General Carowinds discussion
By Jrlooney88
This is from the individuals facebook page, I'm not friends with her on FB, so i couldn't read further, but i took the screenshot from the WBTV FB Page where it has been shared. She mentions the seat where she was sitting malfunctioning, but not much more

By Justin
This is the EXACT reason why Carowinds has the ride announcements to "keep your arms, legs, and feet inside the ride at all times; remember to hold on to the handle bar and stay in the upright seated position until the end of the ride..." You know, for legal purposes :P Possibly didn't need an ambulance for that either. That's a $900-$1100 ride right there, and Carowinds isn't responsible for that bill :P
By Lit
People close to her have been defending her on FBook comments section, saying that she had her hands on the handles where they were supposed to be. A piece of the seat in front of her broke off and severed her thumb (allegedly).
By Glitch99
Lit wrote:People close to her have been defending her on FBook comments section, saying that she had her hands on the handles where they were supposed to be. A piece of the seat in front of her broke off and severed her thumb (allegedly).

What could come off the back of those seats, with enough force to sever a finger, yet not subsequently impale itself in the person's arm or chest or face? Unless your hands are in the air, you're thumbs are rather protected by the rest of your hand when holding the handles.

And just to note, that facebook post with her hand all "stitched back together" and bandaged up was at 11PM that night, which would seem far to fast for a truly severed finger to be re-attached. The picture makes it clear it was far worse than a bandaid over a couple stitches, but it couldnt have been much more than a flesh wound.

There was also a comment about how she was glad it was her sitting "in the seat that had a malfunction" instead of her son. Implying it was her own seat that caused the injury, not something from in from of her.
By Edwardo
There’s a lot of speculation and blaming here about a situation wher no one here even knows what happened.

Someone got hurt. There’s no indication they did anything wrong. If they got hurt riding the ride while not trying to defeat a restraint mechanism or something similar, then this isn’t their fault. Let’s not make accusations when we have no idea what happened.
By yawetag
Would something like this require the state inspectors to arrive and do a full investigation as well? If so, that could be the cause of the delay in reopening, too.
By Distopia
yawetag wrote:Would something like this require the state inspectors to arrive and do a full investigation as well? If so, that could be the cause of the delay in reopening, too.

Yes.
By coasterbruh
Edwardo wrote:There’s a lot of speculation and blaming here about a situation wher no one here even knows what happened.

Someone got hurt. There’s no indication they did anything wrong. If they got hurt riding the ride while not trying to defeat a restraint mechanism or something similar, then this isn’t their fault. Let’s not make accusations when we have no idea what happened.

Yeah, I really hate when enthusiast go straight to blaming the victim as if they really hold any stake in the park or the coaster company.
By jeffdavis
Thumbs up to all involved for apparently handling this situation with great care. Thumbs down to anyone prematurely blaming the victim before the full story is revealed.
By Glitch99
Distopia wrote:
yawetag wrote:Would something like this require the state inspectors to arrive and do a full investigation as well? If so, that could be the cause of the delay in reopening, too.

Yes.

Is that because there was an injury? Or because there was a malfunction? Injuries happen without the ride being shut down at all, and rides break and are repaired without an immediate state inspection. What's the standard?

Maybe I'm wrong and it's just formality, but I'd say being shut down for a week indicates a rather significant issue.
By Jrlooney88
Guest safety is the most important thing at every amusement park, if there is any doubt on the safety of an attraction (at least at the major chains), that ride will not open. The last thing Cedar Fair wants is to rush the reopening of a ride and have a similar incident occur. Let the inspectors and officials do their due diligence and report their findings, if anything, it shows the GP that Cedar Fair is taking this very seriously.
By Distopia
Glitch99 wrote:
Distopia wrote:

Yes.

Is that because there was an injury? Or because there was a malfunction? Injuries happen without the ride being shut down at all, and rides break and are repaired without an immediate state inspection. What's the standard?

Maybe I'm wrong and it's just formality, but I'd say being shut down for a week indicates a rather significant issue.

“(1) The occurrence results in death or injury requiring medical treatment, other than first aid, by a physician. First aid means the one time treatment or observation of scratches, cuts not requiring stitches, burns, splinters and contusions or a diagnostic procedure, including examination and x-rays, which does not ordinarily require medical treatment even though provided by a physician or other licensed personnel; or...”
Source:
https://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislatio ... e_14b.html
By yawetag
Distopia wrote:
Glitch99 wrote:
Distopia wrote:Yes.

“(1) The occurrence results in death or injury requiring medical treatment, other than first aid, by a physician. First aid means the one time treatment or observation of scratches, cuts not requiring stitches, burns, splinters and contusions or a diagnostic procedure, including examination and x-rays, which does not ordinarily require medical treatment even though provided by a physician or other licensed personnel; or...”
Source:
https://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislatio ... e_14b.html

Copperhead Strike is in South Carolina.
Bottom line, accidents happen with rides sometimes sadly. It’s gonna be closed because of the investigation and if word got out about this and there was no investigation it would make people unsettled and scared. It’ll reopen eventually.