt. at PC was very unhappy with some of the topics that were being placed on the board. I think sometimes if someone is given information in confidence then it should remain that way. Also if someone is going to post an e-mail from somone else, I think it's good to make sure that the e-mail was not sent out of anger. Make sure that all the facts are straight. Having said that, maybe the facts are straight. It sure sounds like a bitter laid off employee to me.

I belive this is a nice site. We have some very good topics on here. Unfortunatley we have a few things being discussed (ice storm, people being laid off etc.) that really doesn't belong. Of course this is just my opinion, but from what I've heard it's several important people's opinions at the park!

Just food for thought. I never intended to piss anyone off. Just saying be carefull not to bite the hand that feeds you. ;)
By LocoDriver
AMartin777 wrote: Quite right. The very nature of posting the e-mail is not an action of endorsement or disagreement. Jonathan has every right to post this e-mail without revealing its source. It is up to the reader to determine the intent of the author's, not Jonathan's, reasons for doing so. I believe the reason for posting the e-mail was to start a dialog amongst the members of this forum on a very important issue related to the operation of Carowinds.

Our discussion has been tempered and well within reason to this point. As I mentioned in my previous post, it is important that we deal with facts and not speculation. This does not, however, mean we should refrain discussing the very nature of Paramounts actions as they relate to the operation of Carowinds. The very action of laying off full time employees, with the intent of replacing them with seasonal help, could be labled a questionable business decision given the right circumstances.

The author of the e-mail is purporting that not only is this action bad in a general sense but moreover, is also a drain on the employee experience base due to many of the employees having long, continuous tenures with the park. I presume that seasonal help will consist of less experienced, though fully competent, employees. It could be argued that these seasonal employees may not provide the same level of performance as a more experienced employee regardless of what the specific tenures are.

The issues derived from the e-mail should be discussed. The e-mail is simply a catalyst to that end. Jonathan is certainly justified in posting it for that reason alone. Maintaining the author's anonymity is the right control for preventing the e-mail from becoming an issue for Paramount or Carowinds employees.

What if I were to tell you that I heard someone from PC was upset for not only this being posted, but some other issues that were leaked out.

I heard from a very reliable source that some mgmt. at PC was very unhappy with some of the topics that were being placed on the board. I think sometimes if someone is given information in confidence then it should remain that way. Also if someone is going to post an e-mail from somone else, I think it's good to make sure that the e-mail was not sent out of anger. Make sure that all the facts are straight. Having said that, maybe the facts are straight. It sure sounds like a bitter laid off employee to me.

I belive this is a nice site. We have some very good topics on here. Unfortunatley we have a few things being discussed (ice storm, people being laid off etc.) that really doesn't belong. Of course this is just my opinion, but from what I've heard it's several important people's opinions at the park!

Just food for thought. I never intended to piss anyone off. Just saying be carefull not to bite the hand that feeds you. ;)
By Jonathan
I think sometimes if someone is given information in confidence then it should remain that way.

I was asked to post it. If the park were to have issues with anything posted here, then they are free to contact me, but since I've never spoken with anyone at the park about this site then I'm not worried about that right now. This was posted to stimulate discussion, and I don't see how it is anymore controversial than posts saying Carowinds is falling aprt because they removed the riverboat.
By LocoDriver
Jonathan wrote:
I think sometimes if someone is given information in confidence then it should remain that way.

I was asked to post it. If the park were to have issues with anything posted here, then they are free to contact me, but since I've never spoken with anyone at the park about this site then I'm not worried about that right now. This was posted to stimulate discussion, and I don't see how it is anymore controversial than posts saying Carowinds is falling aprt because they removed the riverboat.

I'm sorry, I was under the impression that you may receive some inside info from staffers at PC. If not then need not worry. If so then you may see that insider connection grow cold.
By coasterbruh
Ever heard the phrase "dont fire until you see the white of their eyes"? Besides no one is gonna completly agree with anyone. So what PC may be upset. Are they sponsoring this site...........no (as far as i know) Im pretty sure they have more important issues to ponder on than something posted in a forum. Personally i think what jon did is good. He wanted to see others feelings on something beside the thrill and coasters aspect of the park. Some dont care about anything besides the coasters and thrils, but they dont realize that situations like these determine how the park is ran and what will be instore for the GP.

I strongly urge people to find out the facts before going around assuming that something is going on the way they think. Oh yeah and utilize the PM feature!!

Side bar**

As far as i know Jon gets his info from himself besides the occasional pictures from that ken person.............
By AMartin777
LocoDriver wrote: What if I were to tell you that I heard someone from PC was upset for not only this being posted, but some other issues that were leaked out.

Then I would suggest to you that this individual is failing to approach the posts on this board with fairness and objectivity. This forum exists to discuss issues that pertain to Carowinds be they postive or otherwise. Often posts will be driven from negative reactions to decisions made by Paramount in relation to the park. The notion that we will only discuss innocuous, candy-coated topics is unrealistic and shortsited.

Very few of the topics that have appeared on this forum have addressed any issues that were "hidden" or "secret" from the public. I feel we have treated this and other issues with the utmost of prudence. Our self censorship should be driven from a desire to deal with what is true not because a topic may be uncomfortable for Carowinds management. Any truth that exists within a contentious issue will ultimately result in someone's discomfort.
By Davidson640
AMartin777 wrote:
LocoDriver wrote: What if I were to tell you that I heard someone from PC was upset for not only this being posted, but some other issues that were leaked out.

Then I would suggest to you that this individual is failing to approach the posts on this board with fairness and objectivity. This forum exists to discuss issues that pertain to Carowinds be they postive or otherwise. Often posts will be driven from negative reactions to decisions made by Paramount in relation to the park. The notion that we will only discuss innocuous, candy-coated topics is unrealistic and shortsited.

Very few of the topics that have appeared on this forum have addressed any issues that were "hidden" or "secret" from the public. I feel we have treated this and other issues with the utmost of prudence. Our self censorship should be driven from a desire to deal with what is true not because a topic may be uncomfortable for Carowinds management. Any truth that exists within a contentious issue will ultimately result in someone's discomfort.

And what if I were to tell YOU that management, and for that matter, PPI corporate is reading and more importantly POSTING on these boards, more specifically, this thread...and I don't think they're all too happy about the way this story is being portrayed, and for that matter, being discussed in a public forum at all.

When something is turned into "Public Knowledge," when it is quite clear that it's private, confidential (Name of rides, new attractions, inner workings etc.) You expect the park to take it with a grain of salt? I certainly wouldn't if I owned a company with rivals "right down the street" so to speak.

If this information were to be "public information," then a press release or at the least a statement from the park would have been issued. In this case, nothing was issued, therefore it is still Private Information for discussion only within the company.

Bottom line...the thread needs to be locked and deleted. The information in it is too sensitive and clearly privatized to be in a public forum.
By LocoDriver
I had a feeling that someone was listning and not liking. Thanks for confirming my thoughts Davidson640.
By coasterdave
Davidson640 wrote:
And what if I were to tell YOU that management, and for that matter, PPI corporate is reading and more importantly POSTING on these boards, more specifically, this thread...and I don't think they're all too happy about the way this story is being portrayed, and for that matter, being discussed in a public forum at all.

When something is turned into "Public Knowledge," when it is quite clear that it's private, confidential (Name of rides, new attractions, inner workings etc.) You expect the park to take it with a grain of salt? I certainly wouldn't if I owned a company with rivals "right down the street" so to speak.

If this information were to be "public information," then a press release or at the least a statement from the park would have been issued. In this case, nothing was issued, therefore it is still Private Information for discussion only within the company.

Bottom line...the thread needs to be locked and deleted. The information in it is too sensitive and clearly privatized to be in a public forum.

Well I really hate to tell you the this but I am sure that the webmaster is aware that people from the park does stop by to look at the boards. As I said in my earlier post if you have a problem with what someone has posted or you think that it is what you call insider info that should not be leaked to the public then once again maybe you should e-mail the webmaster instead of complaining here.

If you would have took time and searched other fan sites then I am sure you will find other so called insider info on any fan site. Maybe you should also take time and maybe check them out.

You are claiming that you know that PPi is posting in this thread, then maybe if they are not happy with this info then maybe that someone should at least e-mail the webmaster about it.

Have a nice day.
By Jonathan

Then perhaps they should post and clear things up? It's not like this is some top secret hush hush thing; it was in all the local newspapers, and was posted in the news here a couple weeks ago.
By AMartin777
Jonathan wrote: Then perhaps they should post and clear things up? It's not like this is some top secret hush hush thing; it was in all the local newspapers, and was posted in the news here a couple weeks ago.

Precisely. The PUBLIC FACTS as they were printed in the newspapers involved the layoff of full time employees from the park. "The Beaufort Gazette", "The Herald", "The State.com", "WCNC" in Charlotte, "Theme Parks Online" and several others have all made public this information. This is PUBLIC information, not private, therefore we are free to discuss it as much as we please. As for the name of the new coaster, without knowing if the e-mail itself is authentic or not, one cannot assume that the information is even valid. I could create a post and say the name of the coaster will be "The Strawberry Shortcake Flyer" but that doesn't make it so.

I would like to know what information has been made "public knowledge" that is "quite clear that it's private". If you are refering to the name of the coaster, then you are suggesting that the name in the e-mail is accurate when, in fact, we have NO CONCLUSIVE PROOF that the information in the e-mail is even true.

As I have already stated previously, it is important that we deal with facts and not conjecture. I personally havn't made any comment concerning the name of the coaster because I do not KNOW what the name is, regardless of the e-mail.
By radial
This supposedly anonymous email that no one believes is a moot point. A simple google search confirms the laid off 20 employees. Why argue over it when you can do some research and find out something that happened a few weeks ago?

<a href='http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=carowinds+laid+off' target='_blank'>http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...owinds+laid+off</a>

Phil Hart
http://www.radialmonster.com
By thfc
Not trying to pick sides here, but it's pretty obvious that the email is not genuine.

As previous posters have said, if the poster were really a former park employee, he'd know that Rankin was moved back to California right about when Scarowinds started up this year (a good while before the layoffs occured). Also the the former GM's name was Rod and not Rob. I would hope that a former employee could spell the name of his boss... also D and B are nowhere near each other on the keyboard so i'm doubting it was a typo.

-ThFC