General Carowinds discussion
By yawetag
Thought of something today. There's a group of actors outside Panda Express. But that area isn't highlighted for anything on the map. Any idea what they are supposed to be? Is it a last-minute addition? If so, why not just dress them for another area?
By Hiveminded
Insert obligatory "I didnt mean for this to happen, I had no idea a passing comment would go on for four pages sorry" comment

But here is more clarification on what I am talking about. On the far right lane coming off of 77 south there is a yield sign I don't believe should be there. I say the lane is created because there are Gore Lines protecting the entering lane from 77 on to Carowinds Blvd. Drivers are not allowed to cross the gore lines (source: https://azdot.gov/node/7540) and thus there is nothing to yield to. Up in the university area there was a situation thats almost exactly like this coming off 85 and there was even a "Keep Moving" sign.

Heres a screenshot with the paint filled in by me since SCdot isn't doing it:

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding something, This might sound super lame but I actually do find dealing with large volumes of traffic like this pretty interesting. Maybe Ive been playing too much Cities Skylines..
By CarowindsFan
I'll have to admit, the last time I went I remarked to my wife "yield to what" as we just created a new protected lane. My thought is that they added the yield sign to help slow people down and make them be on the lookout for idiots cutting across lanes they shouldn't (as the white line is solid).
By Capler
I really don't believe this. I logged on and saw the number of new pages in this thread and immediately thought, 'Oh my God, there was big fight at the park last night. Hundreds of people must have died considering the big discussion today.' My heart dropped to my stomach as I started reading. :crazy: Really people, a freaking turning lane? The only people who argue about a yield sign are guilty people in traffic court. Y'all crazy! :wtf:
By Wormy
Well said.

The discussion was valid enough, but better suited to more of an "Exit 90" topic rather than anything Scarowinds related. The arguing to argue crap was deleted. Come on boys.
By Justin
Hiveminded wrote:Insert obligatory "I didnt mean for this to happen, I had no idea a passing comment would go on for four pages sorry" comment

But here is more clarification on what I am talking about. On the far right lane coming off of 77 south there is a yield sign I don't believe should be there. I say the lane is created because there are Gore Lines protecting the entering lane from 77 on to Carowinds Blvd. Drivers are not allowed to cross the gore lines (source: https://azdot.gov/node/7540) and thus there is nothing to yield to. Up in the university area there was a situation thats almost exactly like this coming off 85 and there was even a "Keep Moving" sign.

Heres a screenshot with the paint filled in by me since SCdot isn't doing it:Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 2.12.37 PM.png

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding something, This might sound super lame but I actually do find dealing with large volumes of traffic like this pretty interesting. Maybe Ive been playing too much Cities Skylines..

If you are interested in that stuff, I suggest you go to school for Civil Engineering.

I remember that at one point in time, around 2010, there used to be flexible bollards and a keep moving sign where you are all talking about. The bollards kept getting ran over and the sign and the bollards were later removed.

I've been rallying for dual LTLs on Southbound Carowinds Blvd on every Carowinds/Scarowinds survey because the light cycle is horrible and only 5-6 cars can go thru the light. During Scarowinds, the traffic turning left stacks up TJ Maxx and can take 2 HOURS of light cycles to turn left on Ave of the Carolinas. I used to go the back road that the camp shuttle uses and park in that bus/drop off lot (the old season pass lot secret entrance) but the traffic pattern changed with the construction of the hotel and stuff.

May I refer everyone to the latest edition of the MUTCD? If you need a copy, y'all can borrow it from my office lol.
By uscbandfan
This is really not a hard concept to understand.

By the way, NCDOT wouldn't be painting those solid white lines, it would be SCDOT. But, SCDOT wont paint them because the traffic on Carowinds Boulevard are allowed to cross those lanes into the Exxon and other businesses.... which are the people you are yielding to when you come off the interstate.

Just agree that the signs are correct according to the law and, if you do not like the law, call your representative to see if he will draft a bill to get them changed (which I doubt he will because it would create a traffic hazard.)

NOW.... Can we not get back to Scarowinds? This has gone beyond scary.
By coasterbruh
Lol how can you add to the rant THEN say lets get back to SCarowinds :wtf: :crazy: ???

Reading around the net, it seems the general consensus is SCarowinds sucks this year? Is it true? Are people being to hard on the event?
By jeffdavis
In this thread I saw remarks of two understaffed and underwhelming mazes. I probably won't get there until a Sunday in October to see for myself. I like scare zones and roaming scaractors so I'm optimistic. Any more reports?

#ain'tafraidoftheyieldsign
By Glitch99
uscbandfan wrote:This is really not a hard concept to understand.

By the way, NCDOT wouldn't be painting those solid white lines, it would be SCDOT. But, SCDOT wont paint them because the traffic on Carowinds Boulevard are allowed to cross those lanes into the Exxon and other businesses....

So we are right? Because the line is a solid white line; he drew over them because they've faded a lot and need to be re-painted, but they are still clearly solid in the pictures. And note the stop lines painted on the left lanes, the yield line painted on the inside turn lane, and nothing at all painted on the far right turn lane - if you want to talk about the markings being correct.

Is there any hope of finding a somewhat quieter scarowinds night at all? My nephew really wants to go, but he complains the line is to long at ricochet when the line is past the first switchback (but still on the ramp). I suspect it'll be hours wasted for literally minutes of entertainment, especially given the 90-minute drive to get there.
By coasterbruh
OMFG!!! OK, EVERYONE IS RIGHT! Drive how you want, yield if you want or not. no one gives a sh*t at this point! Can we PLEASE move on from this virtual pissing match and talk about how crappy SCarowinds seems to have gotten over the years . . .
By Capler
coasterbruh wrote:Lol how can you add to the rant THEN say lets get back to SCarowinds :wtf: :crazy: ???

Reading around the net, it seems the general consensus is SCarowinds sucks this year? Is it true? Are people being to hard on the event?

From what I've read, most are unhappy with the massive crowds. That can't be too fun if you are stuck in a line, but from the comfort of my home, I say 'come one, come all.' Carowinds need the attendance numbers to insure that we continue to get investments in the future. BTW, the crowd is the reason I don' go to Scarowinds. The last time I went, it took me an hour to get into the park and I was only able to ride one thing. I'm happy with the growth, but it does not mean I have to partake in it.
By Coasterphreak
Glitch99 wrote:Is there any hope of finding a somewhat quieter scarowinds night at all? My nephew really wants to go, but he complains the line is to long at ricochet when the line is past the first switchback (but still on the ramp). I suspect it'll be hours wasted for literally minutes of entertainment, especially given the 90-minute drive to get there.

The generally accepted wisdom used to be that Sunday nights were slower, but that no longer seems to be the case. I'd suggest waiting for bad weather because that tends to keep the crowds away, although these days Carowinds seems to be pretty quick to close up shop if it looks like the weather is going to keep the crowds away and/or shut down a significant number of attractions for an extended period of time.

Personally I just go for the shows, scare zones, and general atmosphere. Also the relatively short lines for most of the coasters. I literally don't remember the last time I did a maze, I think it was whatever defex is these days and that was a couple years ago.

e: basically if you want to drive 90 minutes to Charlotte to do haunts you're better off hitting Campground Massacre or the Haunted Mill or something, the Scarowinds haunts are typically subpar but the rest of the event is an entertaining way to spend an evening.
By uscbandfan
Glitch99 wrote:
uscbandfan wrote:This is really not a hard concept to understand.

By the way, NCDOT wouldn't be painting those solid white lines, it would be SCDOT. But, SCDOT wont paint them because the traffic on Carowinds Boulevard are allowed to cross those lanes into the Exxon and other businesses....

So we are right? Because the line is a solid white line; he drew over them because they've faded a lot and need to be re-painted, but they are still clearly solid in the pictures. And note the stop lines painted on the left lanes, the yield line painted on the inside turn lane, and nothing at all painted on the far right turn lane - if you want to talk about the markings being correct.

The solid line ends at the turn-in to the Exxon which would make THAT point the end of the exit ramp from the interstate at which point you would need to yield to those on Carowinds Blvd.

Hated the long lines last year. We can only go on a Friday or Saturday night. Maybe the lack-luster reviews of Scarowinds will make the lines shorter this year. Or, here's a thought.... have more mazes so the crowds are more disbursed.