Everything else goes here, including discussion of parks outside of Carowinds and any off-topic discussion
By hikernut79
So I haven't been to Dollywood in a long time and haven't ridden Wild Eagle, Mystery Mine or Thunderhead but the main reason I am planning a visit this fall is to ride Lightning Rod. Now I find out is has been closed for a while now with Screamscape reporting it may not be up the rest of the season. What gives? Why can't they get this thing running smoothly?
By brownpa68
I went Sunday July 29th with the intention of riding Lightning Rod for the first time. I was disappointed to find it closed. I did get to ride Firechaser for the first time and it was a great coaster. I hope they get Lightning Rod's issues fixed. I am planning on getting a season pass next year.
By dabrian
It's a great coaster when it's running but it's down way to much. Hopefully they can get it figured out with the apparent long term closure.
By cwgator
In case anyone missed it...Lightning Rod reopened today!

By hikernut79
Just got back from my first visit to Dollywood and therefore first rides on Lightning Rod. OMG what a coaster!!! My 9 year old son and I were able to snag 4 rides on Friday the 23rd which was the day after Thanksgiving and the park was jam packed.

The highlight was a front row night ride. My goodness it felt like we were going off the rails on element after another. That quad down with the twist right turn at the end is one of the single best elements I've ever experienced on a coaster. Just insane! I cannot imagine how coasters can be much better than this but I know everyone says Steel Vengeance is another level. I guess I'll just have to see next year when I visit CP. I will say LR is a little short but that is a very minor complaint. Otherwise I would say it is darn near perfect. Because of the launch hill I don't think I've never ridden a coaster with that much intensity from start to finish. There is literally not a dull moment in the 90 seconds from start to finish.
By mdsmith98
hikernut79 wrote:Just got back from my first visit to Dollywood and therefore first rides on Lightning Rod. OMG what a coaster!!! My 9 year old son and I were able to snag 4 rides on Friday the 23rd which was the day after Thanksgiving and the park was jam packed.

The highlight was a front row night ride. My goodness it felt like we were going off the rails on element after another. That quad down with the twist right turn at the end is one of the single best elements I've ever experienced on a coaster. Just insane! I cannot imagine how coasters can be much better than this but I know everyone says Steel Vengeance is another level. I guess I'll just have to see next year when I visit CP. I will say LR is a little short but that is a very minor complaint. Otherwise I would say it is darn near perfect. Because of the launch hill I don't think I've never ridden a coaster with that much intensity from start to finish. There is literally not a dull moment in the 90 seconds from start to finish.

Yea, Lightning Rod is amazing. It's my second favorite RMC, and third favorite coaster overall. I was there last month, and i'll be there again this weekend. Here's to hoping it's open with no issues :D