Everything else goes here, including discussion of parks outside of Carowinds and any off-topic discussion
By JWitter
#106896
Hey, I travel a bit for my job, and I am often in southern states with Amusement parks. So my question is this:

Which parks are best? Which coasters should I check out? Which parks are worth skipping?

My work territory covers 10 states from Virginia down to Florida and over to the Texas Border.

Thanks in advance for any tips, suggestions, or ideas.
#106901
If you have a day (heck, half a day) you should go check out the Myrtle Beach area. There are two (three if you count the Sky Wheel) major spots for amusement rides. Those spots are Family Kingdom and The Pavillion Park (at Broadway at the Beach)

Family Kingdom has some great stuff like the Swamp Fox roller coaster, a cool drop tower called Slingshot, a wild mouse, and a unique log flume.

Pavillion has some really wacky and unique flat rides you won't find anywhere else. (gigantic claw swing ride, skyscraper, weird SBF gravitron thing, and this odd 200 foot one-of-a-kind inverting rocket ride. I don't know the manufacturer.) They also have an SBF spinner if you're looking for credits.

These two spots may be out of the way, and too small to really say they're the prime spots of the southeast, but you could probably get these done in half a day, maybe less. It's nothing to really miss, but I think these parks deserve some credit for how unique they are and how the Myrtle Beach area looks in general. If you're ever in the eastern part of the Carolinas, I think it's worth the trip to check these parks out.
By LocoDriver
#107189
Just went to Dollywood today. WAS NOT IMPRESSED. The landscape was beautiful and the staff was very friendly. Dollywood may be victim to me having to high of expectations.

I hit Lightning Rod 1st. It was awesome and IMO by far the best coaster in the lineup. Thunderhead was 2nd, but after that everything else was just average. Wild Eagle and Mystery Mine, did not meet my expectations.

The 2 biggest issues I had were as follows:

1. The ride operators were extremely slow. While I'm all for hiring retirees, I think most were better suited for something other than operating rides. THEY WERE PAIN STAKINLY SLOW.

2. The food....stood in line for nearly 30 minutes only to get 4 cold burgers and fries. All that and a milkshake and 3 sodas for $67. Need I say more?

Again, the staff was friendly and the landscape was beautiful but I did not leave there thinking I would ever upgrade a 1 day ticket into a annual pass. In other words I'm in no hurry to return. There just wasn't much there that I considered special.
User avatar
By mdsmith98
#107190
LocoDriver wrote:Just went to Dollywood today. WAS NOT IMPRESSED. The landscape was beautiful and the staff was very friendly. Dollywood may be victim to me having to high of expectations.

I hit Lightning Rod 1st. It was awesome and IMO by far the best coaster in the lineup. Thunderhead was 2nd, but after that everything else was just average. Wild Eagle and Mystery Mine, did not meet my expectations.

The 2 biggest issues I had were as follows:

1. The ride operators were extremely slow. While I'm all for hiring retirees, I think most were better suited for something other than operating rides. THEY WERE PAIN STAKINLY SLOW.

2. The food....stood in line for nearly 30 minutes only to get 4 cold burgers and fries. All that and a milkshake and 3 sodas for $67. Need I say more?

Again, the staff was friendly and the landscape was beautiful but I did not leave there thinking I would ever upgrade a 1 day ticket into a annual pass. In other words I'm in no hurry to return. There just wasn't much there that I considered special.


Huh. Maybe you just had a bad visit. I go to Dollywood at least 8 times a year, and the operations have been for the most part good. I will admit, LR’s operations could be better, but everything else was great.

Yea, the food is rather pricey. But that’s to be expected at any amusement/theme park.
By LocoDriver
#107193
"Yea, the food is rather pricey. But that’s to be expected at any amusement/theme park."

Its not that it's pricey, it's the fact that it was not up to par for theme park food. You know going in that food will cost you your first born, lol, but for that you would hope that it would be served warm, fresh and timely.
User avatar
By Chris
#107194
I 100% agree about Dollywood not meeting expectations. I left having the same general feeling as you. I do love me some Tennessee Tornado, though.

With that said, your biggest mistake you made was going to Dollywood for food and then ordering burgers, fries, and shakes. Dollywood has some of the best food ever, and it's not the burgers.
By LocoDriver
#107200
Chris wrote:With that said, your biggest mistake you made was going to Dollywood for food and then ordering burgers, fries, and shakes. Dollywood has some of the best food ever, and it's not the burgers.


Unfortunately I have to choose the burger/fries option because that's what the kids want. I did see and smell some better options. I guess my main beef, no pun intended, is that for $67 you would at least expect the food to be served warm.
By Glitch99
#107227
LocoDriver wrote: it's the fact that it was not up to par for theme park food.

I tend to think that is par for theme park food. I've been generally impressed with Carowinds' food offerings (as long as you ignore the price tag). Or I may just be living in the past, when park food (besides the typical "novelty" items) was expected to be little more than basic sustanence.

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest