General Carowinds discussion
By theonewhoknows
I agree with you KenB.. the media get out of hand in these cases.. As for the what stopped the cars in the loop it was plain old gravity.. In the winter of 2004 during testing engineers sent the train out in Automatic for the first time.. the car locking pins retracted as the train was still in or just leaving the staion due to a programming error.. this caused the cars to flop down as the train made its rounds.. when entering the loop each car was in the up posistion that drag stopped the train half way up the loop..
I have not heard through sources I know that still work there what could have happened this time..
By bgwfreak
<a href='http://www.wsoctv.com/news/11298370/detail.html' target='_blank'>http://www.wsoctv.com/news/11298370/detail.html</a>

Yep. Here's the details like Ken said.

I see what you'r saying on the seats Ken. It's very likely it just valleyed because of the seats being up. If you've ever watched that thing when it's empty, it barely makes the loop anyway, so any amount of wind resistance would slow it down enough to stop it.

How come the press is so stupid they don't know the difference between the seats staying flat and the restraints unlocking? <_<

Poor Scott. I'd hate to put up with them all day.
By TopGunUkno
So...any word of it OPENING saturday?
I mean...if they need a test dummy....
I'm your dummy! =]

(Besides if BORG isn't open...TOP GUN's lines..will be worst. And I don't want everyone crowding MY RIDE. :rolleyes:
By chargercrazy
This could be good for us though. Maybe this will scare away some of the park patrons from coming on opening day and the park will be a little less crowded.

But yeah, you are right. If the BORG is closed, the crowd that ususally stands in line for it will be dispersed around the park.
By Thriller
Has Carowinds ever had a death on a ride? I know Thunder Road crashed about seven years ago after a brake failure, but that is all I can remember. It seems to me that Carowinds has an excellent safety record and this was just something that happens and I think Carowinds had many safety features in place to keep the riders safe. I trust every ride at Carowinds and I've never felt unsafe! :D
By bgwfreak
No. To my knowledge no deaths. Which is amazing looking at the intelligence of the visitors some days. :D Yes. Jarvis I'm talking about you. :o ;)

Ken knows more than I do, but I don't remember one.
By KenB
The only death that I'm aware of was the girl getting hit by a stray bullet in the wave pool, which I think happened back in the '80s. The area around the park wasn't nearly as developed back then, and some redneck.....er, "hunters" were target shooting quite a ways away where they thought was a safe distance away from anyone. It may have been over a mile, I can't recall exactly. One bullet hit a teenager in the wave pool and killed her, and it took some time to figure out what happened since there was no obvious shooter.

There haven't been any ride-related deaths, nor any serious injuries that I'm aware of. The most serious incident would probably be the Thunder Road collision, followed by BORG's recent mishap. There have been some deaths at it's sister parks, but everything I've read on the incidents at Kings Island and Kings Dominion indicate that they were caused mostly by the guests' combined stupidity and / or drunkenness.

The only time I've personally seen someone almost get seriously hurt by a ride at Carowinds was, oddly enough, on Frenzoid. A girl around 10 years old had her hand resting against the round pad on the lapbar as they were lowering them. Her elbow got jammed against the seat and she couldn't move her arm as the restraint kept applying pressure and it got stuck. I was a bit worried, since to release the restraints they usually have to push down, which I feared would break the girl's arm. The crew jumped in right as she (and everyone else) started yelling, and manually released the lapbars with a big wrench / crowbar contraption. This took a bit of time, but she seemed ok afterwards as she went ahead and rode it after they got everything reset. Looked pretty painful during the ordeal though.

Of course the way that thing attacks my privates before and after each ride, I think it's evil and wants blood, so I'm not terribly surprised it did that. I doubt the name change or move will change Frenzoid's violent squishing behavior. Oddly enough I do like the ride in spite of that.

In one of the few times that Six Flags did something that made more sense, SFOG used to have you put your fists under the pad of Looping Starship as it lowered, so it didn't squeeze us guys in a rude fashion. Probably keeps arms safe too now that I think about it.

KenB

P.S. And remember, it's Ken R that probably knows all there is to know about Carowinds, not me :P
By bgwfreak
^ That's what I meant. lol I just forget to say which Ken.

I also do the SFOG thing myself on Frenzoid, or did I should say. It saves you from being squeezed to death.

Too bad our model doesn't loop around 5 times like theirs did. :lol:
By swampfox43
The news just reported that the cause of the accident was operator error. The ride operator accidently pressed a button that released the seat locking mechanism while the ride was in motion.

So, there ya go. :o
By Jonathan
Uhhh is it just me or does it seem like there shouldn't be a button that does that?
By Carowinds2005
Ride Malfunction At Carowinds Blamed On Human Error

POSTED: 3:23 pm EDT March 20, 2007

YORK COUNTY, S.C. -- A Carowinds spokesperson says it was human error that caused a rollercoaster mishap on Saturday.
Seven park employees were hurt after the seats on the Borg Assimilator suddenly flipped to an upright position during the ride.
Eyewitness News has learned that the ride operator accidentally pushed a button that unlocks the seat position.
A Carowinds representative said the problem has been fixed so now if the button is pressed during the ride, the seats won't unlock.
Officials are hopeful the ride will be open on Saturday.

<a href='http://www.wsoctv.com/news/11308720/detail.html' target='_blank'>http://www.wsoctv.com/news/11308720/detail.html</a>
By deaconnor
So why wouldn't BORG open now?
By Thriller
:o Why would any coaster have a button that would do that. Boy I hope that "<span style='color:red'><span style='font-family:Courier'>Southern Star</span></span>" is not equipped with this button!
By MarkD
So, they only mention the button has been fixed so that won't happen again but they didn't say the person who pressed it probably ain't going to get another chance at pushing it.

Iron with so many safety features built in to these coasters that something like that would be overlooked.
By Chris
deaconnor wrote: So why wouldn't BORG open now?

They have to wait for the inspectors from BOTH states to give them the OK. :(