General Carowinds discussion
By Jonathan
This was sent to me in an email, and the author requested to remain anonymous.

The name of the new coaster is "the borg"
Now that that's over with...
How about addressing one of the worst days in park history which occurred a
couple of weeks ago.  Approximately 22 full-time Carowinds employees were
laid off, in what the new general manager, Rob Rankin, calls a "focus on
front line employees."  What was not said in the press release was that
much of the staff had 20 or more years dedicated to the park.  There were
even a couple with 32 years in, now leaving the park with no members who
had been there since the park opened.  These managers were
professionals.  They knew how the park operated, and they knew what the
Carolinas wanted and needed in an amusement park.  They also provided the
Carolinas with one of the safest records in the amusement park industry
-worldwide.  Rob may be able to get away with this kind of action in Santa
Clara, where there are more students, and entertainment -seeking employees
who can easily step up to a seasonal management position, but here in the
east, he's got a much more difficult task ahead.  Replacing these
professionals with seasonal management isn't fair to the full time members
working with them, the seasonal replacements themselves, nor the customers
in which they serve.  Those positions were year round jobs, which include
medical and retirement benefits, and it's not fair to the seasonal
management to do the same job for less.  Paramount Parks has made a poor
decision with this action.  Those managers were fellow Carolinians, and
Paramount Parks has just demonstrated how important Carolinians are.
Jonathan, I apologize for the "tone" I may have placed in this email.  I
enjoy your site very much.  Your site is an example that Carowinds has
brought something enjoyable to your life as it has many.  I just hate to
see such a poor decision by Paramount Parks affect something that so many
Carolinians have come to enjoy.

I would prefer to remain anonymous, however any discussions regarding the
above topics would be encouraged.  Thanks.

Discuss.
By Trev32
holy crap this is awsome! the new coaster is named the borg? sounds better than star trek.
By The Anomaly
Hm...this email sounds like it may be legit, but considering that this is coming from an anonymous source and the fact that they are encouraging you to discuss it here makes me think otherwise...but maybe it's just me.
By montumax
One thing that strikes me funny is that Rankin isn't going to be the GM of the park next year. Wonder if this was Rankin's idea or the new guy's. I'll wait for the park to officially announce the change.

Maybe I'm a bit insensitive sometimes...but firings and downsizings happen all the time. Some long time employees could have been terminated but there is usually a reason for it. Personally, I don't place much confidence in emails like this and it all reeks of sour apples to me.

The Borg? Sounds fishy to me. I mean it could still be Star Trek but sounds like this person just wanted some publicity.

Trev...the Borg is Star Trek.

Max
By Davidson640
I was just wondering exactly how and who gave you that information on your recent posting. It would seem to me that they may be trying to slant a story to one side, rather than tell us all the facts. Clearly this email is not telling the entire story. Not to mention, that information appears to be confidential, and not the smartest thing to post online in a "fan" site's message boards. The fact that the sender wishes to remain anoymous is a good indication that something isn't right with the story...and in fact, could very well be the case...seeing as Rod Rankin (Not Rob as said in the email) isn't even the General Manager of Carowinds anymore, so why would he be General Manager of both Great America and Carowinds...2000 miles apart from one another? Again, lowering this "sources" credibility.

These are the things that have costed other fan sites their affiliations and friendships/relationships with parks. May I suggest that until this "source" of clearly biased information actually has the guts and courage (because he's obviously doing something wrong or against park rules to hide himself) to come out and say who he is, and why he's qualified to even speak on the subject...you remove this entire thread from the boards. Posting unsubstantiated information online for the masses to view...it's just yellow journalism...and it's just plain wrong.
By coasterdave
No offense but this is after all at discussion board about things going on with Carowinds. If you do not agree with what is said than I am sure life will go on. if you have a problem with what someone posts from an unname source than by all means e-mail the poster instead of tell people to delete the post.
By coasterbruh
Trev32 wrote: holy crap this is awsome! the new coaster is named the borg? sounds better than star trek.

When i become a traveling sales man im gonna make sure i come to you.....you seem to believe everything you hear!!

Im confused.........why would you start an e mail off with "the name is the borg......." if the person was upset about getting the axe then why tell the name. sounds uncredible to me. I just dont get it..........going around ranting about being fired and telling a name that we are gonna eventually find out anyway doesnt get you your job back nor does it turn people away from the park. Now if it wasnt probable cause for the termination then you can legally fight that. The person is making it seem like the person came in one day with the grim reeper and just start hacking people for no reason. Its something not being stated in that e mail.

Let me get to searching!! :ph34r: :ph34r:
By AMartin777
I agree that we should all be cautious in approaching this "anonymous" e-mail. If the e-mail is slanted or biased, due to a hidden agenda on someones part, then it would be ill advised to take action or make statements based upon its contents. Unfounded negative reactions could be damaging to the park and it's relation with us... the coaster enthusiast community.

If we accept the supposition, then the consequences of this decision could be serious for the parks future operation. What are the facts that we DO know? Multiple full-time employees were layed off from Carowinds for "business" reasons. Employees with a length of tenure beyond 10 to 15 years are valuable resources to any company. The loss of someone with that amount of knowledge and experience will almost certainly impact the park negatively. Until we are provided with some form of corroboration or confirmation as to the authenticity of the claims made then we are simply dabbling in conjecture. Let's not draw any conclusions just yet. <_<
By Cephas
Not that I believe him or anything, but If I got laid off, then I'd be mad at my former imployer and would want to ruin their secrets.
By ghettopastries
Trev32 - "The Borg" and "Star Trek" are pretty much the same thing - 'borgs' are in the Star Trek movies. ;)
By ThrillSeeker
Like i sayed befor paramount loves star trek. But to me i think this guy is just trying to make everyone believe him ive seen it happen alot.
By LocoDriver
montumax wrote: One thing that strikes me funny is that Rankin isn't going to be the GM of the park next year. Wonder if this was Rankin's idea or the new guy's. I'll wait for the park to officially announce the change.

Maybe I'm a bit insensitive sometimes...but firings and downsizings happen all the time. Some long time employees could have been terminated but there is usually a reason for it. Personally, I don't place much confidence in emails like this and it all reeks of sour apples to me.

The Borg? Sounds fishy to me. I mean it could still be Star Trek but sounds like this person just wanted some publicity.

Trev...the Borg is Star Trek.

Max

Jonathan I hope that you've put your trust in the right people. I mean I'm sure that the P.R. dept. at Carowinds really appreciates you posting this email. Regardless if it's true or not, don't bite the hand that feeds you. We'll see if they keep feeding you any details?
By coasterbruh
what are you saying...........or what are you tryin to say.

Jon is just posting this he isnt saying that he agrees or disagrees
By Jonathan
He told me he would like to see it posted for discussion, and that's exctly what I did. I never said I had an opinion on it, but posted it to stimulate a discussion. I can also say that while the email is anonymous to everyone here, I never said it was anonymous to me.
By AMartin777
Quite right. The very nature of posting the e-mail is not an action of endorsement or disagreement. Jonathan has every right to post this e-mail without revealing its source. It is up to the reader to determine the intent of the author's, not Jonathan's, reasons for doing so. I believe the reason for posting the e-mail was to start a dialog amongst the members of this forum on a very important issue related to the operation of Carowinds.

Our discussion has been tempered and well within reason to this point. As I mentioned in my previous post, it is important that we deal with facts and not speculation. This does not, however, mean we should refrain discussing the very nature of Paramounts actions as they relate to the operation of Carowinds. The very action of laying off full time employees, with the intent of replacing them with seasonal help, could be labled a questionable business decision given the right circumstances.

The author of the e-mail is purporting that not only is this action bad in a general sense but moreover, is also a drain on the employee experience base due to many of the employees having long, continuous tenures with the park. I presume that seasonal help will consist of less experienced, though fully competent, employees. It could be argued that these seasonal employees may not provide the same level of performance as a more experienced employee regardless of what the specific tenures are.

The issues derived from the e-mail should be discussed. The e-mail is simply a catalyst to that end. Jonathan is certainly justified in posting it for that reason alone. Maintaining the author's anonymity is the right control for preventing the e-mail from becoming an issue for Paramount or Carowinds employees.