General Carowinds discussion
cwgator wrote:I rode it back to back in the back row when I was there on June 8th. I felt no rattle whatsoever. I guess we all feel things differently.

This has nothing to do with "Feeling". It's there. and it's not a "rattle".. it's a vibration. With so many people complaining about it, that's been proven a FACT. I rode it several times the day I was there. It's different every time. It was almost imperceptible on one of my rides. I felt that it was there on all of the other rides but not as bad as the last ride. It was to the point of bone-rattling on the last one I spoke about.

I feel VERY confident that it has to do with the seat you're in as well as probably the train you're on. I haven't paid close enough attention to the trains as the numbers are very hard to see on the front left of the train when you're sitting closer to the back. This could all be related to wind-buffeting the trains at 95mph. (It's not there on Intimidator.) Or it could be related to something in the hubs wearing. Whatever it is, it can NOT be good on the equipment since parts feel vibrations at much lower levels than people do. (We definitely don't want a part failure at 95mph or 200+ feet off the ground.)

Bottom line is that Carowinds has spent millions of dollars to purchase a fantastic world-class coaster. They should want to spend whatever it takes to keep it smooth. When I rode it on the last week of March, 2015, it was SMOOTH AS SILK. Because of that, we know it CAN be smooth. Also because of that, and because it's seeming to get worse as time goes on, we can relate that it may indeed have something to do with wear. I've actually heard people tell their buddies that they'll wait for them because they didn't want to ride it because of the vibration. I'm sure Carowinds doesn't want that.

I'd ride it non-stop if the vibration wasn't there.

Whatever it is, FIX IT.
Yawn, yawn, yawn. We have one of the best roller coasters in the world. Why complain about something so trivial that most people probably don't even notice? I'm sure most people get off of Fury thinking "wow, that was incredible" rather than "OMG, the slight rattle in the left seat in the third row ruined everything, OMG."
BelowThePeak wrote:Yawn, yawn, yawn. We have one of the best roller coasters in the world. Why complain about something so trivial that most people probably don't even notice? I'm sure most people get off of Fury thinking "wow, that was incredible" rather than "OMG, the slight rattle in the left seat in the third row ruined everything, OMG."

That's the problem. More and more people are noticing. And more and more people are riding it less because of it. and if it was "slight", I wouldn't' be bringing it up.

I ride it every time I go to the park but I don't ride it near as much as I used to. (and overhearing people in line for it this past weekend talk about it confirms everything I'm saying.)

Even if people aren't noticing. It can NOT be good on the equipment. How do you KNOW it's trivial from an engineering standpoint? We don't want to have a failure of some kind. Can you imagine?
By Chris
cwgator wrote:I rode it back to back in the back row when I was there on June 8th. I felt no rattle whatsoever. I guess we all feel things differently.

I think the train you are on has something to do with it. If you had a great 'no-rattle' ride on Fury and then stayed on the train for back-to-back rides, you will continue to experiment no rattle. If you got off and happened to get on a train that rattled, you would feel it.

We rode Goliath at Six Flags a couple of weeks ago. We had the greatest ride I've ever had on it. A couple of hour later, we returned and sat in the same seat (but apparently, a different train). It rattled so bad that my friend was done for the day. he literally could not ride anything else the rest of the day. I don't know if it's the wheels or what, but something is causing it. #shrug :think:
Chris wrote: I don't know if it's the wheels or what, but something is causing it. #shrug :think:

I think it is the wheels. Not necessarily worn out, but sometimes they pick up small pieces of dirt and debris. If you've ever looked closely at them, sometimes you can see spots on them that don't belong.
That's a thought. Maybe a good wheel cleaning is in order. That definitely would be an "easy fix". They could clean the wheels every morning or at least weekly.

It would be a nice thing to know what it was if they ever do anything to rectify it.

^ I experienced similar thing with Goliath although not the same day. First time we rode, it was so bad my daughter was done... had a headache that caused us to have to leave the park. A year later, rode it and was fine.
Don't know if it would work for Fury325 from a cleaning standpoint, but was at KD last Sunday and while waiting for the back row of I305, I noticed water spraying up on the under carriage/wheels. I asked the ride op if that was normal and he said "yes, it cools down the wheels during unloading/loading.
Makes sense I guess just never seen that before.
By cwgator
Chris wrote:

I think the train you are on has something to do with it. If you had a great 'no-rattle' ride on Fury and then stayed on the train for back-to-back rides, you will continue to experiment no rattle. If you got off and happened to get on a train that rattled, you would feel it.

We rode Goliath at Six Flags a couple of weeks ago. We had the greatest ride I've ever had on it. A couple of hour later, we returned and sat in the same seat (but apparently, a different train). It rattled so bad that my friend was done for the day. he literally could not ride anything else the rest of the day. I don't know if it's the wheels or what, but something is causing it. #shrug :think:

Well...I got off and went back around because there were people waiting. It could have been the same train, but wasn't paying attention. I just didn't feel any type of vibration/aka rattle that so many people seem to be talking about. I'm wondering if those folks are dehydrated and hungry while riding. The only time I've had a bad experience on any B&M is when I was either dehydrated and/or hungry (on Kumba & Rougarou).

The only "rattle" on a B&M (hyper train) I've ever felt was on Diamondback, and it was barely noticeable at all. I might add it's better than Intimidator....fight me...lmfao. Goliath (SFOG) is my least favorite B&M hyper.
RW_Fury325 wrote:IIRC, the reason they spray the wheels on i305 is because the wheels literally melt if they don't.

That's a thought. It could be that the wheels are EVER SO SLIGHTLY out of perfect round. At 95 mph, you'd feel even a quarter of a millimeter out of perfect round. That would also account for you feeling it more in one seat and not another if you're sitting near a wheel that wasn't PERFECT.
I believe that the rattle or vibration has nothing to do with the wheels or the train as a whole, however, the connection point between the wheel trucks and the train chassis.
BelowThePeak wrote:Yawn, yawn, yawn. We have one of the best roller coasters in the world. Why complain about something so trivial that most people probably don't even notice? I'm sure most people get off of Fury thinking "wow, that was incredible" rather than "OMG, the slight rattle in the left seat in the third row ruined everything, OMG."

I’m not trying to complain, but I can back up what he’s saying from my own experience. Some days last season riding it can nearly unbearable and the next day it can be amazing depending on the seats.

It makes my teeth chatter and my neck feel like there’s a jackhammer inside and I’m only 24. If it’s getting worse or more people are noticing then I’m kinda worried
Of all the times I have ridden I have felt a rattle about five times and even when I feel the rattle it dosen't bother me much
I felt a slight rattle in row 2 a few weeks ago. It wasn't enough to give me a headache, or make me not want to ride again. It wasn't enough to really bother me, when you have one of the best (if not the best) roller coasters in your home park, I can't complain too much about a slight rattle. Like I said, only experienced this once, and it wasn't bad. I do agree it is still too new of a ride to have a rattle, so the park may want to look into it if it starts to get worse.