General Carowinds discussion
By Christopher Mallis
In my opinion Carowinds should become a park that is similar to Knotts. They already are sort of a mini knotts if you think about it. They have upgraded family and kids rides over the past few years while managing to add some thrill rides to make Carowinds’ ride lineup diverse. The one thing that Carowinds STILL lacks is events/shows. Ever since Harmony Hall opened the shows have definetly improved and I think Carowinds did an excellent job with Turn It Up last season, I saw a bunch of people enjoying it, but does Carowinds have any true events? Take knotts’ peanuts celebration for instance, could we get that instead of the same show in the camp theatre every other year? Events is definetly something Carowinds could improve on and hopefully they will with the new hotel opening bringing more guests in. I have a feeling rapids will be fitted like calico river rapids for 2020.
By Coasterphreak
Reading between the lines, it definitely seems like Cedar Fair is going to be investing in more "short term" events at its other parks since it's definitely something showing incremental growth at Knotts. I'd love to see something like Ghost Town Alive! in the BRJ or County Fair area.
By coasterbruh
gabed wrote:What does worry me a little is that it sounds like they’re planning on increasing the gaps between coasters at all their major parks.

Is that a bad thing?
By gabed
Eh, I guess that’s the enthusiast in me talking. Does make sense from a businesd perspective. Also never really struck me before that the more rides you have the more inventory you gotta keep.
By BS1983CLT
I am fine with the (big parks) not getting new major coasters every other year or so...

If I ran Cedar Fair, this is the business model that I would have in place for every year's capital going forward...

2 Coasters Per Year - One Major and one minor. Think Banshee & a RailblaZer.

Those together prob cost around $40 million.

Then, the other parks receive smaller attractions.

Water slides, flat rides, rides rethemes, new events and overall park upgrades.

I would be fine if Carowinds new coaster is every 4-5 years. That is how it has been the last 10 years.

Intimidator 2010
Fury 2015
Copperhead 2019

For 2020, I would like to see the park add a giant frisbee flat ride, a new water slide complex for CH.

Going forward, I can see the park removing - Vortex and the Carolina Cyclone. Rides that cost a lot of upkeep and not really adding anything to the park's lineup.
By hikernut79
Rabidfrog wrote:Cyclone is a great “step-up” ride at Carowinds. As kids are getting into coasters it is a great intro 48” ride.
Vortex is terrible.
I agree with this 100%. However, removing Vortex doesn't really accomplish much which is why I think they leave it. It's footprint is tiny and there's just not much that can go back in there unless it's a flat or something and I don't think they want to trade a coaster for a flat. Unless Nighthawk comes down I don't think we see a new coaster in that area of the park.
By coasterbruh
hikernut79 wrote: and I don't think they want to trade a coaster for a flat.

By Grobble
yawetag wrote:Good God. Did FedEx sponsor that? Also, what plugs into the side of the top?

Zamperla Discoveries are the best frisbee rides. Wish Cedar Fair had went with them over HUSS . The Zamperla light package are really good which would complement the excellent light package on the Windseeker, shown in this KD picture. Still hoping CF also test the 2nd generation enterprises by Huss, no park has bought any. CF keeps killing off their old enterprises b/c of maintenance. If CF tries one probably would go to Wonderland first to test.
By hikernut79
Coasterbruh, where is that? Did it replace a coaster?

I would love to have that in the park as much as the next guy but I'm just saying I doubt they remove Vortex to make it happen.