Everything else goes here, including discussion of parks outside of Carowinds and any off-topic discussion
By Jarsh
I have no ties to KI so I wasn't defending them. I was simply mentioning that the park just used the #WhatsInTheShed line and the public (enthusiasts and GP alike) is what ran away with it spouting off wild ideas of inversions and drop track. The park never promised anything in the shed and never mentioned anything about what was in there either. True, they didn't down play it when the rumors went into the unrealistic stage, but that's marketing genius for you. Put a bug in someone's ear and let the people do the rest.

Yeah, they used the hashtag to drum up curiosity about it, I mean, the name Mystic Timbers alone implies something mysterious and unknown, but as I said, the park never said what was in the shed so I don't see them as hyping up something that was expected and then not delivered on. That's the enthusiasts anticipointment coming into play. We wanted it to be more than 80's music and projections, but it isn't.

But I do agree with you that the #WhatsInTheShed probably went further than the park expected it to and the disappointment of it has now overshadowed how great the actual ride is, or so I've heard.
By Jonathan
the park never said what was in the shed so I don't see them as hyping up something that was expected and then not delivered on.

Yes. That is exactly how you create unreasonable hype for something. They didn't say what it was, yet by making it the most prominent marketing element for what is already a major roller coaster implied that it was the signature element of the ride. I think it was well beyond "putting a bug"; they brought it up ad naseum for every advertisement or press interview. People thought the shed was a big deal because the park communicated to them that it was a big deal.

This is not something limited to coaster nerds; in fact, I think the average guest is going to be even less forgiving. At least the nerds know that they're getting a badass GCI terrain woodie. To Joe Schmoe who just saw a post on Facebook or a spot on the local TV news where they focus so much on the shed, the shed is the thing to get excited about; the shed is what they are teasing.

Hopefully they continue to add quirky and unique elements like this to future rides, but I doubt you'll see them go overboard with marketing the "surprise" again.
By Jarsh
Unless there is something actually worth getting hyped over, haha.

Seems like I remember the same kind of thing with Smiler, wasn't it? They wouldn't tell everyone what the "secret element" was and I heard everything from rotating track to a "clothes dryer" element so they could spin you upside down an infinite number of time always retaining the count for most inversions, lol.
By arby
Yeah, I think it was way overhyped as well. While I am intrigued by the idea of something different to experience while sitting on the brake run, I think they went overboard in marketing something that is not really that much of a big deal to most.

My wife is not an amusement park enthusiast like me. However, as she spends a lot more time on social media than I do, she knew KI was building a shed. She had no idea there was a new wooden coaster, she just continued to see #WhatsInTheShed so figured they were building some shed-based attraction. Until I told her (yesterday) that it was part of a coaster, she didn't even know there was a new coaster being built there.

#marketing #fail IMO.
By FamousAmos
Not sure if I would really call it a fail. Probably more on the lines of #notproperlyexecuted maybe?
By Edwardo
So here's some info I picked up this weekend that I can share:

After seeing the deconstruction of Hurler, from what I've seen and heard, its looking similar to storm chaser and that's a good thing.

The coaster formerly known as mean streak is interesting. To Those that I've shared updates with (and those they've shared updates with), what I'm about to say will make more sense. CF & RMC are being so tight lipped about the ride that only a select few execs at CF know the real layout, and RMC is only releasing portions if the rides plans to the construction crew that are relevant to what section they're working on.

In fact, I only know as much as the next section they're working on, and it has me the most excited. So if anyone online or in person says they know the full layout or have seen the plans, they don't. And since the ride won't be opening till next year, they have plenty of time to get it ready, get Hurler ready, get their other project(s) ready, and fabricate any track for the free spins they may need.

I can't wait till both are announced for CF tho. And I can't wait to see what CF and RMC come up with next.
By Jonathan
Seems like I remember the same kind of thing with Smiler, wasn't it? They wouldn't tell everyone what the "secret element" was and I heard everything from rotating track to a "clothes dryer" element so they could spin you upside down an infinite number of time always retaining the count for most inversions, lol.

I didn't follow that project too closely, but if my memory is working right I think that one WAS a case of enthusiasts creating the hype. The park teased a "world's first" which turned out to be the first 14 inversion coaster. People online made the leap to coming up with the clothes dryer idea and other bizarre theories for the indoor part of the ride.
By coasterbruh
Edwardo wrote:CF & RMC are being so tight lipped about the ride that only a select few execs at CF know the real layout, and RMC is only releasing portions if the rides plans to the construction crew that are relevant to what section they're working on.

Are you sure??? Not saying you may not know what you are talking about but . . .are you sure???
By Edwardo
Positive. That came from someone who normally has access to said info way early on (and will be very involved with the ride once it's open) and even hes only allowed to get info as it comes to the construction crew.
By coasterbruh
Well, I personally kinda find it hard to believe but we will see! :thumbup:
By coasterbruh
Yeah because sometimes people mesh hope and "we would like to's" with actual, factuals. A lot of times parks would like to do things but its ultimately the folks at the top who makes the decisions. Which is why I tend to not listen to many local folks with "information" unless they can back it with SOLID facts and reason. Not just empty, idle speculation supported by nothing . . .

#NoFakenews