General Carowinds discussion
By MarkD
Shew!! You all make some good points and good opinions.
As far as the whole Carolina themeing and the parks areas I think it is great that they added the Ricochet and Carolina Boardwalk to kind of keep with the Carolina beachy theme. The Gold Rusher also fits in that area as we have Reed's Gold mine right down the road. The Carolina Cyclone also fits there to me.
To me I realy don't want anymore Carolina themeing. I mean, I live here and have been there and done that. Since most agree it is still a "local" attraction why do we want to see Carolina stuff? Don't get me wrong I miss alot of what Carowinds had in the early days but it is no longer a locally owned park. It is a movie studio park and I would give anything to see a North Carolina version of Islands of Adventure or MGM Studios.
By Jonathan
Then why post a reply?
By Dukeis#1
ghettopastries wrote: But what makes you think that they aren't capable of doing it? They have had numerous amounts of survey's throughout the year, including a few that focused on movie themed shows, restaurants, and events. They even had a survey on giving their parks a movie themed 'facelift'. It is either that, or no theming at all. Everyone complains about the lack of theming, yet if they were to theme it to a movie, it would also cause complaining because it isn't after the 'Carolinas', or the park should be called 'Parawinds'. Granted these are all your opinions and I respect them, but have you ever been to Universal? I am sure some of you have - wouldn't you like something similiar to it, close to home? Now don't get me wrong in saying that they are going to spend $80 million on one attraction like Universal, but Paramount proved with Tomb Raider that a seasonal theme park can build a highly themed ride for about $15 million, and it would be nice to see more of that in their parks.

I also respect your opinions, and I have been to both Islands of Adventure and Universal.

Both of those parks are extrordinary, and I often have imagined a Carowinds where the movies & themes of Paramount work side-by-side with the Carolina Theming. One thing I'd love for Carowinds to do is add some sort of "Street Set" (Ala-New York Street @ MGM or San Fransisco @ Universal) to the park. Possibly putting it where Thrill Zone is.

But, one thing I dislike about Islands of Adventure is it's plastic-ness. Bright Color Overload. I mean yes, Cartoon Characters and Comics are cool, but it's just to much of it. The real thing Islands of Adventure lacks (Not including Jurassic Park and Lost Continent) is depth. Everything looks far to unbelievable and outlandish for one's sences to become truly relaxed. While at Carowinds, one can sit on a park bench in Paramount Plaza or Carolina Boardwalk and fit right in.

Carowinds has a realistic charm that I always hope it keeps, no matter what the park's future adventures in theming might be. I Can stand a Movie Studio Park, But I CAN'T stand an Action-Park.

Volcano: The Blast Coaster was excellently themed, but that's about as impressed as I've been with Paramount yet.

By the way, Busch Gardens did pretty damn good with Escape From Pompeii back in '93 as well.

Cephas said:
I would totally disagree with that, six flags is so much better. They have better rides, themeing, and food.

You've obviously never been to a Six Flags. While Six Flags Over Georgia is on about the same level as Carowinds (and in some ways evan better) The Six Flags chain as a whole is the Wal-Mart of the Park industry. Delivering a low quality product at high-prices. (though Wal-Mart does have some pretty good deals...)

And I think the only attempt that the current Six Flags has ever did with theming was with cheesy Superman and Batman named rides. How I miss the days when Time-Warner was incharge....
By coasterbruh
Dukeis#1 wrote:
But, one thing I dislike about Islands of Adventure is it's plastic-ness.  Bright Color Overload.  I mean yes, Cartoon Characters and Comics are cool, but it's just to much of it.  The real thing Islands of Adventure lacks (Not including Jurassic Park and Lost Continent) is depth.  Everything looks far to unbelievable and outlandish for one's sences to become truly relaxed.  While at Carowinds, one can sit on a park bench in Paramount Plaza or Carolina Boardwalk and fit right in. 

Umm..........well...........that was the idea of that park and that is what Universal was goin for.......and how can you say it lacks depth?? That is the deepest and most thought out park ever. How would you theme whimsical and make-believe characters?? Show me a real tree from the pages of Dr. Suess's Whoville. Inorder for most of that stuff to be in the park it **had** to be plastic.

Coasterbruh thinks people are too critical and too whiny about theme parks!! He thinks some people need to look deeper into the concept of a theme park and find out what the intentions of that particular park were before ranting on about hog-wash!!
By ghettopastries
I definately agree with you Dukeis#1 on the 'street set idea'. That would look very nice, especially in Thrill Zone. When I was referring to Universal, I was referring to Universal Studios, and not Islands of Adventure as an example - I didn't make that clear in my last post. Even though I disagree somewhat on your views of certain IOA theming, I could see the children's areas at Carowinds having the plastic, bright color atmoshphere your talking about.
By Dukeis#1
coasterbruh wrote:
Dukeis#1 wrote:
But, one thing I dislike about Islands of Adventure is it's plastic-ness.  Bright Color Overload.  I mean yes, Cartoon Characters and Comics are cool, but it's just to much of it.  The real thing Islands of Adventure lacks (Not including Jurassic Park and Lost Continent) is depth.  Everything looks far to unbelievable and outlandish for one's sences to become truly relaxed.  While at Carowinds, one can sit on a park bench in Paramount Plaza or Carolina Boardwalk and fit right in. 

Umm..........well...........that was the idea of that park and that is what Universal was goin for.......and how can you say it lacks depth?? That is the deepest and most thought out park ever. How would you theme whimsical and make-believe characters?? Show me a real tree from the pages of Dr. Suess's Whoville. Inorder for most of that stuff to be in the park it **had** to be plastic.

Coasterbruh thinks people are too critical and too whiny about theme parks!! He thinks some people need to look deeper into the concept of a theme park and find out what the intentions of that particular park were before ranting on about hog-wash!!

Umm...Well...I did't literally mean "plastic" as in household product.

I'm talking atmosphere. I'm not saying Islands of Adventure is a bad park. It is a top Park, and has something for everyone. Great Customer service, Emmensly themed rides and attractions, and great crowd control.

But, it seems 2D compared to Universal or any of the Disney Parks [Not including Future World at Epcot Center]. When you look at a structure in Islands of Adventure, it's all there. When you look at a structure in Universal, it is a feast for your eyes.

But we all have our own opinions.

-Dukeis#1, who goes to a park for more than just 90 mph thrills.

Flame Away!
By coasterbruh
I mean its soo funny because your stating the sole purpose of the park when you say its 2D. All the cartoon thats its based on ARE 2D so guess what.................THE THEMEING IS GONNA BE 2D. And the only area tha arent 2D are the 2 areas that were based on real life so of course those areas are gonna be. Personally i feel that IOA is very 3D.

It just wouldnt feel like the sunday morning comics of it wasnt 2D. Nor would it feel like i fell into the pages of marvel comics if it wasnt 2D.
By Cephas
:o Now that's sad, they have over 50 parks.

Isn't this topic pointless, because the color of the coster does not support "Wright Flight" and the name is going to be something about Star Trek.
By Trev32
Why coulden't they pick smthing better than Star Trek?? i hate it!IMO it's a terrible idea for a theme!
By Jonathan
They haven't officially picked Star Trek yet; it's just speculation, so let's save the flaming for at least another month. :P
By Trev32
Yeah but watch,that's what it's going to be, I only know one person that actually likes star trek.
By Jonathan
I don't like Star Trek at all myself, but I still think it would be a cool theme for a ride.
By goldeneaglecal302
May I point this out, that if i am correct. Is the supports being colored Baby Blue? Cal
By CarowindsZone
They are black. Baby blue, where in the world did you get that, Cal?
By goldeneaglecal302
I saw a picture that had the supports Baby Blue. Cal