General Carowinds discussion
By solarplexus
shane235 wrote:While I was at the park on Sunday I noticed a man walking away from Fury's plaza who was yelling at a Carowinds worker. The worker was just a custodian who was sweeping the ground, and she looked confused as this man practically screamed at her about not being able to get on Fury. He was saying "Do you know how much I payed to get in this f****** place?". I was amazed at how rude someone could be, especially to someone who didn't even work for Fury! As he left, the worker walked by us and muttered about how she doesn't even work that ride and how it wasn't her fault. I'm assuming that he couldn't get on Fury because he had loose articles with him, but still, they have signs and people EVERYWHERE telling you that. People need to just fork up the 2 dollars and deal with it. I personally like the locker system! They are super cheap, and I usually spend my time near Fury anyway! .....so that was just my rant of the day.... :wave:

Funny how common decency isn't really common.
By Tawny71
^^Area schools are out on Monday. I think most of the make up days got waived, and a few were made up during teacher in service days. I'm guessing it will be crowded. Not only are schools out, but a majority of people are off work because it's a national holiday.

As for the discussion about Rip Roarin Rapids, it was open when I was there a week ago Saturday (May 9).
By kirkgun
shane235 wrote:While I was at the park on Sunday I noticed a man walking away from Fury's plaza who was yelling at a Carowinds worker. The worker was just a custodian who was sweeping the ground, and she looked confused as this man practically screamed at her about not being able to get on Fury. He was saying "Do you know how much I payed to get in this f****** place?". I was amazed at how rude someone could be, especially to someone who didn't even work for Fury! As he left, the worker walked by us and muttered about how she doesn't even work that ride and how it wasn't her fault. I'm assuming that he couldn't get on Fury because he had loose articles with him, but still, they have signs and people EVERYWHERE telling you that. People need to just fork up the 2 dollars and deal with it. I personally like the locker system! They are super cheap, and I usually spend my time near Fury anyway! .....so that was just my rant of the day.... :wave:

I'll add to this rant. :shifty:

I like the locker system too. No, I love it. I hope to see it expanded or enhanced in some way so that it is that way for ALL rides with multiple trains. The same length of line on Fury moves so much faster than Intimidator, that Intimidator is now a complete waste of space in the park (and it should not be).

I think the best announcement that Carowinds could make for the 2016 season... a great many more locker rooms built throughout the park and near all major rides, with very reasonable prices by the hour and all day capabilities allowing guests unlimited access to re-open them. The absolute biggest complaint about amusement parks is the time spent standing in lines. Carowind's "bins to hold your worthless crap" in the stations and the chaos of the loading passengers crossing over the trains (instead of boarding and buckling in) to put their crap in the bins and the unloading passengers all getting in each other's way to use theese bins, on every single train load, is simply stupid. Beyond stupid.

Maybe it was fine when Carowinds was tiny local oddity, with low attendance, that was always teetering on the brink of bankruptcy to have these bins in the station. I don't know. I don't care. Those days are gone. It's now time to retire the bins and address the easiest way of improving the the worst aspect of amusement parks, the long time waiting in lines.

(granted no matter how many hundreds of signs stating this policy, and recorded messages blasted through speakers and on FUN Tv, and park personnel they have to inform guests of the policy... it will always be a complete surprise to 50% of park visitors in the stations)

And about the jerks in the park? Ya know what? The single best experience I had at Carowinds was on Halloween night last year. It was pretty much all teenagers. They were all so well behaved, polite and respectful. I said something to my wife about about it at the time as we were going to leave that night. I remember it because I was so pleasantly surprised. I said, "Ya know, this may be the best behaved large group of kids I've ever witnessed in my life." I saw one kid jump a line, one time, the whole night. I have been appalled by the way the guests have been this year. And it's not the kids. It's the "parents with kids" that are the worst line jumpers and all around obnoxious jerks. It happens in every line, on every ride, and it's the whole damn extended families that are the worst (moms, dads, kids, aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers-in-laws etc) offenders. 3 of them are in line... and then allow 7 more to jump past dozens (or hundreds) of others in line. On the school band days on Fridays? It was the chaperons and teachers that were encouraging all their kids to jump the line in front of 100 other paying guests. I can only wish Carowinds made good on the empty threat of kicking these jerk families and groups out of the park. The one time I saw a Carowinds employee say something to one big family of line jumpers (this past Sunday), it was the MOM that started yelling back at the employee (of course she was yelling that her family had the right to jump a hundred people in line).
By coasterbruh
Ok...is there a legit reason you can't take your beer away from the place you purchased it? I've been to countless parks and carowinds seem to be the only one who has that rule...
By KIJester
kirkgun said....

"The one time I saw a Carowinds employee say something to one big family of line jumpers (this past Sunday), it was the MOM that started yelling back at the employee (of course she was yelling that her family had the right to jump a hundred people in line)."
That should be reason enough for automatic ejection as per the signs posted everywhere.

Its interesting that every year that I have visited CP, they almost ALWAYS have employees (or in some case, security officers) in the que lines of all the major coasters to circumvent line jumping. Is there a reason Cedar Fair isn't consistent with this policy across all of their parks...just curious?
By coasterbruh
Probably because different parks may not have that problem. Cedar point has lots of visitors from everywhere. The crowd may be different then say carowinds where line jumping may not be as bad.
By chargercrazy
coasterbruh wrote:Ok...is there a legit reason you can't take your beer away from the place you purchased it? I've been to countless parks and carowinds seem to be the only one who has that rule...

I am wondering if NC and SC have different laws about this and that is the reason for it. Or Carowinds is trying to keep the alcohol contained and away from the family areas of the park.
By formeryogi
Yes there are legal rules about alcohol.

ABC regulations in North Carolina control where (how far) the alcohol can be carried. The regulations are actually different between beer & wine and hard liquor.

For example, last weekend at the Wells Fargo Championship golf tournament you could buy a beer at a cart and actually walk around the course. However, there were some areas where the rules were different. There was a food/drink area that was surrounded by a fence. Any alcohol purchased in that area could not be taken out of the fence. It's confusing, but it all has to do with the licenses and the kinds of alcohol sold and how it was served (bottle or poured).
By StephG
When I try to buy them online they are 39.99 or 19.99 for June 21st. I remember seeing a tweet from the park about 9.99 though. I may just try to call them tomorrow.
By Sharebear010
Speaking of lockers, here's my only gripe with them, souvenir cups... I do love the locker system and I think it does help with capacity, but I never bring anything that can't fit into my hubby's zipper pockets and I do all my gift shopping right before I'm ready to leave, so I never have to worry about loose articles. But we always get the cups and it does suck to have to buy a locker just to put 2 cups in it. We haven't bought cups yet this season.
By kirkgun
Sharebear010 wrote:Speaking of lockers, here's my only gripe with them, souvenir cups... I do love the locker system and I think it does help with capacity, but I never bring anything that can't fit into my hubby's zipper pockets and I do all my gift shopping right before I'm ready to leave, so I never have to worry about loose articles. But we always get the cups and it does suck to have to buy a locker just to put 2 cups in it. We haven't bought cups yet this season.

We don't have loose article problems either. And we haven't bought any cups for the exact same reason. We've thought about how to manage the souvenir cups, and came up with only one answer. The answer is: discover and remember which drinking fountains have cold water (and the ones with not-so-cold water) around the park. It's not the best solution, but it's been working for us because neither of us really drink much soda anyway. We'd just use those bottles for water most all of the time anyway. And if we absolutely, completely, seriously, need a cool drink with flavor, go to Harmony Hall and get a beer (hasn't happened yet this year).