General Carowinds discussion
By redrunner97
If it's anything like the 12 days of Kings Dominion, then there are eleven more things coming in 2016 too... or I'm reading too much into Jarvis' riddle this week. lol
By coasterbruh
Yeah . . .
In the past it has been use to highlight things coming for next year, current things and new announcements.
By tylerSC
FamousAmos wrote:I'm not upset by Thunder Road's removal. Especially since several of us know what is coming in the near future. :wink:
Carowinds should convince Norfolk & Southern to sell that un-used land north of Hurler :think:

Sorry to see Thunder Road go but I understand the reasons. In regard to what is coming in the near future, are you referring to Phase 3? And will this be for 2017 or what is the estimated timetable? I know you cannot divulge details, but I do hope we eventually see another big coaster.

But great to see the Top Scan, as new flats are definitely needed. But since they appear to have a contract with Mondial, hopefully they will also add a Delirium frisbee ride like Kings Dominion in the near future.
By coasterbruh
I think I have some heart breaking, dissapointing news for you tyler . . .
By tylerSC
Well folks on this forum have been wanting a giant frisbee for a long time. And Cedar Point, Kings Island, and soon Kings Dominion will have one. Looks like eventually they would add one at Carowinds. And they now seem to have the contract with Mondial rather than Huss. As for another coaster, I know this usually happens about every 5 years.
By gabed
I don't know if it's a contract with Mondial as much as it is Cedar Fair seeing them as a good provider of flats. Which really surprises me after seeing just how reliable those dandy Windseekers are. For a coaster however, I'm expecting a new one anywhere between 2018 - 2021 at the absolute latest. Cedar Point got Gatekeeper in 2013, Rougarou in 2015 (not a new coaster but still a new experience) and now Valravn for 2016. Seeing how Cedar Fair has been heavily investing in Carowinds, our next coaster may come sooner than expected. Not that I know anything or am ever right, just a prediction.
By gabed
Semi off topic, does anyone have any idea why the "confirmed" conversion of CGA's Vortex fell through?
By coasterbruh
I doubt the fair lookat at floorless mantis as anything more than an upgrade and not treat it like a new coaster addition on the books, since the dive is coming so soon.

I think the floorless vortex coaster aren't that marketable, especially in cali with sever larger floorless coasters in the area. It may work for carowinds but I'd rather have a new coaster experience to go along with the floorless aspect.

And yeah, why does everyone suspect a "contract" when a chain gets sever rides/coasters from one provider? In that case I have a contract with wash world cause that's where I always go to wash my clothes lol.
By arby
The biggest reason I think a floorless Vortex would work for Carowinds is that they are sorely lacking in the family rides department. Vortex as-is isn't something most families with tweens and teens ride together, but a floorless version would help work towards filling that void IMO.

With that being said, Vortex is lacking some elements to make it a good floorless...
By RollerBee
This is probably because my daughter is under 54" but I disagree. I also don't believe that floorless trains will make Vortex any better.
By Gerstlauerguy
RollerBee wrote:This is probably because my daughter is under 54" but I disagree. I also don't believe that floorless trains will make Vortex any better.

agreed. as ive said before id much rather have vortex taken out and replaced by something else
By tarheel1231
Floorless Vortex would probably be better than 9 of the other coasters at the park. Converting it would improve capacity and possibly boost Carowinds' coaster lineup. I really don't see a downside. :?
By FamousAmos
If the park decided to change Vortex to a floorless coaster, each train (if they are 8 cars in length) could cost anywhere between $800,000 to $1,200,000 (Fury's trains are about $1,000,000 each).
Then the new paint, as well as all of the necessary changes to transform it. Honestly, it's cheaper than buying a new coaster. But tearing it down and hauling it to the scrapyard would be even more cost-effective than transforming it.

The potential for either option is there...
By tarheel1231
^Vortex's layout is way too compact for eight cars. The floorless cars need a fair amount of space between them and a six-car floorless train is about the same size as Vortex's current trains including the zero car. Would you guys really want to see it be sent to the scrap yard when you could have another decent coaster for a fraction of the cost of a new one?