General Carowinds discussion
Dude wrote:How come nitros drop look bigger than intimidators and taller?

Nitro is 230' tall and 215ft drop, Intimidator is 232' tall and 211' drop... so I guess Nitro's drop is "bigger?", but maybe not as steep?
By Dude
RiDeWaRrIoR wrote:
Dude wrote:How come nitros drop look bigger than intimidators and taller?

Nitro is 230' tall and 215ft drop, Intimidator is 232' tall and 211' drop... so I guess Nitro's drop is "bigger?", but maybe not as steep?

Yeah i know nitros drop is like 4 feet bigger but there's not really a difference, and yeah its probably steeper i guess.
By mark40511
I browsed through some of the comments on Intimidator. I grew up going to Carowinds being originally from N.C. I live in Lexington KY now so Kings Island is the closest park to me. I have a question about Intimidator and B&M hypers in general. If this has already been asked/answered....please forgive.......Notice on Raging Bull and Apollos Chariot, once you climb the lift hill, there is sort of a few feet of (leveling) before the big drop......Why do some B&M hypers have this and others don't? To me, it's sort of good to have it, because I would think it would create more speed on the first drop? Or am I wrong? I know Diamondback doesn't have this element either.......
chunkyskunk wrote:
lazor 22 wrote:I think the reason AC and RB have pre-drops was to spread out the weight. If you look at the new ones they have bigger crests where as the old ones have small tight crests.

Here is what Wiki has to say about it:
One feature of Bolliger and Mabillard coasters that is common throughout their product line is an element known as a "pre-drop" (which is known in the industry as a "Kicker"). This is a short drop after the top of the lift hill and before the start of the first drop, designed to reduce tension on the lift chain. The flat section between the pre-drop and the first drop serves as a shelf to carry the weight of the train, reducing related stresses on the chain. By comparison, on most coasters without a pre-drop, the weight of the train as it begins its descent tends to pull on the lift chain, as the latter half of the train is still being lifted by the chain at this point. More recently, the pre-drop is only used on coasters with curved drops, whereas coaster with straight drops, such as Goliath at Six Flags Over Georgia and The Time Machine at Freestyle Music Park do not have pre-drops.
By Blue Moon
mark40511 wrote:I browsed through some of the comments on Intimidator. I grew up going to Carowinds being originally from N.C. I live in Lexington KY now so Kings Island is the closest park to me. I have a question about Intimidator and B&M hypers in general. If this has already been asked/answered....please forgive.......Notice on Raging Bull and Apollos Chariot, once you climb the lift hill, there is sort of a few feet of (leveling) before the big drop......Why do some B&M hypers have this and others don't? To me, it's sort of good to have it, because I would think it would create more speed on the first drop? Or am I wrong? I know Diamondback doesn't have this element either.......

Speaking of Diamondback, in case nobody was aware, the Intimidator crew just raced them for highest total number of riders and ride cycles on July 1 and July 4. Canada's Wonderland with Behemoth was also included. Guess who won? Intimidator by a landslide. :P
By bgwfreak
Got 1st ride of the day yesterday and then another 9 after that as well. Several riding with KenB who showed up after I'd been riding 30+ minutes.

Anyway, the second trim didn't fire the first ride, and I think it may be because the other two trains were at the station/brake run. But that doesn't really make sense though sense there never is a second train on the course when one is on it already. The lift speeds up when the train on the course hits the brakes.

When that second trim doesn't fire, it's easily the best B&M hyper in my book. Wish it ran that way all the time.
By cwgator
I finally got to see Intimidator in person for the first time last night coming up I-77. All I can say is WOW! I went back today to see it run from Plaza Fiesta and filmed some and took my own pics (finally). It definitely looks amazig. Unfortunately I wont have a chance to go to the park while in town as Im here for a funeral. Hopefully I'l be back before the end of the season.
Last edited by cwgator on July 19th, 2010, 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
By pb3176
wow is all i can say. so much different than what i expected the ride to be.
started my day off in row 15 and i dont think i touched the seat till the train was going up the first hill and every hill was like that. super fast with lots of out of seat air.
i then went and did the usual ride everything since the line was long and went back with the intention to hit every row
i got in rows 1 - 10, 12, 15 and 16 rode rows 1, 2, 8, and 12 twice.
lines were short and the wait was about 15 min from unload to load again. there was a cool opp that let me jump in a empty seat so i did not have to get back in line and he told me to ride row 16 with my eyes closed. will have to try that some day.

here is what i dont understand. i asked every time i seen a empty seat when i was leaving if i could jump in it and i always heard no. why not let a rider get another ride if the seat or row is empty?
By pb3176
Blue Moon wrote:Normally, seats may appear to be empty but the guest is putting his/her personal belongings in the storage bin.

i can understand that but yesterday there were empty rows. there was a point i counted 8 seats on a train going into the station that were empty. there were 3 empty rows and 2 empty seats. there was a guy getting on as i was getting off and he was the only one in that row and i was told i could not ride again i would have to go back around. i told the op that the guy is a single rider and the seat is empty i was still told no.