General Carowinds discussion
By Wood Coaster
1.) What if we never get a Vaccine for Covid-19.....?

AIDS... After 35+ years.... No Vaccine approved yet...... Different drugs have been produce in order for a patience to live with it or lessen the chances of getting it thru a drug called Descovy (Gilead)

Remdesivir (just approved by FDA) that is being produced by (Gilead) has shown in trials to be effective for treating Covid-19

There is hope a Vaccine for Covid-19 could be out in year with potential candidates in trials now
(2.) Any Willing Guinea Pigs Here...?

The best outcome MIGHT be a Fast Burnout for Covid-19 early this summer
3.) Could an old Story Book (Tortoise & the Hare) play out here... (Fast infectious Virus runs out of energy)

By Chris
Christopher Mallis wrote:We can’t stay on lockdown forever. There’s an economy that needs to recover and the longer we wait, the worse it gets. Things are gonna start opening up with all the limitations to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Which relative would you like to sacrifice to "save the economy?" You seem to have no problem saying other people will have to die to "save the economy," so which one of your elderly relatives would you like to give up? Which life is worthless, so we can "save an economy"? I'll wait while you decide.

More importantly, opening up early will actually DESTROY the economy. Right now, small business owners are using grants and loans to get by. If a state opens back up, guess what those business owners no longer have access to? That's right... those CARE Act grants are only for shut down states.
So now the small business is forced to open. But no one shows up. And they have to let go of an employee or two. But guess what, that laid off employee can now only get a small amount of unemployment because he/she no longer qualifies for the extra help because this state is now open. So the small business owner now has to pay the unemployment instead of letting the federal funds take care of it during the disaster.
Opening up merely puts ALL responsibilities to the small business owner, while giving them no help along the way. It's insane watching the sheep fall for this.
By Glitch99
Chris wrote:
Christopher Mallis wrote:We can’t stay on lockdown forever. There’s an economy that needs to recover and the longer we wait, the worse it gets. Things are gonna start opening up with all the limitations to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Which relative would you like to sacrifice to "save the economy?" You seem to have no problem saying other people will have to die to "save the economy," so which one of your elderly relatives would you like to give up? Which life is worthless, so we can "save an economy"? I'll wait while you decide.

Yes, that's always the retort, regardless of the argument being made. Because obviously the death count was zero yesterday, and it'll explode as soon as things start to reopen. Ignore all the facts that inform the opinion on re-opening, because those people are just idiots anyways.

Did you drive somewhere today? So who's life did you declare "worthless", since you in fact risked your own life and the lives of everyone you drove by while taking that trip? I'll wait while you decide.

We take calculated risks all the time in our daily lives. Now suddenly, in this one very specific situation, it's becomes so absolute and a risk we should avoid at all cost?

Chris wrote:If a state opens back up, guess what those business owners no longer have access to? That's right... those CARE Act grants are only for shut down states.
So now the small business is forced to open. But no one shows up. And they have to let go of an employee or two. But guess what, that laid off employee can now only get a small amount of unemployment because he/she no longer qualifies for the extra help because this state is now open. So the small business owner now has to pay the unemployment instead of letting the federal funds take care of it during the disaster.
Opening up merely puts ALL responsibilities to the small business owner, while giving them no help along the way. It's insane watching the sheep fall for this.

That's simply not true. No one is being forced to open, no one is losing access to aid simply because their state lifted a stay-at-home order, no one automatically looses unemployment benefits. At some point, sure, but nothing any state can do now will make that happen at least until the end of the summer.

People need to drop the headline implication that "re-opening" is the same as "pretending that this never happened".
By Chris
Glitch99 wrote:
Chris wrote:

Yes, that's always the retort, regardless of the argument being made. Because obviously the death count was zero yesterday, and it'll explode as soon as things start to reopen. Ignore all the facts that inform the opinion on re-opening, because those people are just idiots anyways.

You do realize that all of the experts think we should not reopen, right? Surely you know that but based on this comment, I'm not so sure.

Chris wrote:If a state opens back up, guess what those business owners no longer have access to? That's right... those CARE Act grants are only for shut down states.
Opening up merely puts ALL responsibilities to the small business owner, while giving them no help along the way. It's insane watching the sheep fall for this
Glitch99 wrote:That's simply not true. No one is being forced to open, no one is losing access to aid simply because their state lifted a stay-at-home order, no one automatically looses unemployment benefits. At some point, sure, but nothing any state can do now will make that happen at least until the end of the summer.

People need to drop the headline implication that "re-opening" is the same as "pretending that this never happened".

You are seriously misinformed if you think what I said is not true.

I'm done with you because facts are something you refuse to acknowledge.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/04/us/c ... dates.html
By Glitch99
Chris wrote:
Glitch99 wrote:
Chris wrote:
You are seriously misinformed if you think what I said is not true.

I'm done with you because facts are something you refuse to acknowledge.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/04/us/c ... dates.html

You're trying to claim that since NC is starting to re-open on Friday, all Federal aid, PPP funding, unemployment benefits, etc will no longer be available to anyone in the state? That other states where restaurants are now able to serve in-house, no one is getting any of this aid any more?

The only thing remotely implied in pages of google results is that you might lose your unemployment benefits if you turn down a job offer, and do not have another valid reason for being unable to work. But that's equally true right now, and has nothing to do with allowing places to re-open.

Talk about misinformed.
Last edited by Glitch99 on May 6th, 2020, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Scheer1852
Based on Governor Coopers feedback yesterday, if all goes well with phases one and two of reopening then phase three will follow sometime in late June/early July. I would think that’s when we’ll see Carowinds reopening. I read, in a couple of different places, that Disney World, as well as some six flags parks, were targeting dates in June for reopening. A July open for Carowinds would fit into the stage three timeline and allow them to learn from some of the other Park openings that will happen before then.

Overall, I think Governor Cooper has done a good job, and been a little more conservative in his approach than some of the other southern governors, which I’m thankful for. Assuming all is going well in terms curve flattening and the park is taking proper precautions (ie. regular ride sanitization, access to hand sanitizer and masks for guests) then I’ll be happy to go back when that time comes, whether it’s in July (cautiously optimistic) or sometime later.
By Chris
Glitch99 wrote:
Chris wrote:
Glitch99 wrote:

You're trying to claim that since NC is starting to re-open on Friday, all Federal aid, PPP funding, unemployment benefits, etc will no longer be available to anyone in the state? That other states where restaurants are now able to serve in-house, no one is getting any of this aid any more?

Talk about misinformed.

You got me to reply after I said I wouldn't, congrats. But, no that is not what I said. Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit I see. Somehow, you read my statement, "If a state opens back up" and interpreted that to mean, "When NC does phase 1 of reopening on Friday (which is basically not any different)"
I didn't know I was dealing with someone who tries to manipulate what someone says to try and prove a point.

Let me try and break it down so even you can understand. If states FULLY reopen, then small businesses would not be eligible for CARE Act loans and grants. But of course, they could apply for normal SBA loans.
Last edited by Chris on May 6th, 2020, 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By uscbandfan
You know, he's right. Who, in your family will you sacrifice so the economy can recover?

I hate Donald Trump but the "Hoax" article is a true statement of "Fake News". Tell that to the families of the now more than 70,000 dead (now surpassing the flu deaths of all of 2019 with only about 2% of the number of infections as the flu.

By the way, if you wear a mask and drive your car for necessities and use the wipes for your hands and buggies and stay 6 feet away from people, you are NOT putting the general public at risk. If you put 15,000 people into a park with literally everyone touching the same surfaces and standing on top of each other, that's a different story.

I did hear that Six Flags Magic Mountain is going to reopen by reservation only later this month with temperature scanners at the gates. I'm not even sure that's a great idea considering the woman I know who is positive for COVID-19 and is NOT running a temperature and NOT visibly sick but is quarantined because she is infectious.

yes, the economy needs to come back... I agree. But, if we do this too quickly, we'll be in worse shape if this kicks back up again. People need to use their brains.

GIVEN WHAT WE KNOW NOW.... I think July or August is a reasonable expectation. Things could change though.

Here's a real question... Since Carowinds is on the border and is certified by both states, do the policies of both states matter on reopening... or just NC since it has a NC address? I'm guessing both but I honestly don't know.
By Scheer1852
I would think the policies of both states would matter, but essentially it’s really just going to matter what NC is dictating as they’ve been far more cautious than SC in terms of reopening.
By Glitch99
Chris wrote:
Glitch99 wrote:
Chris wrote:

Talk about misinformed.

You got me to reply after I said I wouldn't, congrats. But, no that is not what I said. Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit I see. Somehow, you read my statement, "If a state opens back up" and interpreted that to mean, "When NC does phase 1 of reopening on Friday (which is basically not any different)"
I didn't know I was dealing with someone who tries to manipulate what someone says to try and prove a point.

Let me try and break it down so even you can understand. If states FULLY reopen, then small businesses would not be eligible for CARE Act loans and grants. But of course, they could apply for normal SBA loans.

Has anyone here remotely suggested that we should quickly return to normal as if this never happened? You're the one who's apparently arguing that starting to reopen the economy means declaring the disaster over and done. I know, I know, if I even suggest that maybe we shouldnt be terrorized by the thought of coming within 6 feet of any other people, then I must think the whole thing is a hoax and we should just get back to normal.

I even specifically agreed that at some point all this support and aid would disappear. At some point, when it's all over. But you made your claim in opposition to the mere desire to start allowing businesses to re-open.