General Carowinds discussion
By cadi40
I’m into statistics and Charlotte as a city, And by 2040 it’s predicted to be THE fastest growing US city, Not to mention by 2030 we will break 3 million metropolitan area residents. Big things in the future for Charlotte and Carowinds alike.
By FamousAmos
They are more than likely LED's, but since the overall theme of the area is 1950's I would also think that the light package is just a warm white, or a white. I remember Steve or someone telling me that Color-changing LED's would not be a correct theme. Electro Spin doesn't even have color changing lights. They are white with colored tops on them. If they decided to go for color-changing lights, I would be surprised.
By coasterbruh
cadi40 wrote:Great News as well, I don’t think anyone has mentioned this but CEO of Carowinds lives in Charlotte and works most days here.

You mean cedar fair?
By BS1983CLT
If they can make Carowinds into a "Kings Island" type park, I am 100% all in!

I love Carowinds, but something about Kings Island is just special. Plus, they have 10+ coasters that are all re-ridable and fun.
Kings Island:
Banshee
Diamondback
Mystic Timbers
Flight of Fear
Vortex
Racer
Adventure Express
Flight Deck
The Beast
Stunt Track

Carowinds:
Fury
Intimidator
Afterburn
Richocet
Gold Rusher
By formeryogi
tarheel1231 wrote:^^ Charlotte has some tourist attractions but the city in and of itself is not a big tourist draw. Cities worth visiting on their own have had years to build to establish an identity, whereas Charlotte has only really seen a major population increase within the last 4 to 5 decades. It holds little to no historical or cultural significance in the United States.

Actually the "city" of Charlotte is the number one tourist destination in the state. People come here for various reasons... and all of those combined make Charlotte the top destination. You have to consider all of the "attractions" and events that pull in people. Carolina Panthers, Hornets, PGA golf, Broadway touring shows, concerts, Speedway events (multiple races, plus car shows, Christmas lights, etc), Billy Graham Library, NASCAR Hall of Fame, Aquatics Center (Ulta Swim Meet each year plus regional swim meets that require participants to stay overnight), SouthPark and Concord Mills (yes, they draw people here for a day/overnight), Marathon, Carowinds and Great Wolf Lodge, etc. On top of that, conventions bring in a huge number of tourists (more so than any other southern city except Atlanta and Orlando). Check out the ever growing number of hotels and restaurants in uptown Charlotte (they're building even more as I write this). Charlotte is by far the top tourist destination in the state and one of the top in the south (of course you have to exclude the beaches because those they are not "one" city).
By CCookieMonster
Wasn't Do-Si-Do supposed to have a light package last year? Either way I'm not complaining at all since more lights around the park was a major thing on my wishlist. To me, shining a light AT a ride (Drop Tower, Hurler) isn't like lights ON a ride, IMO. Anyways I'm glad to hear/see some new lights. Charlotte is growing rapidly as it is one of the fastest growing cities in the whole county. I never thought of CLT as a tourist "destination" or "vacation city", but when you look at all that CLT has to offer and compare to other places like RDU (it's SO BORING here) it's a big deal. There's NASCAR, NBA, NFL, MiLB, the US National White Water Center, many museums, fantastic dining, and Southpark Mall, which isn't much of an attraction, but there's some fun things to do. I hope we surpass our new goal of reaching 3 million people, which I think will happen if not next year then probably by 2021. How many people visited the park in 2017? If we can compare that to 2015 and compare 2015 to let's say 2014, we might be able to see how big a difference in population there is if we have a new coster vs a smaller year...just something to consider even though having a good 4 or 5 really good coasters vs 2 is a pretty big difference. Ok, I've said enough lol.
By tarheel1231
In either 2015 or 2016, I remember that Cedar Fair had stayed that Carowinds had surpassed the 2 million mark, and if it has surpassed the expectations of Cedar Fair’s 2.5 million goal, I would assume we’re hovering around 2.7 million visitors. I definitely see the park being one of the top 20 most visited in the country in the next five years.
By gabed
At 2.7 million wouldn’t that already put us in the top 20?

EDIT: Also is Cedar Fair looking for 3 million different visitors or just 3 million admissions into the park. Say for example, I use my pass 12 times in a season. Does that account for one visitor or 12?
By CCookieMonster
Interesting question. I was going to ask that question earlier but forgot. Can someone please help us. I've wanted to know the answer to that question since 2014, but kept forgetting lol.
By Cameron
It's actually shocking to think Carowinds is not hitting the 3 million mark.

A minimum of 20,000 people in park for 150 operating days in 3mil. The park is open more than 150 days so it's shocking that the park is averaging under 20,000 a day.

That's the only reason that leads me to think each season pass is counted as 1 admission no matter how many times you go and each paid admission is counted as a different guest each time.

I'm also confused how Carowinds, A park larger than say Magic Kingdom can have a max capacity of around 40-45,000 where as magic kingdom maxes out around 70,000.

Not that it matters, Carowinds will never see 70,000 daily visitors.
Last edited by Cameron on February 22nd, 2018, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.