General Carowinds discussion
Dukeis#1 wrote:Oh sweet man! All the new stuff on there is great. Especially that color aerial pic looking at the park from the front. 8)

Yes, I love that photo. It's the only photo I have that shows a good picture of the old trams that carried you to the gate. Also, if you look real closely, back to where Thunder Road would be, you can see the Shortline RR and the concrete tunnel it use to go through. Also, the McClelland House, which was near the Shortline RR, is something I am currently researching to uncover more info.

My next big addition will be adding all the brochures between 1972-1982. I need to pace myself from here on out and spread out the big updates just a little. I'll still be adding tidbits and other photos more often so keep checking.
Great stuff so far Ken, I'm *really* looking forward to those brochures. I've actually started to scan in my own Carowinds map and brochure collection, which I will post in due time, in the hopes that one day we can have all of the brochures and maps through the years online.

Keep up the great work. :)
This is awesome. I really liked the old Carowinds. I had been trolling around this forum for a while, but I just joined when I saw this thread.

Does anybody know what songs were playing on the speaker-rocks (before Paramount) besides "Theme from: A Summer Place" by Percy Faith???
I know these aren't the early years, but instead of creating a whole new thread I just decided to post in this topic. I was going through all photos on my computer and found a bunch from the early part of the decade. I had an old standard SLR and then had to scan the photos onto my computer (my how technology changes!). Anyway, for those that are interested here is a link to Photobucket.

http://s716.photobucket.com/albums/ww170/charlotteguy02/Carowinds/

Here are a few that I like:

thunderroad4.jpg
thunderroad4.jpg (96.33 KiB) Viewed 6450 times

topgun7.jpg
topgun7.jpg (164.61 KiB) Viewed 6450 times

topgun13.jpg
topgun13.jpg (159.14 KiB) Viewed 6450 times

Kudos to the early years site! Some of those pictures are wild...they bring back some great memories!
Awesome update, Ken! Since I was only 6 when the park opened, there's lots of early stuff where my memory is fuzzy, so the more pics the better. Oh, and the newspaper articles were another great addition.

I especially like the pics of the park / attractions from earlier years contrasted to how the same area looks today. The White Lignthin' / Cobra shots really show how much the park has changed. I miss the water and the brilliant white T-Road from that 1980 pic, as well as White Lightnin' itself of course. I like Cobra and the waterpark too, though, so change isn't all bad. And at least T-Road is still there and getting TLC, even it if looks less pretty.

Can't wait for the 2010 update with the flume area of 1973 contrasted with the 2010 area of....? :D
KenB wrote:the newspaper articles were another great addition.
I especially like the pics of the park / attractions from earlier years contrasted to how the same area looks today. The White Lightnin' / Cobra shots really show how much the park has changed.

Thank ya'll. And a big thanks to Wormy for supplying the current photos. I originally had no plans to contrast the old photos with today's but it seemed like a great idea and so far I am liking it.

Next big update will be the brochures and map scans. Uggghhhh!

I also want to convert the original Carowinds theme which I have on a 33 1/3 rpm record, to digital format for people to hear. Anyone remember the Magic Breeze song? I have no idea how I am going to do that but I know it can be done. I just don't have the means at my disposal.

So, I have a lot of updates to go, but it will keep me out of trouble for a while, lol.
charlotteguy02 wrote:Funny enough, I have a friend who is a DJ with the turntable needed to run a cord to a laptop and record. If you are interested in doing that, I am sure I could get him to digitize it in a matter of minutes. Shoot me an e-mail john_repede@yahoo.com and I will be glad to ask my friend about it!

I was going to offer the same thing. I work in radio up here in Greensboro and could get that done for you.
Those are some great pictures. I always wondered what that Wild Bull thing was.

Paramount sure took out a lot of Flat rides in the last 10 years...
Wave Swinger, Wild Bull, Frenzoid, Flying Dutchman

and added Two...
Flyers & New Flying Dutchman ("The Great Whale of China" from Canada's Wonderland)

and Cedar Fair has added two... Yo Yo & Southern Star (return of Frenzoid)

So it looks like with the similarities of the newer rides, its sort of come full circle, though some are better replacements than others...

Yo-Yo vs Wave Swinger: Wave Swinger = Better
Frenzoid vs Southern Star: No Change
Old Flying Dutchman vs Flyers: Flyers
Wild Bull vs Dutchman/Sea Storm: Too different... Dutchman better for capacity & Maintenance
swampfox--have you considered asking Carowinds for a digital copy of the "magic breeze" song? It plays every morning before the national anthem and then there is a jazzed up version of it that plays after the national anthem. I would imagine since you are paying homage to the early years and using it in a respectful way that the higher-ups would not have a problem sharing that with you.
Iheartcarowinds wrote:swampfox--have you considered asking Carowinds for a digital copy of the "magic breeze" song? It plays every morning before the national anthem and then there is a jazzed up version of it that plays after the national anthem. I would imagine since you are paying homage to the early years and using it in a respectful way that the higher-ups would not have a problem sharing that with you.

That's a good idea. You might even want to start by sending Dani a private message.