General Carowinds discussion
By Glitch99
BrianH1970 wrote:https://seekingalpha.com/news/3504029-cedar-fair-turns-away-six-flags

Well that's that. I guess it was more than a rumor but you could make the argument for stock manipulation.

A 20-25% premium over the current share price is a legit, solid offer. Just not solid enough. Manipulation would only occur if the offer was a pipe dream that SIX could never afford, but there's no question they could've closed this deal if it had been accepted.
By Grobble
Glitch99 wrote:
BrianH1970 wrote:https://seekingalpha.com/news/3504029-cedar-fair-turns-away-six-flags

Well that's that. I guess it was more than a rumor but you could make the argument for stock manipulation.

A 20-25% premium over the current share price is a legit, solid offer. Just not solid enough. Manipulation would only occur if the offer was a pipe dream that SIX could never afford, but there's no question they could've closed this deal if it had been accepted.

It was a low offer given the financials of Cedar Fair, asset portfolio, especially the new acquisitions this year, and those coming online with the new sports complex and 2 hotels,etc.... Cedar Fair is on the verge of a big growth period as the new endeavours mature. Then there is the tax benefit considerations of MLP's to shareholders. that must be considered for them to approve a deal. Around $90/share was the premium calculated by several analysts the last few days...$70 per share which amounted to $4B was not a good offer. CF price was $58 before the offer so they were offering just a 18% premium. Also the 1yr target is $62 so $70 is just 12% over what expected of CF in the next year in price. SF was acting if CF was desperate and in financial trouble. This was hardly a serious offer. Several analysts have questioned the timing. the quarter just ended and SF might know they are going to have a disappointing number, something they can't afford since they are already down 25% in the last year. This offer might just be SF trying to indicate they are trying to do something. 18% premium to the stock price with a stock offering 7% dividend is a low ball offer.

When Cedar Fair was nearly sold to Apollo back in 2009 they offered a 27% premium and that was when CF wasvin bad shape, leveraged to the hilt.
By yawetag
Does anyone know if the rides running during the day are limited? Thinking of going out tomorrow and don't want to be disappointed if some of the rides are shut down for the season.
By coasterbruh
There are no known closures but they usually have a sign in the front of the park that state of something isn't running. Have fun!
By Hiveminded
New parking lot is open. Gone is the annoying s bend section after the toll booth, now it’s a sharp u turn to run parallel to Ave of the Carolinas before taking the old drop off area into the parking lot. They had us driving on gravel! I haven’t done that here since Fury’s announcement day.

Edit: Limited attractions today via a sign out front. I believe it.
By Hiveminded
Double post but its been pretty quiet on here lately.
Just one weekend of full operations left :(

How does everyone think the Peanuts Celebration will work out? Very interesting that most of the big coasters are open despite it being marketed as a family event. I expect there to be very short lines on everything because I haven't seen much advertising for it at all.
By Glitch99
I think it'll all depend on the weather. Nice, semi-warm days will get pretty busy. Cold and rainy, it'll be a ghost town. But I see attendance being dominated by season passholders, unless they run a dirt cheap promo. In all, they'll probably cover the incremental costs of being open, but not much more.
By Coasterphreak
My gut feeling is that the primary purpose of the additional weekends is to retain staff, because I imagine it's pretty hard recruiting seasonal help for Winterfest when you lay everyone off for three weeks and employees pick up a holiday retail or warehouse job in the meantime.
By Edwardo
Coasterphreak wrote:My gut feeling is that the primary purpose of the additional weekends is to retain staff, because I imagine it's pretty hard recruiting seasonal help for Winterfest when you lay everyone off for three weeks and employees pick up a holiday retail or warehouse job in the meantime.

I agree. I think they probably just said “we can keep staff and make at least a little money if we just stay open and throw a cheap event.

And that’s good.
By formeryogi
Bargain season pass pricing extended at Carowinds and other Cedar Fair parks.

Carowinds $107/renewals $99 until October 31st

But Cedar Point pricing extended until end of the year.
By Glitch99
In case anyone was wondering - if you have a child outgrowing the Pre-K pass next year, it can be renewed as a regular season pass at the cheaper renewal price (and get the renewal perks/bonuses, although I think they all expired last weekend). It only saves a few dollars, but I thought that was rather nice of them to allow.