General Carowinds discussion
By coasteraddict02
I'm going to Scarowinds on the 25th. Can someone tell me where to go first and last to escape the long lines? Thanks.
By falula
If this past weekend is any indication of how the lines will be, you shouldn't have much wait anywhere. The closer you get to Halloween, the more people we expect. I would start back by Hurler with Dream Factory since it usually takes people the longest to get back there. Or at Laugh Factory near Thunder Road--this was the only one with a real line that I saw on Saturday.
By MarkD
I'll tell ya what we do to tackle the crowds and get the most out of Scarowinds. We have about 10-12 people go every year and don't have much problems at all.

1. Download a MAP of Scarowinds from the web site and check it out closely so you know where things are. All the attractions have signs but best to check out the map.

2. Get there well before opening, get your tickets and get in line. 6:00pm is best. That gives you time to walk to the front entrance, get your tickets and get up front in the line without being in a big hurry. I'm not sure when they will let you in the parking lot but trust me and get there at 6pm to save the stress.

3. Once you cross the bridge go to the left, clockwise around the entire park hitting all the Haunts as you go.

4. Leave any "rides" until last as you may not get it all in. I mean rides and Haunts.

5. After ALL the Haunts are finished then it is ride time.

That is basically what we do. You, in essence, walk the entire park getting in all the Haunts and Scare Zones by the time you get back to the entrance. We tried one year going in reverse, counter-clockwise, and that was a disaster for us. We also wait until all the Haunts are finished before we get drinks and a snack.

You will run into lines but this way you are kind of in the lead pack until about 3/4 of the way through. If you can go on Friday night the crowds are less.
By coasteraddict02
Thanx people. But we will probably ride more rides. We went earlier when thunder road was closed and we want to go to that first. I think we might take that clock-wise tip as we are going on a saturday night.
By metsfan
My only suggestion is to skip the alien annihilation until its dark even if the lines are longer. It's much more fun when you can't see whats coming up.
By coasterdave
I would suggest on skipping it and go during the day. I will say that this version of Scarowinds is about the saddest excuse of a Halloween Event I have ever went to.
By Chris
coasterdave wrote:I would suggest on skipping it and go during the day. I will say that this version of Scarowinds is about the saddest excuse of a Halloween Event I have ever went to.
details are overwhelming
By cdp123
coasterdave wrote:I would suggest on skipping it and go during the day. I will say that this version of Scarowinds is about the saddest excuse of a Halloween Event I have ever went to.

I'm guessing you must not get out to too many then....
Been to Phobia at Wild Adventures? Then you got nothing to say about a horrible Halloween event.
By Jonathan
I would almost be willing to guarantee that Dave has been to more Halloween events than anyone else on this board.

I guess the question is, though, why would ANYONE go to Wild Adventure's Halloween event?
By Davidtmp
Jonathan wrote:I would almost be willing to guarantee that Dave has been to more Halloween events than anyone else on this board.

I guess the question is, though, why would ANYONE go to Wild Adventure's Halloween event?

LOL Jonathan, I don't know Dave too well except from his posts here and about, but even I can be confident in placing a bet that he has been to more Halloween events than others on here.
By cdp123
Pretty broad statement i know and I don't know who he is so my apoligies if he has been to lots of em
but gimme a break..SCarowinds isnt too bad this year
By KenB
I too would bet that Dave has been to more than anyone here. And although I haven't been yet this year and didn't go last year, I went every year from 2001 to 2006 and I can certainly believe what he's saying in his TR about quantity over quality.

In 2006, I found it pretty lame. They had most of the park open by this point, with just the stretch of RFD over by the water park unused. I liked having more rides to hit at nighttime, but the scare stuff was simply lacking. In earlier years, they'd have just Top Gun, Thunder Road and Vortex open. Oh, and the log flume one year, which in retrospect was not such a great idea to ride on a cool October night. A year or two they had T-Road closed, and might have had Hurler open then but I can't remember.

In those years with just 3 coasters open, they tended to have 4 haunts, with the one behind the mini railroad in Nick Central usually being the best. The best was always in the picnic shelter behind the mini railroad in the kid's area, with another good one on Smurf Island and a decent-to-good one weaving around the log flume. Another one was 3D psycho clowns / psycho aliens which was also good. The only part of the park open was usually from Top Gun over to the Paramount theater / Vortex area, and County Fair if T-Road was being used that year. All of the area open was pretty well themed. The path to the haunt behind the railroad was done especially well, with some good lighting, use of the fog machines, and sound effects. The sternwheeler was nicely decorated. There were lots of scare-actors running around the paths and the overall mood was very good.

Contrast to 2006, when the haunts seemed watered down, and many of the staples of earlier years were missing. The haunt behind the railroad was OK, but lacking compared to it's previous incarnations. I missed having the spinning tunnel in the 3D maze, which always provided one of the better moments of Scarowinds. The park was well themed in spots, but it seemed very scattered out with some areas feeling very much like Carowinds on a normal day. Bigger was not necessarily better.

It seems they've added even more stuff for this year, which could very well just dilute everything that much more.
By coasterdave
KenB hit the nail on the head. I will go as far to say that I thought the earlier versions of SCarowinds where alot better. Having eight houses is great but having eight houses that are good is a complete and different story. While I think Scarowinds has potential to become a strong Halloween Event it has a long way to go. I noticed to many workers that where just doing nothing at all to earn their money. I prime example is the Feeding Frenzy so called Scarezone. It is a rave type attempt that had all the so called workers located in one small area where they where just huddled around talking among each other. I hung out for 15 minutes hoping that they would break up so I could try to get some shots of them working. Needless to say they did not.

Another example is Final Summons located in the picnic area. I walked through it and found it very bland with little action taking place. I bet there was a mere 15 members of the house inside with only 3 trying to scare people. The others looked like they where just there to collect a paycheck. Maybe it is because I have attended many top notch events over the last ten years or so and that I will be help planning one of the largest event in 2009 but it is a crime that the title of 'Haunt' is even on Scarowinds. I really think that the park needs to either pick the phone up and ask for some help from across the US from Knott's since they have been doing it the longest and do have one of the best Halloween Events.

As for someone asking that I do not get out to many of these, well I think you can find that answer already. The great thing is I do get a chance to get out and see what other parks have to offer in their Halloween Events. I would even do it if I had to pay for it out of my own packet as I have done each year till this year since my employer is picking up the tab on every trip I do for research.

But do not take my word for SCarowinds being bad for someone might think it is the cat's meow. I just think they have a long way to go.
By brendenr
coasteraddict02 wrote:I'm going to Scarowinds on the 25th. Can someone tell me where to go first and last to escape the long lines? Thanks.

My family and I went to Scarowinds this past weekend (Oct 18) and found the crowds and lines to be completely overwhelming. We ended up hitting one of the haunted attractions then wandering around the entire park looking for something...anything that didn't have an enormous line. Nothing was to be found (this includes rides and haunted attractions). The Nighthawk, in fact, had a line almost to the entrance, which I have to believe involved at least an hour long wait for the poor saps at the end of the line. We ended up leaving very early (8:30 pm) sorely disappointed.

The bright spot was daytime the next day. No scarowinds, but really short lines on all the rides :)