General Carowinds discussion
By dianals
Hello everyone! Been reading here for awhile, but this is my first post.

I can't find the original posts, but I recall reading you all discussing seat belts being installed on Intimidator. I was at the park yesterday and wanted to let you all know that they are officially installed...I rode twice with them.
By dianals
The only "issue" I had with it was that I had a light jacket tied around my waist (hey, it was chilly in the morning! :lol: ) and it made it a little bulky in the area where the seat belt first comes up. It wasn't bothersome or anything, I just had to sort of tuck it back into the space it should have been. I know that's hard to visualize...I'm sorry! But otherwise, I had no issue with them. Once it was in place, I didn't even notice it. Could be, though, because the employees were REALLY pushing down on the lap bars during their checks. I wasn't going ANYWHERE! :lol:
By dianals
I can say that, from my experience (3rd year season passholder), that they did not seem to make the wait times any longer. The bigger crowds did, but not the seat belts.

Of note: they now ask that you NOT lower the lap bar yourself. This, I think, makes it easier (and faster) for the attendant to go down the row and check the seat belt, then lowering the lap bar for you.
redrunner97 wrote:What about Leviathan? If it has belts too, then ours probably will next year!
Anyone know about Diamondback?

I sincerely hope this doesn't affect ride wait/load time and experience.

I blame the crazy old people on facebook that randomly claim the Hypers are "unsafe" and should have seatbelts. Question: why listen to them Cedar Fair?! They aren't your "fanbase" they are just casual visitors. Lame!

Leviathan does not have seatbelts....yet.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/vi ... 6#p1442366

Not exactly sure how Diamondback has been loading but here is a run down of what is going on with Behemoth (and its bad...very very very bad). This is according to a user from CW Mania who was at the park today:

For behemoth, the t-bars are locked in the upright position, all riders must put on the seatbelts and attendants must check them all, then the restraints are lowered and a second check is needed.

Behemoth was running 2 trains today and they were still stacking.
I guess these seatbelts are just a PR reaction to the Six Flags accident in Texas. Because I guess if someone were going to fall out of one of these B&M hypers they would have done so by now. They seem to have a pretty good safety record with Cedar Fair.
By tylerSC
Hopefully the seatbelts will not dramatically slow down the boarding process and make the lines longer. Or affect the airtime feel of the ride.
By Mountain3307
They will, and they will.. Gone are the days of riding Intimidator more than twice a visit.. Thanks..

Let me get this straight... the ride ops are now 'stapling' you in after you are belted??? I guess you can take that 1600 ppl per hour rate and throw it in the trash. Now you are looking at less than 800 per hour. ( which is the same as Nighthawk) You'ns better take some of that field where harmony hall is going and build more Que space...

Do I agree with the belts.... No. B&M's restraints are the safest in the business. Walter wouldn't have let those seats be manufactured if he didn't have complete confidence in the design! Those hyper seats were specifically designed the way they are and the appropriate height restrictions were established for a reason.. Carowinds has always gone over and above when it deals with safety. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Now I'm sure there is some reason for their additions, but don't blame it on what happened on the Texas Giant. That was different circumstances. And furthermore, don't say it had something to do with lower insurance rates.. Either way, they are here and now we must deal with it. Like it or not. *End of rant*
By intaminboy
I don't think that it is Carowinds being overly safe, I think this is a chain wide act of Cedar Fair. I think Cedar Fair is passing this along because now two of the Six Flags parks are infamous for having people falling out of and dying on their roller coasters. Cedar Fair wants to ovoid this because no park wants be know as the park where someone died on their ride. So in conclusion, even though there have been no accidents on a B&M roller coaster, Cedar Fair should not and will not take any chances. Now that all of the chain's hypers have the seat belts, the only ride left to get seat belts is Leviathan.
By Mountain3307
All I'm saying is, why is it an issue now? These rides been in existence for years without them. This generation of Hyper has been around Since 2008 in Cedar Fair Parks (Behemoth, CW) Again, don't blame it on something that happened elsewhere. Completely different circumstances. I agree, no one wants to be' that park'.
I know everyone keeps saying that all of the stacking and slow queues will improve once the operators get used to the seat belts but, what if that doesn't help? Look at Afterburn and Vortex, they've had seat belts long enough for operators to get used to them and they STILL STACK! Considering that B&M hypers in the Cedar Fair chain have never had one death or accident, (that I can remember). Do you guys think it would be possible if the slow queues and stacking remains that Cedar fair sees the seat belts aren't working out and just removes them?
By tylerSC
Mountain3307 wrote:All I'm saying is, why is it an issue now? These rides been in existence for years without them. This generation of Hyper has been around Since 2008 in Cedar Fair Parks (Behemoth, CW) Again, don't blame it on something that happened elsewhere. Completely different circumstances. I agree, no one wants to be' that park'.

You are correct, it should not be blamed on the Six Flags accidents as they were completely different rides and manufacturers. But unfortunately, this appears to be a politically correct, PR reaction to Six Flags. Cedar Fair wants to maintain an image of safety, and possibly for insurance and legal reasons as well. But definitely disappointing, as they used to move the lines through Intimidator rather quickly.