General Carowinds discussion
By redrunner97
Vortex and Nighthawk being removed would open up the lake, the centerpiece of the park, beautifully. I think they're both just downright unenjoyable in every way. I know most would want a coaster in this spot (and I wouldn't be opposed to that either), but I would LOVE to see the return of the stern-wheeler.

Even just as a stationary, always docked museum of the history of the park would be amazing. But if they expanded the lake as much as possible and had the boat take riders on a journey again (with an island at the center?) that'd be even more amazing.

By formeryogi
redrunner97 wrote: but I would LOVE to see the return of the stern-wheeler.

Even just as a stationary, always docked museum of the history of the park would be amazing. But if they expanded the lake as much as possible and had the boat take riders on a journey again (with an island at the center?) that'd be even more amazing.

I'm about to talk out of two sides of my mouth. I desperately think the park needs more attractions like "The Carolina" to be a park that attracts multi-generation guests. In addition, it visually adds charm and interest to the visuals of the park.

But at the same time, I have to say, nobody rode it when it was there. It was just a slow moving boat. Now back during the "glory days," there was a dixieland jazz band on the second deck. My favorite time was when the live shows performers created their own project and the boat was used as a show stage and the performers came riding up to the dock hanging off the railings dressed in period "show boat" costumes... now that ADDED FLAVOR AND ATMOSPHERE to the park.

I admit some of attractions don't pass the pencil test when you factor in ridership, labor and maintenance costs (The Carolina, a stream train, etc) BUT they are needed if Carowinds will be more than a regional amusement park.

Grandparents, and even younger parents who don't do thrill rides, need things to do to get them in the gate with their families. Those people may not "ride" much, but they are the ones who buy food and stuffed bears for their kids.
By dirkdiggler1992
Not saying our park doesn’t need more identity and charm, it does, but there isn’t much a regional amusement park can do to attract seniors. They even come in very small numbers at Cedar Point or any Six Flags. Florida or Dollywood is more their style of theme park.

One thing I’d like to see is Boo Blasters return to its old look and become a museum, similar to the one at Cedar Point. Wouldn’t be called Harmony Hall obviously.
By tarheel1231
^To add to that, I doubt they would add a transportation ride as it's not exactly an easy thing for a regional park to market. The most I could see in terms of multi-generational rides returning to the park are Antique Autos (a la Kings Island) or some sort of new dark ride.
By formeryogi
tarheel1231 wrote:^To add to that, I doubt they would add a transportation ride as it's not exactly an easy thing for a regional park to market. The most I could see in terms of multi-generational rides returning to the park are Antique Autos (a la Kings Island) or some sort of new dark ride.

Yes, agree... I would be all for the Hillbilly Jalopies running along granny's corn patch!

I was just using the Sternwheeler as an example because it had been mentioned before. The train was terribly expensive. ...Now if the train incorporated some action or show scenes along the way (think Tweetsie) then maybe a train. But again, the real point is some family attractions are needed that are multi-generation.
By tarheel1231
I could actually see Antique Autos being added in 2020 if they don't go the waterpark route, since Dinosaurs Alive is on the chopping block soon. We lost Joe Cool's for the Dinos, so it would make sense to replace it with that.
By formeryogi
dirkdiggler1992 wrote:Not saying our park doesn’t need more identity and charm, it does, but there isn’t much a regional amusement park can do to attract seniors. They even come in very small numbers at Cedar Point or any Six Flags. Florida or Dollywood is more their style of theme park.

One thing I’d like to see is Boo Blasters return to its old look and become a museum, similar to the one at Cedar Point. Wouldn’t be called Harmony Hall obviously.

There was a time when "seniors" came to Carowinds (with their adult children and their grandchildren). But there was more for them to do (more live shows, sternwheeler, monorail, antique cars, "unique" gift shops, and sit down restaurant with waiters and waitresses). Believe me, I saw plenty of grandfathers toting huge stuffed animals ;-)

Yes, the destruction of a stage in the original Harmony Hall was a travesty.
By Christopher Mallis
Carowinds needs to get atleast one classic ride back to the park. They have lost white water falls, and two raceways being joe cools and the Grand Prix which used to be over by hurler before fury. Here’s what I think for 2020: a mat racer along with some more amenities to Carowinds Harbor and antique cars or something along the line of that in Dino’s alive.
By tarheel1231
^ That seems like a reasonable assumption. I’m willing to bet my signature it’ll be a set of Antique Cars called “Blue Ridge Parkway” as an extension of the new section coming next year.
By sccoasterbear
I honestly think they have to address staffing before adding any new attractions. Saturday a large part of the water park was closed and boy were guests complaining.

Have they reached a point where they can not continue to grow because of this?
By sccoasterbear
Christopher Mallis wrote:Carowinds needs to get atleast one classic ride back to the park. They have lost white water falls, and two raceways being joe cools and the Grand Prix which used to be over by hurler before fury. Here’s what I think for 2020: a mat racer along with some more amenities to Carowinds Harbor and antique cars or something along the line of that in Dino’s alive.

Don’t forget Speedway and Jaloppies
By Christopher Mallis
sccoasterbear wrote:I honestly think they have to address staffing before adding any new attractions. Saturday a large part of the water park was closed and boy were guests complaining.

Have they reached a point where they can not continue to grow because of this?

This always happens to the waterpark because most of the lifeguards go back to college, they have handled it much better this year than previous I remember at the end of 2016, the only things open were just 5 attractions and there were a good bit of people there.
By Christopher Mallis
sccoasterbear wrote:
Christopher Mallis wrote:Carowinds needs to get atleast one classic ride back to the park. They have lost white water falls, and two raceways being joe cools and the Grand Prix which used to be over by hurler before fury. Here’s what I think for 2020: a mat racer along with some more amenities to Carowinds Harbor and antique cars or something along the line of that in Dino’s alive.

Don’t forget Speedway and Jaloppies

I thought that the Grand Prix speedway was the speedway? Maybe I’m missing something.