General Carowinds discussion
By KenB
From what I've read on the Disney and BGW systems - which sound very similar to the one Carowinds is testing - they do not store your fingerprints at all.

They take a "biometric measurement" of your fingers and assign a number to that which is stored on the pass the first time you use it. When you use it again, it does the measurement, checks that the numbers match, and it lets you in. The biometric measurement doesn't provide a unique identifier like a fingerprint - people can have the same measurements - but it's enough to serve the purpose of determining whether the cardholder's fingers are actually in the machine.

KenB
By Carowindsman
Yah i really think this will help out in the long run because there is alot of fraud with the passes. Take for instance for Double Ride Tuesday alot of people show there cards and its not them so we cant let them ride. (It causes problems but hey were just doing are job)
By coastermom2
KenB wrote:From what I've read on the Disney and BGW systems - which sound very similar to the one Carowinds is testing - they do not store your fingerprints at all.

They take a "biometric measurement" of your fingers and assign a number to that which is stored on the pass the first time you use it.  When you use it again, it does the measurement, checks that the numbers match, and it lets you in.  The biometric measurement doesn't provide a unique identifier like a fingerprint - people can have the same measurements - but it's enough to serve the purpose of determining whether the cardholder's fingers are actually in the machine.

KenB

It sounds cool but I don't really understand it. Then again, there's
a lot about technology that I don't understand. A "biometric measurement"
of my finger? What if I smash my finger in the door and it swells up?
Does that mean I don't get into Carowinds because the measurement
doesn't match?
By coasterdude89
If they don't let you in, then that's when you whip out your pass and shove it in their faces for them to take a good look at the pic!
By CoasterChris
There ya go. That pretty much summs it up. Forget the scanners and have the employees start looking at passes. I'm sure their supposed to be doing that in the first place.
By coasterholic14
To me, this sounds like yet another waste of money (thousands of dollars) by the park, just like the full walk through metal detecters were last year (they could use the handheld ones if it was really necessary...whose gonna blow up such a small park anyway). IMO they should have saved the money and gotten a new ride for thrill seekers like me. Besides BORG, they havent added anything since Top Gun for me really.
By Carowinds2005
^ Im glad PC cares about our safety. But I say just make the Admission Associates look at your pass. That would save alot more money and time.
By coasterbruh
coasterholic14 wrote:To me, this sounds like yet another waste of money (thousands of dollars) by the park, just like the full walk through metal detecters were last year (they could use the handheld ones if it was really necessary...whose gonna blow up such a small park anyway).  IMO they should have saved the money and gotten a new ride for thrill seekers like me.  Besides BORG, they havent added anything since Top Gun for me really.

I hate to break it to ya but guess what...the park isnt made just for you! Wanna find out, dont go and see if you get a card in a mail saying how much the park misses you...they have 2 million plus guest loving the park so what is one "guest" gonna do to hurt that... <_<
By coasterholic14
Carowinds2005 wrote: ^ Im glad PC cares about our safety. But I say just make the Admission Associates look at your pass. That would save alot more money and time.

^ agreed man! B)

and coasterbruh, i in no way think i am their only guest...i am one in 2 million. But carowinds says their target group and majority of their guests is teenagers (the thrill seekers, not kiddie rides), and the comment about a delirium was just me stating something i'd like to see, whats wrong with that? You dont have to get so pissy about it :P
By Jonathan
But carowinds says their target group and majority of their guests is teenagers

Umm... perhaps I missed something, but the park has quite clearly been focusing on bringing families into the park.
By coasterholic14
I think that is what they are trying to shift their focus to, but for many years they stated that they were aiming for teenagers. Teens are still the main group but i believe they are trying to bring in a more rounded crowd of everyone. Sorry, i put that other statement badly.
By carowindsfreak13
Well, overall, I think I see more Teens and Thrill "Junkies" coming to the park which will most of the advertisers and Marketers to look for familys at the park :D
By coastermom2
coasterholic14 wrote:To me, this sounds like yet another waste of money (thousands of dollars) by the park, just like the full walk through metal detecters were last year (they could use the handheld ones if it was really necessary...whose gonna blow up such a small park anyway). 

"Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side."
-Darth Vader

I'm glad for any security measure Carowinds takes and I don't
mind going through the metal detectors and them searching through my bag every time. My family and friends are in that park and safety is very
important to me.
By carowindsfreak13
coastermom2 wrote:

I'm glad for any security measure Carowinds takes and I don't
mind going through the metal detectors and them searching through my bag every time. My family and friends are in that park and safety is very
important to me.

I agree 99.99999999%. :P Which you round it to 100%. If the park didn't take saftey as serious as they do, My parents wouldn't probaly let me go. :(
By coasterholic14
I agree with the safety 100%. but there are cheaper alternatives. I guess i dont mind the metal detectors (except that they can slow entrance lines down, but then again, entrance lines arent usually too big at carowinds)...but i still dont understand the fingerprint scanners. Not having them doesnt do any harm, plus they are gonna have problems now with people not wanting to touch the pads after 1000 people have already touched it (you know that someone will complain about that eventually). They better have tons of disinfectant bottls and wipes at the entrance. :P