General Carowinds discussion
By bgwfreak
Oh please.

Talk to me in August.

That'll be hot.
By coasterdave
I am at awe that Wes is talking how hot it is in Aug. Beat the horse abit more.

On a side note: Hope everyone has a great time on it.
By bgwfreak
Ok....beat beat beat...
By coasterdave
That is something that I would expect from reading Trollnetwork.
By bgwfreak
Thank you. I'll give your regards to Steven. :P
By Stefan
It might not be as serious as the media made it out to be, but it still makes me a little nervous <_<
By Scott@Carowinds
Hello everyone. It is, in fact, Scott Anderson from the park. I've read everyone's posts on here for the last several years with great enjoyment. I love the fact that you are all so passionate about the park. You're truly our greatest ambassadors.

The reason for my post (as if the topic it's posted in doesn't give it away) is to clear up all of the information that's out there on the Borg incident. Some of you made some very good assumptions and some of you seem to have some inside knowledge of the incident and the way Borg is operated (We'll get to that in a minute).

As the train was leaving the station, while it was still in touch with the electrical supply that only exists in the station, the operator mistakenly pressed the button that unlocks the "GAUs" that hold the seats in the reclining position. This did not rotate the seats up, but simply loosened the mechanism that holds them in place. When the train went over the lift, the seats rotated forward and at some point during the first few seconds of the ride, locked into the upright position. This drastically slowed the momentum of the train, which is why it did not make the vertical loop.

This issue has been corrected. The system should have never allowed the button to function when the train was in motion. Now we're sure it won't. If that button is pressed at any time after the train starts moving, it generates an audible alarm and an automatic e-stop.

There has been a lot of speculation, fueled by some media inaccuracies, that this had something to do with the restraint system, that we were trying to cover something up by saying operator error, and on and on. Let me just say that what I stated to you above is exactly what we told all of the media - punctuated about 20 times by the fact that this had nothing to do with the restraints and no one was ever in danger of falling out. There's also been a lot of talk related to the "injuries" received. In fact, all of the associates climbed down a ladder and walked to First Aid under their own power. All of the transports to the hospital were precautionary.

Addressing those on this board who are employees of the park and post information that they obtain through that employment, I want to refer you to your employee handbook. You are not spokespersons for the park and should never, under any circumstances, post information that you learn while on the job. It's a fine line to walk, but you need to be extremely careful and talk only about topics that are public knowledge. There are a number of very questionable posts. I'll just leave it at that. But know that if we find out you're doing this (and we will eventually find out who you are), there will be consequences. Just ask a guy named Rollernut who posts over on Thrill Network.

So I've had my say. Don't expect me to become a regular poster. It takes something extraordinary to get me to do this and I don't anticipate it coming along again any time soon. And please don't temper expressing your opinions because you think we're watching you. This is your refuge. Your place to chat and say how you feel. The park will never interfere with that and will never take any of you to task for sharing those opinions. Only when it compromises the integrity of your position at the park by sharing "inside knowledge" is this an issue.

Have a great year at the park everyone. And if you see me (as several of you did Saturday), say hello. I always enjoy talking to you.

Scott
By deaconnor
Why'd Roller Nut get banned?
By MarkD
^ Don't worry about the Nut.

Thanks Scott for droping by, clearing things up and "hopefuly" chilling the writings of others.

Hope to see you soon at the park!
By bgwfreak
Thanks Scott for the explanation. Hopefully this clears it up.

Of course there will probably be urban legends about this from now on. There will be some kid saying "Last week 500 people fell out of Borg when it got hit by lightning when the Borg landed their ship!"
By Stefan
As safe as people can make something out to feel, humans are still imperfect, and things can happen. This just creeped me out a little bit.
By sixflagsguy5
I suggest that everyone who goes to the park still rides BORG. BORG is a sweet ride, and this is coming from someone who can't stand flying coasters one bit.

Weird and rare accidents are going to happen on almost every coaster at some time, but as coaster riders you can't let it get to you. Coasters are designed to be so safe now-a-days that it is almost impossible for someone to get seriously injured on a coaster because of a problem with the ride. People do stupid things on their own and that's the only way that you'll get hurt.

I'm from the SFGAM area and I know what scott meens about employees posting. It can get very annoying having people acting like they know more than everyone else. Usually this isn't the case and they're just trying to feel cool.

I hope everyone from Carowinds has a sweet coaster season.