Everything else goes here, including discussion of parks outside of Carowinds and any off-topic discussion
By cwgator
Universal's Islands Of Adventure will be adding a new coaster to the Wizarding World Of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade in 2019. To make room for this attraction, Dragon Challenge will be removed. Last day to get your rides in is September 4th, 2017.

https://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/new-ride-wwohp-hogsmeade/?__source=sm.awr.ao.FBPAGE&linkId=40128016

New Generation of Thrill Ride Coming to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade
’m super excited to tell you that a new generation of thrill ride is coming to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade at Universal’s Islands of Adventure in 2019! I can’t tell you everything about the new ride just yet, but here’s what I can share:

This all-new thrill ride will take you deeper into J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World, where you will encounter some of your favorite characters and creatures. It’ll be unlike anything we’ve ever done before and it will be fun for the entire family.
The new attraction will be one of the most highly-themed coaster experiences we’ve created. It will combine a new level of storytelling with an action-packed adventure…and a few surprises along the way.
Our award-winning Universal Creative team is once again collaborating with Warner Bros. and the production design team from the Harry Potter films to bring this new coaster experience to life.
This ride is going to redefine the category and transport you to thrilling places, drawing you into even more exciting adventures within the wizarding world. It’s going to be the perfect addition to Hogsmeade.
We’re permanently closing Dragon Challenge on September 5 to make way for this all-new ride. The last day of operation will be Monday, September 4.

Stay tuned to the blog or sign up for email updates – more details will be released in the future.

In the meantime, make sure you come out and take your last ride on Dragon Challenge before it closes.

Personally I don't care for Harry Potter and will likely not be back to Universal any time soon (and it's 90 minutes away).
This has been coming for some time sadly. They had three options:

1. Rebuild the dragons a la Hulk
2. Rebuild one of the dragons and theme it more closely to HP
3. Build a new ride

I'm assuming this is either number two or three since it's going to be a coaster, and my money is on number three.
So will the coasters get scrapped or relocated? Seems like if you really wanted to you could relocate them separately and have B&M manufacture separate lift supports.
Like Hulk, the Dragons are near end of life. The current Hulk is a completely different coaster, track and supports, from the old one. These needed to be retired too, but instead of a compete rebuild they're doing this.
Edwardo wrote:Like Hulk, the Dragons are near end of life. The current Hulk is a completely different coaster, track and supports, from the old one. These needed to be retired too, but instead of a compete rebuild they're doing this.

WHAT. :shock: ...Don't let Raptor or Montu hear you say that.
^To be fair and put things in perspective, Raptor gets a complete off season every year for proper maintenance. Montu, while in a year-round park, goes down for annual maintenance a lot more often than Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge ever did. It just had a refurb last year while Cobra's Curse was under construction and is running superb.
Exactly. I'd be willing to bet that Dragons have the usage of a B&M that's 40+ years old even though they are only 18.
By gabed
If we're gonna be honest it would make a lot of sense. CF is killing four birds with one stone next year and Mystic Timbers will still basically be new in 2019. That leaves Carowinds and Canada's Winderland as the only major parks without a new coaster in a few years.

Guessing off nothing more than my own judgement, I'm thinking RMC conversion of one of Wonderland's woodies and a ground up coaster of some sort in the WWF plot.

Anywho, back to other parks.
gabed wrote:If we're gonna be honest it would make a lot of sense. CF is killing four birds with one stone next year and Mystic Timbers will still basically be new in 2019. That leaves Carowinds and Canada's Winderland as the only major parks without a new coaster in a few years.

Guessing off nothing more than my own judgement, I'm thinking RMC conversion of one of Wonderland's woodies and a ground up coaster of some sort in the WWF plot.

Anywho, back to other parks.

Worlds of Fun, Valleyfair, MiA, When is the last time Dorney got a new coaster?
By cwgator
^^2012 with Possessed or 2005 with Hydra if you want to say a new coaster...lol

Looks like all they got was the Pre-K pass and someone says that a new food place in Wildwater Kingdom. Maybe 2019 will be their year.