General Carowinds discussion
lingerdog wrote:
Didn't he say "first of its kind" in reference to the October announcement?

I doubt it's going to just be a retheming of a ride.

Ah, I didn't see the live announcement so I didn't know that was said. Hmm...
eMDaht wrote:
lingerdog wrote:

Wasn't aiming that as a critisizm of your comment, just so we're clear, only using it as a springboard to talk about that portion of the announcement. As that is what has me the most curious.

I'm sure someone will be along soon enough to tease that they know what is actually coming.
Edwardo wrote:So you know the reason they tore down thunder road? Cause it wasn't to make room for this.

:roll: And you know everything right? A brand new Thunder Road would cost $7 million, last I heard Carowinds spent $5 million on the restoration/rebuilding of the coaster. You do the math in your head, Racer and Rebel Yell have yet to have 3/4 of the structure demolished and replaced. If they lift hills need millions of dollars worth of work, then Carowinds themselves has alluded to the fact that Thunder Road was not properly maintained. I really hate to say that but the truth hurts, it hurts me to say it because I adore the park but reality is what it is.
lingerdog wrote:
eMDaht wrote:
lingerdog wrote:

Wasn't aiming that as a critisizm of your comment, just so we're clear, only using it as a springboard to talk about that portion of the announcement. As that is what has me the most curious.

I'm sure someone will be along soon enough to tease that they know what is actually coming.

I personally can't imagine a plants vs zombies roller coaster...... Unless it water themed. Hopefully it's either a really unique slide or some kind of flat ride. That's my wish anyway. Or a PVZ strata caster like top thrill dragster :lol:
lingerdog wrote:

No worries, I wasn't getting butthurt over it. lol
Now I'm just thinking of what else it could possibly be.
I'm thinking it's going to be a never before seen dark ride. I think there was something in the financial report that had long term goals of a new type of interactive roller coaster/dark ride.

And imagine, if they are now working with EA, who ultimitely own plants vs zombies, what kind of dark ride they might be able to come up with working with a video game maker.
I don't know if I would get too hyped about the October announcement. It may be significant but I doubt it's going to be anything huge. If it was it probably would have been announced today. This was the big show. I think a Boo Blasters retheme might be a possibility, or something using the Action FX Theater.
http://carolinaharbor.carowinds.com/sur ... ttractions

Some of the Boomerang Bay attractions are being re-named to match the Carolina Harbor theme!

Platypus Plunge = Pelican Plunge
Sydney Sidewinder = Southern Sidewinder
Awesome Aussie Twisters = Barracuda Blasters
Pipeline Peak = Storm Surge
Crocodile Run = Coastal Currents
Down Under Thunder = Hurricane Falls
Bondi Beach = Tidal Wave Bay
Jackaroo Landing = Pirate's Landing
Kookaburra Bay = Sand Dune Lagoon

Surfer's Swell and Dorsal Fin Drop will remain the same (as obviously their names were chosen for a generic "sea" theme).

Love the name Blackbeard's Revenge returning to the park! Pirates' Plank, Cannonball Drop, and Captain's Curse are appropriately titled and I can't wait to try them out next year! (The floor-drop slides scare the sh!t out of me though, not gonna lie. lol. But I'm still gonna get my fill of 'em!) Kiddy Hawk Cove and Seaside SplashWorks are good names also, as is Myrtle Turtle Beach.

I will say that I don't love the Surf Club Harbor name. Something like Outerbanks Beach or Bay would have hit the ear better, IMO. But that's a very small complaint.

Overall this transformation into Carolina Harbor is going to make, not only the water park, but Carowinds as a whole lot closer to being the THEME park it was originally intended to be. :thumbup:
Last edited by redrunner97 on August 27th, 2015, 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
As for the Plants Vs Zombies thing, I didn't see the periscope stream, but could it have to do with that whole "Virtual Reality" thing that Cedar Fair has been going on about for a while now? Maybe they had to delay it because Cedar Point's announcement date was pushed back?? Idk.

(In a perfect world, whatever it is is a revamped County Fair! lol :lol:)
That being said, I wouldn't hate Boo Blasters being rethemed to PVZ, in all honesty it sounds like a winning combo to me...
Jonathan wrote:I don't know if I would get too hyped about the October announcement. It may be significant but I doubt it's going to be anything huge. If it was it probably would have been announced today. This was the big show. I think a Boo Blasters retheme might be a possibility, or something using the Action FX Theater.

But at the same time if it something that small... Why not just tell us now? They kinda hyped it in the conference.
fishels wrote:
pproteinc wrote:I swear you cant please everybody. Smh. I dont know why peaople expect to get some high thrill ride every year when there are multi demographics to address in the park. Everybody are not thrill junkies a park gets a high thrill ride one year more than likely the next year would be a kids or waterpark expansion. In this case waterpark that stretches to all demographics from infants to seniors. Great job Carowinds. Who said that they were replacing Thunder Road next year? Not a soul. Maybe in 2017 or 2018. Chill. Dont like dont come. Simple. :roll: :wave:

Am I the only one excited about the Harbor House Restaurant? Lol Got my meal plan I'm ready. Seafood freak here.

Cant wait for October now.

I like water parks so It's not about that. I knew what was coming as far as it being not high thrill. The slide complex is completely unoriginal and the attractions just don't look all that fun. Everything else space wise was wasted(stuff we already had). if you are gonna tear down a ride like TR you are gonna face some backlash for the decision, especially if it's not for a good reason. It's a great reason for them money wise but I expected this water park expansion to really wow me. I'm lining their pockets just like you and the general public so I have a right to speak my mind(as do you) so forgive us if we aren't exactly the most happy people right now(go check Facebook). no idea why the plants vs zombies thing is later on.

Do get me wrong I don't do water parks at all, maybe once a year to get my little fill like I will next year. If anything I'll be over there eating at the Harbor House lol. I mean what do you expect concerning the slides. Looks to me it's a chain thing all parks get one, as like the Windseekers and DA attractions. Updating is not a bad thing, the new play house was MUCH needed, bigger and better, and all they did was move the old wave pool to make way for what it looks like the all new play pad garden for the tiny tots. Families have more to do. Obviously TR had something going on which warranted its removal. Was I upset yea. Im still grasping the fact Rebel Yell and The Racer are still rolling to this day. You cant get mad at Carowinds tho. I feel Paramount might have put more work into maintaining the older versions so Cedar Fair was left with the monstrosity of trying to get TR to where it needs to be and came to the conclusion even after a rebuild that its sucking the funds away so it had to go. IDK just my thought process. By all means speak you mind, you have that freedom. Why be mad or unhappy when the park is going in a great direction and obviously you know headquarters are going to continue to poor new and exciting things into the park?

Looks like where the old play house was located will be some much needed trees and grass. :clap: I hope they give the older structure and slides a good spray down, rust treatments, and paint jobs. Kind of wish they expanded the lazy river tho.
Last edited by pproteinc on August 27th, 2015, 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.