General Carowinds discussion
With the demise of the flying dutchman at Kings Island, many of the B&M stand-ups , and one of the two Hurlers. There is no way the three above mentioned coasters can survive much longer. The big question for Carowinds will be, which will go first?

I honestly don't think Vortex will get a conversion. From what I have read, the new versions are just not that popular. Hurler will be converted at some point.
Just because Firehawk is closing doesn’t mean Nighthawk will within a year or three. Mantis was converted two years before Vortex(CGA) and ours is still standing two years after CGA.

What one park does, doesn’t always affect what Carowinds does.

Firehawk has a lot of room around it while Nighthawk is boxed in.
I imagine of the three, Hurler will go first. Thrill Zone is one of the last few areas in the park that hasn't been revamped yet, so I imagine that to help revamp the area, Hurler will be RMC'd within the next few years.

Nighthawk and Vortex I don't think will be touched for a while, or at least not until Hurler is converted and the Dinosaurs Alive plot is filled. I agree that Vortex probably won't be seeing a conversion at this point, although I wouldn't mind it myself -- it'd be a nice enough mid-tier ride. Since this most likely isn't happening, though, I could see us eventually getting a wing or dive coaster in the Nighthawk+Vortex plot.
You might as well drop Hurler off of the list. There is nothing wrong with it. Ridership is up, and it's the only wooden coaster. Also it made the list of the top five rides in the park with the highest ridership. Also, Thrill Zone has been revamped when Fury came in.
Nighthawk has a few more years left on it. I'm sure parts/ trains or train parts will be donated. Is it the best coaster??? No. Do people still love it? Absolutely. One day, we will have to say goodbye to Nighthawk, but right now it's still full of life and giving thrills.
Firehawk was located in a dead end of the park with terrible capacity. Nighthawk, while also sharing the same terrible capacity, is located smack in the middle of the park and one of its premier attractions. I don't think it'll operate forever, but given that they've probably just come into a windfall of spare parts (the Kentucky Flyer rumor is kind of BS), it'll probably continue to operate at Carowinds for the next decade. Maybe even longer if SFA decides to off Batwing.
I worry about Cyclone too. Other bigger, newer attractions are quickly making it look redundant. I'm not going to pretend it's making anyone's Top 10 lists, but I definitely have nostalgia with Cyclone that I don't have with Hurler, Vortex or Nighthawk. Those 3 along with Cobra can hit the bricks as far as I'm concerned. Cyclone would be as devastating to me as Thunder Road was.
I don’t want to get all KingsIslandCentral up in here but it seems to me Firehawk was taken out for a reason, it’s maintenance troubles didn’t seem to be so dire or else it could’ve been taken out two seasons ago or two seasons from now. The stage is mostly likely being set for their next major addition and Firehawk was the orphan from GL that never really meshed with the rest of the parked, dropped into a dead zone to spend the rest of its days. Nighthawk will stick around until the park decides that it’s time to replace it with the next park centerpiece. Batwing having major downtime the same year Firehawk closes is merely coincidence, it ain’t closing this season.

Personally Vortex seems to be the coaster that “something needs to be done to it” as soon as possible. I don’t see a Floortex doing much for our park, it might’ve made since on a large scaler like Mantis, or parks with a slim lineup (CGA/SFA), I think the park could be more creative with the space. Don’t tell me some antique cars in Carousel Park wouldn’t give the park some needed charm. Or a flat or two?

I’m not touching Hurler, it’s passable I guess but we know the magic that GCI & CF has been able to install at the parks this pst decade. I would like to know the parks stance on wooden coasters, how high on the list is installing a modern woodie at the park? Is the plan just a section of track work here and there for the next decade? Does Cedar Fair even care to work with RMC past 2018?
By Jay
Carowinds Sully wrote:
Jay wrote:Those 3 along with Cobra can hit the bricks as far as I'm concerned.

The Cobra shouldn't be going anywhere soon considering that it just got a major facelift

Yes I know, but I still wish it would leave... Be a great spot for a Giant Frisbee/Giant Discovery type ride.
Jay wrote:
Carowinds Sully wrote:

The Cobra shouldn't be going anywhere soon considering that it just got a major facelift

Yes I know, but I still wish it would leave... Be a great spot for a Giant Frisbee/Giant Discovery type ride.

I would gladly give up Vortex for a Frisbee. The importance of wood is a valid question. Mystic Timbers did not do much for the attendance at Kings Island, yet the dive coaster at Cedar Point and the two gigas were very successful. Could a dive machine be our next coaster? It would be a great replacement for Vortex and Cyclone.
Carowinds Sully wrote:

So did Thunder Road . . .