General Carowinds discussion
By Cephas
Have they ever actually found a gun or actual wepon with those metal detectors? not that I don't think they're necessary or anything...

With the security in place now, couldn't you still bring plastic explosives in if you had nothing better to do than blow up a rollercoaster?
By dukefanswimmer89
For the finger-print idea, it's brilliant.. but...

I don't think it'll work for Platinum's b/c of the double ride thing, unless they install machines at every ride, otherwise they'll still stick to cards...

As for security, here's my view:
Security is important, IF it means something. This goes hand in hand w/ the passes w/ pictures on it. I have seen 1 attendant check my photo in the 12 times i've been there this season.. that leaves lots of room for the fraud they try to look out for.. the only improvement has been the rule that you can only get in once per day. But that doesn't eliminate the usage of a pass by another person. On Double Ride Tuesdays, I see lots of ppl get double rides by just waving their pass in the air at an employee, and the employee gives them the tag. Once again, why invest in those expensive printing machines if you aren't going to check the picture? I agree w/ Cephas that Carowinds could do fraud-prevention as well as the fingerprints if it told the employees what to do, and that would be free.

The security at Carowinds is awful. Sure, you walk through a metal detector, but your bag doesn't, and if you've ever been there at 10am, you'd know that the line is so big, the attendant opens your bag, looks at it, closes it, and gives it back to you. The only time I saw attendees really checking is the first year those were in place. Now, unless you come at the obscure time of after 2 or 3, the check will not be safe. What's the purpose of spending that much money if the check is worthless? Maybe Carowinds could invest in Xray machines, or if not, have a decent check by telling all employees to search bags through. People wouldn't mind the line if they knew it was worth it, if the security was working, but i've heard a lot of ppl complain at the worthlessness of a delay if the checking doesn't work, it would be extremely easy to bring an illegal object into Carowinds if you wanted to, and the person who would do that wouldn't put it at the top of their bag.

Sure I'd like to feel safe, but if i'm being delayed and not even being checked, then that delay was worthless. Carowinds needs to ensure that it's employees at the gates do their job before throwing tons of money on systems that may actually not be practical.
By bgwfreak
Cephas wrote: Have they ever actually found a gun or actual wepon with those metal detectors? not that I don't think they're necessary or anything...

With the security in place now, couldn't you still bring plastic explosives in if you had nothing better to do than blow up a rollercoaster?

No, but they found 50,000 nail clippers. Those are dangerous. :D
By dukefanswimmer89
it's funny the battle they choose -
remove everyone's cosmetic goods instead of enforcing their prohibition of outside food :o - now that's the real danger to their rip off monopoly pricing.... ;)
By Dukeis#1
Cephas wrote: Have they ever actually found a gun or actual wepon with those metal detectors? not that I don't think they're necessary or anything...

Well...

Remember a few years ago (I think it was 2000 or 2001) when the Dippin' Dots employee was robbed at knife point? I think that was one of the things that prompted the park to eventually add metal detectors.

For several weeks following the incident, the park's security guards used hand-held detectors at the entrance.
By Z-Man20
Hello to everyone.....
First of all, let me apologize in advance for the lengthy post, but after 3 years i have a lot to say. You see, I worked in the screening dept. at carowinds for the past 3 years. I started when it was first introduced, and eventually moved up to be one of the dept. supervisors. I caught on to this web sit a year or two ago, and used it to my advantage to see what the guests had to say about how the screener dept. was running. I've finally gotten to the point where I am tired of everyone complainig about how things are/were being handled as far as policies, etc..... To those on this forum who actually appriciate the job that the screeners do, I thank you. Nice comments from park guest are few and far between. To call the metal detectors a waste of money and pratical is wrong. Since 2003, we have stopped everything from small, everyday pocket knives to illegal items. To say that the people at the gate are not doing their job is not entirely true either. While I will admit that there were a few select individuals who did not want to be there and did not care, MOST of the front gate screeners DO care and constantly try to ensure that all guest have a safe and enjoyable experience. I will say that it is much more difficult to accomplish this in the morning(between 10-11:30am)because of the rush of people coming in, but that comes with the territory, especially on Saturdays. You have to look at things from two perspectives. First, if metal detection wasn't in place at all, and there was an "incident", everyone would complain about not having screening or any form of metal detection/bag checks. second, with 10-20,000+ on any given weekend coming through, that equals alot of bags that come through the lines. If we didn't move fast, you would all complain about waiting in line for 30 mins. just to get in the park. The idea of X-ray machines has been thought of before, but it is simply not economical, nor is it cost effective. Think about it, if we ran bags through an X-ray machine, and there happened to be something inside of the bag, the bag would still have to be opened and hand searched in order to pull the item out. dukefanswimmer89, you make reference to the 2004 food policy, and how we "abandoned" it. We "abandoned" it b/c a: we are not food police and b: it made are jobs ten times harder because of angry/unrully guests who choose not to obey the rules that are clearly posted before the even reach the detectors. To review, are the screeners 100% acurate, not always. But with the time and budget that we were given, I feel that we ALWAYS did the best job possible.
p.s- Please don't flame me for this, I am just one guy who has experinced things from the other side of the fence. If you were in my shoes, you might feel the same way. :ph34r:
By RollerBee
-
Last edited by RollerBee on July 21st, 2015, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
By swampfox43
Personally, I do not mind the metal detectors and I appreciate the ones that are doing their job to thorougly screen park guests. My only problem is when I go to the park in the late afternoons, and there is only one detector in operation and the line is 50 people deep. That kinda irks me, but because they have my safety as their concern, I have never complained about it. It would be nice if they could open up another detector when the line gets long to help speed things up. Kinda like they do in the grocery store.
:)
By RollerBee
-
Last edited by RollerBee on July 21st, 2015, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
By MarkD
That is why I carry my camera / fannypack. It has 3 compartments: 1 for the camera, 1 for my money and ID, 1 for whatever else I brought.

Entering the park is always easy for me as everything I have is in the pack and I take it off, put it in the basket, retrieve it from the other side, unzip 3 compartments, let them look, zip it shut, put it on and I am on my way.

I agree with swampfox tho as at times they just seem to shut down too many lanes.
By Z-Man20
I can assure you that those detectors are on 24/7. We try very, very hard to calibrate them so that the little things like belt buckles, change, etc. don't set the detectors off and slow us down further. Swampfox43, I agree with having one line open and having it be 50 people deep. I t should NEVER be that way in the first place, especially that late in the afternoon. Believe me, I would like to have every line open at all park hours, but we have to contend with a little thing called a budget, and we didn't have one.
By coasterbruh
You'll have to excuse rottennuts he's one of jerry kids and this is an equal oppurtunity message board...
By MarkD
Yea, I know, bringing this topic up again.

I was just wondering something. I had an accident when I was in the 7th grade that took off part of my right index finger. With the scans being the "peace" sign from the right hand I wonder how that would affect me. I did the scan thing at Seaworld last year but that was with the left hand.
By coasterholic14
my dad has similar scanners at work to the ones the parks are now using, where it scans your entire hand that is put in there. The problem with them he said is if he wears a ring one day and not another, or moves it some, it does not scan his hand and therefore doesnt give him clearance. We were at Busch Gardens Tampa, not this past week but the week before, and they had the fingerprint scanners, but they only wound up scanning us 2 out of the 4 days. Do they just do it on random days or at certain times, cuz if they have them and arent going to use them all the time, it's not gonna do much good having them.
By BoRgAsSiMiLaToR
ok it says in the 1st post that 2006 plantium pass holders dont do the finger scanning....this isnt true? I just got my platinum pass made today and they made me do a finger scan.....theres no pictures on the Sp for next year..........