General Carowinds discussion
By Edwardo
That’s not a large plot of land. And it’s not about what anyone here wants, it’s about whether the park thinks it’ll get a good return on investment.

Stop thinking about it from the perspective of preference. The park certainly doesn’t.
By tarheel1231
Edwardo wrote:Stop thinking about it from the perspective of preference. The park certainly doesn’t.

Say it louder for the people in the back! My “preference” for Vortex would be to melt it into silverware, but that has no actual bearing on whether or not the park will convert it.
By uscbandfan
I also don't necessarily think that RRR is a big enough plot of land for a major coaster unless they remove the Paladium (which I don't think they're going to do). Since they're expanding the parking lot between the hotel and the front gate and they're not currently in a parking crisis, the obvious thought is that they're going to remove unused spaces... presumably near the South Gate. That would tend to lead that the next major attraction would go in the Dino's/South Gate area.

With that in mind, my guess is construction on the next big coaster will commence in 2021 with an opening in spring of 2022. Then again, the 50th anniversary is March 31, 2023 so maybe they will wait and have a huge attraction opening on the 50th anniversary date.

I just hope they tear up the parking lot like they did with intimidator and not build a parking lot coaster like they did in 1974 (Thunder Road was a parking lot coaster) and like so many other parks do.
To the best of my knowledge, Cedar Fair has never built a "parking lot coaster", it's really only Six Flags that's done that anytime in the last twenty years, and even then the only egregious example I can think of is Scream at SFMM.

I think at this point every major operator understands that they don't want their major capital investments to look like the frickin state fair lol.
By Distopia
Coasterphreak wrote:To the best of my knowledge, Cedar Fair has never built a "parking lot coaster", it's really only Six Flags that's done that anytime in the last twenty years, and even then the only egregious example I can think of is Scream at SFMM.

I think at this point every major operator understands that they don't want their major capital investments to look like the frickin state fair lol.

Avachane Run(later Disaster Transport)
Intimidator
Fury 325
Gatekeeper
Ghostrider
Dominator
Wild Thing
Steel Venom
Leviathan
Steel Force(maybe)
And Behemoth(very small section)

Only difference between CF and SF is CF removes the parking lot under the coaster in most of those cases.

Six Flags normally doesn’t. When you think about that means they don’t have pay someone to mow under the parking lot sections of the coaster and how long do most people have to look around on a coaster?
When referring to a "parking lot coaster" one is typically describing an attraction built over a former guest or employee parking area where it remains obvious what former purpose the area of land used to serve. It is not a reference to attractions built on areas that were formerly parking lots but retained no evidence of that fact after opening day.

It's like saying Copperhead Strike is built over a manmade lake because there used to be several in the general area the attraction occupies, even though that is no longer the case.
By Edwardo
Anyone thinking they’re going to build something big for the 50th should look at what Knotts is doing for the 100th and CP is doing for the 150th next year lol.
By uscbandfan
Parking lot coaster = coaster where you can still see the doggone parking lot lines under the support structure. (Not that the company has taken the time to re-landscape what was formerly a parking lot into just a little bit of greenery and theming as was done with both Fury 325 and Intimidator. Hooray to Carowinds and Cedar Fair.) As someone else mentioned, leaving the parking lot under the coaster makes it look like a portable fair ride on the midway. A little landscaping goes a LONG way.

As a caveat, even though they're removed the "lines", I still would throw Green Lantern into that mix. Rent a bulldozer, and chew up the asphalt and throw out some grass seed.
By Chris
tarheel1231 wrote:Cedar Fair has done the conversion to two coasters (with them stating in a conference call a few years ago that they identified two more to convert after Rougarou- i.e. CGA and Carowinds)

Correct me if I am wrong, but the conference call said they identified two other "coaster conversions in their chain" (not an exact quote). I interpreted that to mean any coaster conversion. I think Mean Streak and Hurler were the other two that they were hinting at in the conference call. But maybe I'm wrong.
By gabed
Unless that 200 foot wooden coaster has I-Box track, I'll pass. Traditional wooden coasters that barely surpass 100 feet are just fine with me.
By Afterburn
http://screamscape.com/html/carowinds.htm
Future Attraction Rumors - (8/9/20) While the 2020 season was a bust, an early rumor has surfaced for what Carowinds may be planning for 2021. While next year will finally see the waterslide from 2020 open in the waterpark, an early rumor suggests that Carowinds may have been planning on adding a new car ride to the park in 2021, possibly on part of the former Dinosaurs Alive site. It isn’t entirely surprising, as the park’s old car ride was removed to make way for Dinosaurs Alive years ago.

I just hope they don’t try to take up all the Dinosaurs Alive site for a car ride… that site is easily big enough for a great medium to large sized coaster, or could be used to construct another entire themed land full of smaller flat rides, much like the County Fair area. Just something to think about I guess...
By gabed
As much as I wanted to see that plot of land go to a coaster, that would be a nice addition to the park. Kings Island's was very pretty and while I did not ride it myself it was fairly popular with younger audiences.