General Carowinds discussion
By ThePatchmanTG KID
Ok let me put it like this, it's liek driving for the first time, you are not going to be perfect. Cedar Fair is testing the waters in different areas to see what will work out. We should not care about a roof or little details like that. Only care about that their are rides still there. Carowinds is still a great place, I am just happy that we still have rides and a park there. Carowinds is like a celebrity, we like them but sometimes we do not like what they do. We have no say. Do I support somethings the pakr has done? yes and no. But still just care that carowinds is here to stay.
By coasterbruh
WTF!!! How is this like driving for the first time??? Cedar UNfair isnt new to theme parks they have been in the business longer than paramount was. I understand you wanted to get on the soap box and all but dude, its not working lol...

Your post has failed!!
By ThePatchmanTG KID
Your post has failed!!

Thank you for being so kind :roll: telling me my post has failed, does not make me feel welcome at all.

I am not trying to get on a dang soap box or some bull crap like that. I am not a moron. I know that cedar fair is not knew to theme parks. Sorry if my analogy was not good. I agree it was not. I mean they are test driving out the park. I get that they have years of running theme parks. I know that already.

I think Cedar Fair has been fair with somethings. I do not like everything they have done. I am going to weigh it out over the years and not judge them after 2 years. I will look at the 3rd year.
By coasterbruh
again...how is cedar UNfair "test driving" the park... they arent adding anything that is to "test" a concept or ride design! The only thing they are test driving is my patience! :lol:
By RollerBee
They are cleaning up the mess Paramount Parks left behind in the way the park is operated, the budget, and other things.
By ThePatchmanTG KID
The thing I have is operations are much better. I have seen the staff running things alot better. I think the park is a little cleaner too. However, the theming is all gone. That is not doing it for me. I do not really like the new additions they have added, except the yoyo and it's good they brought southern star. I like that they added an ice show. It has pros and cons. It's just the park has been getting boring for me. We need something new. I understand the park is cutting down in addition costs and waiting to use the money on something great.
By RollerBee
Actually it seems to me that Cedar Fair has put more money into the capital investment part of the budget. Paramount Parks started putting in new rides in 2004. Putting Frenzoid back in was a last minute decision by Cedar Fair because Paramount Parks & Carowinds wanted to remove Cyclone and put KD's Flight of Fear there. Chances are Frenzoid was Carowinds' 2nd choice for 2007. By the way, a new wavepool last I heard costed 3 million dollars. Compare that to the relocation costs of Nighthawk...
By arjaybee
Cedar Fair has said many times over that it would take 3 to 5 years to "fully integrate" all of the changes they wanted to make to improve the parks they acquired from Paramount. To this point they have only made minor cosmetic changes so I can understand the disappointment especially for long standing season passholders (myself included) but, all will be forgiven when Carowinds gets a new attraction on the scale of Behemoth or Dominator or Millinium Force. Cedar Fair has shown in the past that they are no strangers to new construction and to this point Carowinds has not benefited from any major capitol expenditure from CF, but I believe that will change within the next 2 years. Canada's Wonderland, Great America, Kings Dominion, Kings Island may all be in line in front of Carowinds but the queue is much shorter now. They have until the end of this decade to impress me. All of Carowinds' previous owners have left their mark. I'm expecting something big from Cedar Fair.
By RollerBee
2007-Firehawk
2008-Dominator,Bemoth(sp?)
2009-Unknown GCI(CGA), Unknown(KI)
My guess is unless we get a used coaster from Geauga Lake, we will waiting until 2010 for a new coaster.
Rumors I have heard for Carowinds:
Head Spin - Also rumored for Kings Dominion, I doubt this one.
Hypersonic XLC - For Sale, I doubt this one too.
By cdp123
RollerNut wrote:Actually it seems to me that Cedar Fair has put more money into the capital investment part of the budget. Paramount Parks started putting in new rides in 2004. Putting Frenzoid back in was a last minute decision by Cedar Fair because Paramount Parks & Carowinds wanted to remove Cyclone and put KD's Flight of Fear there. Chances are Frenzoid was Carowinds' 2nd choice for 2007. By the way, a new wavepool last I heard costed 3 million dollars. Compare that to the relocation costs of Nighthawk...

Cyclone < Flight of Fear

Better Ride, Better Theme, less rough.
A premier with a lapbar, WOW LIFE SUCKS, right?

Paramount made the largest investment in Carowinds history in '99, Volcano was 20 Million, need I go on? And besides all Cedar Fair did that was truly a big deal was put Behemoth in at Canada's Wonderland, and that's just because of the competition with La Ronde "down the road". Come on, X-Flight @ KI really isnt a big deal, and all they did to Dominator was repaint it. Paramount changed Carowinds, but kept it beautiful and entertaining by making it a "movie park" Cedar Fair just made it bland and boring like it's other parks.
By RollerBee
Actually the largest investment in Carowinds history was the construction of the park at 30(1970s) million dollars. Afterburn was 14 million. Honestly, I never saw Afterburn as that great of a ride when compared to Batman:The Ride at Six Flags. Paramount Parks started out great, but after Afterburn they started slipping. As far as beauty, maybe i terms of rides, but in terms of landscaping...Paramount flopped for a long time. Paramount Parks could have done much more with the "Movie Theme Park" crap, which I think was away for Paramount to advertise their new releases and re-releases on VHS, i theaters, and DVD. Kings Island always got the better theming. Look at Nick Central compared to Nick U at Kings Island. They have more theming, and a higher quality. We got plywood cutouts, they got figures. As far as Flight of Fear goes, the theme was going to be changed more than likely, and rumor had it that the ride would not be enclosed.

And another thing is, CAROWINDS gets a choice of what they want, Cedar Fair I imagine gives them a budget and approves their choice, but CAROWINDS does get to pick what they get normally. Carowinds picked Boomerang Bay over Italian Job.
Last edited by RollerBee on May 18th, 2008, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By cdp123
If you're going to say that crap, you must really be a jerk, because you know what i mean when I say largest investment...and you think that BTR is better than Top Gun? The loops are more intense...yipee...but our batwing is more intense that BTR's loops or any element, I honestly think BTR is overated. Also, sure, they got better themeing, but we got made up for in the theming area with better (non-launched) coasters. KI can't touch a BORG's ride technology or Afterburn in general. Also, there's nothing better in KI's theming other than NickU...

Paramount were great park operators, they themed rides well, advertised better, and also, no, you're wrong, no rides had to do with movie hype, most were about Paramount classics...and sure, they're gonna advertise movies around the park, companies advertise, is that new to you?
By RollerBee
My point is it isn't just Cedar Fair that makes the calls, CAROWINDS has say in it's attractions. If Carowinds had got what they wanted in 2003, The riverboat would have been repaired instead of getting the claw. We would have still gotten BORG, but the riverboat would have been drydocked. Paramount Parks didn't want to give Carowinds the money to fix it. The only ride to ever have any quality theming at Carowinds was Nighthawk..even Scooby-Doo's Haunted Mansion is nothing more than standard theming with Scooby-Doo and Shaggy scattered in. At 51 MPH, what difference in the ride does a giant golf ball do.