General Carowinds discussion
By dirkdiggler1992
They can use the space Nighthawk and Vortex currently use. Our park doesn’t necessarily need 14 coasters, I’ll take 10 solid ones over a great top 4 and then, well poop. I do wonder long term if they want attendance to rival that of Kings Island with 3M+ how they’ll handle our smaller more compact park. Kings Island is huge and still feels crowded in places.

Also the water park seems pretty locked but I never really go over there so maybe I’m wrong.
By Glitch99
coasterbruh wrote:But seriously, 50-60 acres is like the size of a small park. I wouldn't hardly be panicking over space. But they can always build a parking garage.

That's space for 8 more of these "epic" expansion announcements.
By tarheel1231
I'm planning on heading down to the park around 6, will the crowds have died down by then? I'm only gonna be at the park for about two hours, so I'm not in a rush.
By Christopher Mallis
tarheel1231 wrote:Looks like this was already addressed in the Copperhead Strike thread before a certain user tried to bring politics into the thread. Apparently Carowinds is concerned that they're almost out of space for expansion within the existing park borders, according to this Charlotte Business Journal article. I'm not going to quote the entire thing since it's a paid subscription, but here are a few quotes from Steve Jackson:

We don’t know what’s next at Carowinds after what it billed Thursday as its “biggest investment to date,” but the amusement park is running a little short on land.

Steve Jackson, Carowinds director of maintenance and construction, says expansions have taken up most of the 400 acres at the park. What remains is 50 to 60 acres of undeveloped land.

Any more major additions at Carowinds will require acres of parking be relocated to the periphery of the site, he adds. “They move outward,” he explains. That way any future rides and other additions to the theme park would be contiguous to the park.

Makes sense why they're currently expanding the parking lot.

I made a post a while ago saying how they could utilize the current lot down by Intimidator's first turn if they ever ran out of space: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4394&p=99311&hilit=acres+parking%27#p99311

I can understand where their coming from when they don’t have a ton of room left but it’s not like their completely landlocked. But they shouldn’t just keep removing all the crappy attractions and not expand because if they do they will be left with no choice but to expand. The water park is probably the only major landlocked focus imo (it’s not even landlocked but that is probably the closest it comes to). When they remove Dino’s they should put a new coaster there and expand into the parking lot that got weirdly shaped when Intimidator was made. After that I’m not so sure, remove Vortex put something Better there, add some more stuff over near drop tower.
Attachments
Shaded area= possible expansion areas.
By Christopher Mallis
tarheel1231 wrote:I'm planning on heading down to the park around 6, will the crowds have died down by then? I'm only gonna be at the park for about two hours, so I'm not in a rush.

I’d say get there about 7ish. Parking lot was still almost full around 3:45.
By Hiveminded
^I also noticed that they haven't been using south gate even on extremely busy weekends this year. It was very annoying when you have to park by Intimidators turn around and have to either walk through the waterpark entrance or all the way around to the front.

In the park, they've added bollards in front of Intimidator's plaza. ..Not really sure why. Its on both sides.
Also I didn't get pictures of this but what is the big concrete pad under Fury's lift for? With its placement it looks like it could be for a line extension but it is never filled except for a select few days anyways.
By Christopher Mallis
dirkdiggler1992 wrote:I noticed those today too, I wonder if they are going to be used to rope off the area or maybe they are to deter people from running?

Could possibly be so people go around when they have ice skating for Winterfest I know that people just stood there during Winterfest a lot last year and messed up traffic flow. They use intimidators so called gift shop for ice skating shoe fittings and such.
By Justin
Hiveminded wrote:^I also noticed that they haven't been using south gate even on extremely busy weekends this year. It was very annoying when you have to park by Intimidators turn around and have to either walk through the waterpark entrance or all the way around to the front.

In the park, they've added bollards in front of Intimidator's plaza. ..Not really sure why. Its on both sides.
Also I didn't get pictures of this but what is the big concrete pad under Fury's lift for? With its placement it looks like it could be for a line extension but it is never filled except for a select few days anyways.

The bollards were put up to prevent further damage of the pavers and intimidator 'medallion' for the vehicles that move and set up for Scarowinds and WinterFest. That Intimidator medallion was wicked expensive and someone drove over and broke it. First Aid was not allowed to ride their boo-boo cart over that area.
By Lilant0219
I was at the park today. Got there around 3 and the parking lot was full except for that spot where it sticks out and that's where we had to park. There were plenty of cars coming in when we did so I would be surprised if at some point today the entire lot wasn't full. I agree that there is no point in having the south gate if it's closed when the park is this packed. It was dollar days so I think they should have had it open this weekend. We took our daughter today so she could see the cirque show. There was a looong line an hour before the show started. We did get in but there were people turned away. We all really liked it. They have had really good shows with the cirque shows and the Christmas ones! Hopefully Carowinds can build another indoor place soon to have more shows! I don't usually jump into conversations on here but I do enjoy reading them. I'm really excited about all the park has been adding these last few years and I hope it doesn't slow down! I do know though the more they add the more crowds like today we are going to see. That's just something I will have to get over to be able to have great rides at my home park.
By Panthersfan43
I haven’t seen the South Gate open all year.I have only been to the park 8 times this year though
By ThatCoasterNerd
At the park right now. Looks like the parking lot is almost at capacity already. South Gate isn’t open either. :shock:

*Edit: Lines aren’t looking too bad. Intimidator is maybe 45 mins. The midways are super crowded though.