General Carowinds discussion
By RollerBee
I find it sad that the number of mazes has been reduced and they aren’t spending money to replace 1 maze a season.

With the amount of Halloween Haunt type of events in NC, Carowinds only has advantage because they have rides.

That said, Spookywoods has added a railroad this season......

Hmm, same old junk or better overall event plus a train? Y’all know me.....
TRAIN!
By tarheel1231
So I went to the park last night, here are some thoughts...

First off, I’d like to apologize about my comment earlier this week with my assumption that the park was somehow being overridden by gangs. Visiting last night, it’s clear that what happened last week was an isolated (or series of isolated) event(s), and it’s not a matter of pricing people out. The only thing the park can really do in that situation is have heightened security in the event of a fight, and that seemed to be the case, but the environment last night was pretty laidback.

But with that out of the way here’s what I actually did last night:

Fury- amazing as always, nothing new to report

PvZ- it’s a fun attraction as long as you look at it in the vein of being a giant video game. But they didn’t have 3D glasses for whatever reason.

Copperhead Strike- I don’t know why, but the launch feels more powerful towards the back. Great ride. The ops were amazing, and they made what looked like an hour-wait into 25 minutes.

Mountain Gliders- I kid you not, the ride op held up the line because he was flirting with some guest, and he spent a solid minute talking to her before starting the ride and took selfies before letting the next set of guests on. I’d be mad if the whole situation wasn’t hilarious, but it did make the wait mildly annoying. But besides that, I actually snapped the gliders!

Intimidator- there was way more airtime on it than in recent years. It probably has something to do with the fact that we sat towards the front, but the airtime in row 6 was amazing.

Haunt Stuff:

Silver Scream Studios- the sets and animatronics were impressive, but it was super dark and there were hardly any actors in the maze. At some point, there was just a random employee in the corner, strobe-lighting us with a flashlight because we couldn’t see.

Dark Harvest- this was the only other maze we did, and again, the sets were really good. Some of the best I’ve ever seen at SCarowinds. But the actors were scarce, so it felt like an average corn maze for the most part. I remember enjoying it way more in 2017 when I last visited.

After Dark Harvest, we just bailed on doing mazes since it and Studios were pretty disappointing. But the scare zones were above average. Deadman’s Landing and The Hollow in particular had good sets, and the chainsaws in the area by Copperhead Strike were a nice touch

As far as the haunt attractions are concerned, the live entertainment was the highlight for me. The glimpses we caught of Skeleton Crew were fantastic, and the Bone Brigade really added to the atmosphere of the park.

Overall, it was a fun experience, but the mazes were incredibly disappointing in comparison to recent years. Maybe it’s due to the fact that we only did two, since Slaughterhouse and Depths of Darkness seem to be the flagship mazes. However, if they’re only going to have five mazes, they should at least pack more into each one than they would if they had >5 mazes.
By tarheel1231
It was pretty well done! I will say the actors in Fleet Street/Age of Darkness we’re better than the ones in the mazes, so kudos!
By BrianH1970
FezzyGamer wrote:I’m glad you enjoyed it! Any opinions on Fleet Street?

One of you guys on Fleet Street got my wife good last night. She doesn't scare too easily but somehow, someone managed to do it. Bravo!

Few observations:

What a night and day difference between last night and the first Saturday. Just waiting for security to start checking bags you could see the crowd was going to be far different from last week. It skewed a little older than last week and a lot more families. Hardly any of the riff raff that would cause an issue.

The police made their presence known at the gate last night and inside the park. There were at least three cops as soon as you walked in and security seemed to always be close by to the clusters of scare actors. There were yellow shirts easily seen inside Dark Harvest last night.

Last week was dimly lit and the covered walkways near Stateline and Camp Snoopy were almost pitch black. There was ambient lighting last night in those spots, and the park overall was much better lit. I still think that being seen can act as a deterrent. Plus it's just better for park safety in general.

I only saw one or two instances of kids running 30 feet away from scare actors and into other park goers. Last week those stupid disruptive shenanigans were everywhere. I also didn't see or hear any of the chainsaw guys from last week, and they used to be easy to spot and even easier to hear.

Overall it couldn't have been a much better experience last night. There was a lot more room to walk around the park, and the trouble making element from last week didn't seem to be there this time. We were free to enjoy the park and the scare actors this time, who all did a tremendous job (and I'm sure you guys did a great job last week, it was just more difficult to enjoy). I imagine tonight will be a bigger test of any new security measures but after last night I'm sticking only to Friday nights for Scarowinds. Always stick with what works and last night just worked.
By FezzyGamer
Who got her? I got tons of good ones yesterday lol. I’m glad you thought it was better though we’re prepared for anything tonight. Anyone who’s coming should some me see me. I’m right out front carrying a gear on a stick :lol:
By Hiveminded
I’m not at the park right now but is the traffic in google maps on 77 starting at 485 the line to get in? If so that’s really crazy, especially two hours after opening.

Edit: And while I’m on the topic of traffic, can SCdot PLEASE remove the yield sign in the right most lane on the exit coming from the north? It’s a pet peeve of mine when people stop there when a new lane is created for them. There’s nothing to really yield to.
By yawetag
We (me, wife, two kids both wearing No-Boo necklaces) went Friday night as well. Got in line at the parking lot around 5:20, entered lot around 6:30, gates around 6:45, and stayed at the entrance to watch the beginning show. Ended up staying until about 11:15, just walking around the different areas and riding a few rides.

This was the first time my daughter's (9yo) done anything scary and the second time for my son (12yo), who did a haunted house last night. At first, he didn't want a necklace, but after about 2 minutes of the opening show, he asked if he could get one.

Overall, we had a great time. I walked through the Fleet Street area a couple of times, once calling out "Fezzy! Fezzy!" but never did get a response. :D

We loved the theming throughout the park. I don't know that I saw an actor not having fun with their job. As I was standing in line for a ride or just waiting around, I watched some great scares - and some good misses. The atmosphere was a lot better than a haunted house, where you're basically in a line, then in the house, then going home. I was able to just sit on a bench and watch the actors have fun with the guests that walked by.

The actors were awesome to the kids. They'd walk up, say hello, and give high fives. I was a bit disappointed that none tried to scare the wife and I while walking with them, even though Fezzy implied they would. I asked one later in the evening and she said it was because they didn't want to scare the kids by scaring us. Fair enough.

Our favorite actor was the girl near PvZ, sitting in a milk bottle throwing booth (3 throws for $1). We gave my son a bill and he walked up. I don't want to spoil the interaction, but I'd highly suggest anyone checking her out. She had some crutches behind her in the booth, so she's probably there for a bit - at least until that foot heals. Fezzy, if you know her, give her our praise for a great few minutes.

Checked out all the live shows. The acrobatic show near the entrance was awesome; I was surprised they didn't do anything Cirque related in their building - now I see why. The marching band and dancers near Blue Ridge Junction was pretty good, too. I was not impressed by Blood Drums. The music they were playing to was insanely loud and, from what I could tell, the microphones weren't working, so you couldn't hear their drums at all. The girl doing the different twirling acts was mediocre at best. The whole show was a let-down.

The wife and I are probably going to get a kidsitter for the evening and go out by ourselves in a couple of weeks. We hope to get all the mazes in, and just walk around and enjoy it without the kids. I mentioned that while we're probably not getting passes next year, this and Winterfest may change my mind - just without any of the add-ons. Even two visits to SCarowinds and a visit or two to Winterfest will make it worth it.

One suggestion I would make for the park: Have employees that are non-actors wear a light or something visible in the dark. My mind went to a kid who gets separated from their family and can't easily find someone for help. If they know to look for a flashing red light or something else obvious, it would make that situation a lot better for them.
By yawetag
Hiveminded wrote:I’m not at the park right now but is the traffic in google maps on 77 starting at 485 the line to get in? If so that’s really crazy, especially two hours after opening.

Can't speak for tonight, but I know it gets that crazy. Last year we drove by on a couple of Saturdays and saw the interstate line backed up to 485. It was also the reason we got to the gate yesterday 90 minutes before opening.
By FezzyGamer
I’m so glad it was an enjoyable experience! Sorry I missed you. I might’ve been on break at the time :lol: The opening show is my favorite part of the evening with all of us hanging out in front of the stage and I can see why it’d be a bit frightening. I hope you enjoyed Fleet Street as well! There are a lot of really talented people there this year.
By Edwardo
Hiveminded wrote:I’m not at the park right now but is the traffic in google maps on 77 starting at 485 the line to get in? If so that’s really crazy, especially two hours after opening.

Edit: And while I’m on the topic of traffic, can SCdot PLEASE remove the yield sign in the right most lane on the exit coming from the north? It’s a pet peeve of mine when people stop there when a new lane is created for them. There’s nothing to really yield to.

Yes there is. If you’re turning on to a road, regardless of it it turns into a new lane for you, you still have to yield to traffic because traffic already on that road have the right of way to merge into the new lane before you, hence the yield. That’s the law.
By Glitch99
Edwardo wrote:

Yes there is. If you’re turning on to a road, regardless of it it turns into a new lane for you, you still have to yield to traffic because traffic already on that road have the right of way to merge into the new lane before you, hence the yield. That’s the law.

I've never heard of a car that is in a lane being required to yield to a car in another lane trying to change lanes...
By Coasterphreak
Yes, traffic that is already on a road always has right-of-way over traffic entering a road, regardless of "dedicated lanes".

Obviously this does not count for any entry that is signal protected.
By Edwardo
Glitch99 wrote:
Edwardo wrote:

I've never heard of a car that is in a lane being required to yield to a car in another lane trying to change lanes...

I’m guessing you don’t know what I do for a living...

You have to yield the right of way when you are turning on to another road to all traffic In the lanes traveling in the direction you’re turning, even if the Lane you’re turning in to is a new lane of traffic. They have the right of way to merge into the Lane you’re turning in, which is why you have a yield sign. That’s...why there’s a yield sign there. Because that’s...the law.

Edit: what Phreak said. If you’re turning on to a new road, dedicated Lane or not, you ALWAYS have to yield to traffic already on that road, unless there’s a signal or sign stating otherwise. I’m not familiar of any state where that isn’t the law...