General Carowinds discussion
By RollerBee
aoriole19 wrote:2. I want a GOOD floorless coaster at Carowinds one day. They are one of my favorite types, and I feel like Vortex would make a pretty crappy floorless coaster. And having one probably decreases our odds of getting another one..

I agree, I think Vortex is too short in length to be worth reriding as a floorless coaster. If the park were to remove everything after the loop but before the final turn before the brake run, I think a new layout would make a concerted Vortex more reridable and give the new ride more space between Nighthawk and the brake run to spread the layout out just a little. Of course the odds of this happens are zero because it would cost probably the same amount to build from scratch.
By CCookieMonster
RollerBee wrote:
aoriole19 wrote:2. I want a GOOD floorless coaster at Carowinds one day. They are one of my favorite types, and I feel like Vortex would make a pretty crappy floorless coaster. And having one probably decreases our odds of getting another one..

I agree, I think Vortex is too short in length to be worth reriding as a floorless coaster. If the park were to remove everything after the loop but before the final turn before the brake run, I think a new layout would make a concerted Vortex more reridable and give the new ride more space between Nighthawk and the brake run to spread the layout out just a little. Of course the odds of this happens are zero because it would cost probably the same amount to build from scratch.

I agree with both of you. Vortex is a bit small and I hope it doesn't get converted to a floorless coaster. It would be decent but not that good. I thin it would be a bit too small, short and not long enough and maybe another inversion might help, but that's too much to make everyone thinks it's a good coaster so we should just keep it the way it is.
By Deere839
Screamscape Posted this
As much as I was hoping this wouldn't happen, Screamscape sources tell us to get your last rides in on Vortex in 2017, because at some point before the season is over Vortex will shut down early and begin work to convert it into a B&M Floorless coaster experience instead, with all new colors and a new name for when it reopens in 2018.

i got a feeling its happening
By coasterbruh
All because screamscape rehashed it?
By RollerBee
Nope, because Edwardo say it is happening. :sarcasm:

Our Vortex is the only stand up coaster left in the Cedar Fair chain. Skyrider and Shockwave are both gone, Vortex at CGA is being converted and Mantis was converted a couple years ago; it makes sense for our Vortex to be follow the pattern.

I still have some hope that Carowinds will get a wooden coaster in 2018 but I am also pretty sure it is not happening in 2018 if at all.
By coasterbruh
RollerBee wrote: but I am also pretty sure it is not happening in 2018 if at all.

wanna put some money on that . . .
By Edwardo
Sorry that nobody with real info gives you said info, Roller.

#sorrynotsorry
By RollerBee
Edwardo wrote:Sorry that nobody with real info gives you said info, Roller.

#sorrynotsorry

I am sorry that you think I care, I didn't need real info to be right about the Southern Sidewider being removed. Someone else suggested, I looked at the concept art, Google Maps and ran with it.

I hope Carowinds gets a new wooden coaster, I hope Vortex stay as is. I suspect Vortex will be converted in 2018, and Carowinds won't add a new wooden coaster in 2018.

I don't need your information unless you have information on building a miniature railroad. Which on that topic, nevermind I can get that information from sources with better attitudes.
By Edwardo
I never had real info about the slide being removed either. It was an opinion. It's funny how you act like you don't wanna know stuff when you're always asking people for info off the boards.

Sorry I don't have any railroad info for you. I'm too busy being awesome.
By Rhyano
Screamscape's income is ad revenue, they are going to post stuff just to earn some ad revenue, so basically anything along the lines of (Insert ride here) is sinking!
By FamousAmos
Well, Vortex literally is sinking in the ground, haha..... very slowly though. Should stop in a few years maybe.
By RollerBee
FamousAmos wrote:Well, Vortex literally is sinking in the ground, haha..... very slowly though. Should stop in a few years maybe.

Yeah and so is KI's Vortex along with Magnum at CP. :sarcasm:
By RRRAPIDS
Vortex will be a more enjoyable ride. You may get some good airtime in the back row on the second drop after the loop. Vortex is also a few feet longer then Patriot, so why say it's not worth converting it? However I do understand everyone wants a longer record breaking coaster. I think the park has all the record breaking attractions it needs for sure. If this conversion was to happen, what color scheme would you like to see????
By BelowThePeak
Nah, I don't think we need any more blue coasters in the park, especially with the Cobra repaint (although Carolina Blue would admittedly look good).

I'd love to see some variant of purple, though. I think a deep reddish-purple track would look great. I'm not sure what color would work best as far as the supports go, though.