General Carowinds discussion
By Jstbcool
carowindsman6654 wrote:
Coaster Punk wrote:So your saying this was intentionaly sent out by carowinds?

If yes, wouldn't there be one for Kings Dominion too though? :?

Not neccesarily. While both parks are part of CF, both parks i'm sure have their own marketing departments. While the main decisions for the coaster likely come from higher up, how to hype the ride could be left up to the individual park. Right now KD had tons of track sitting in its parking lot and a twitter update that keeps hinting August 20th is a good day to go to the park. KI used the website and a countdown to the official announcement to draw attention. This could be Carrowinds ways of sparking even more attention from the enthusiasts as i'm sure this picture will spread to other forums.
Last edited by Jstbcool on July 21st, 2009, 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Coaster Punk
Just to give u an idea without the little piece of paper in the way :P

By Jstbcool
Looking at the picture again, I'm most interested to see if this logo shows up in the press kits since the folder below the logo clearly says press kit.
By coasterbruh
carowindsman6654 wrote:
Coaster Punk wrote:So your saying this was intentionaly sent out by carowinds?

If yes, wouldn't there be one for Kings Dominion too though? :?

Of course since they have the same management team at both parks...the only parks in the chain to be staffed by the same people should obvously leak info on the same day from the same office, since both parks are getting the same intamin coaster!
By Edwardo
Don't jump to conclusions and think that White Lightening is definitely the name. Jarsh at GAP made a comment similar to Jammin but he added In How its the name a lot of people want.

If it is viral marketing then I think the revise sticky and the draft notes are telling. And think of that date. What happens the day after the revise b date? Haven't we been promised surprises that day? I really wish I could go to coaster stock but the timing didn't work for me.

But the press release file and the blueprint sticking out, I'm really leaning towards viral marketing. And I'm glad it seems to be starting here since we are kind of the only group of Carowinds fans on the net.

Can't wait to see Keiths animation, that's for sure!
By Diamondback FOF
From Screamscape ( http://screamscape.com/html/carowinds.htm ) this morning:

A very interesting picture slid into my inbox this morning... one that confirms a rumor we had heard about the 2010 coaster way back in December. Yes, someone apparently found an semi-official logo for the new coaster which is going to bring back the White Lightning name.
At first I thought about not posting the photo out of fear that the photographer might get in trouble, but upon a closer look at the photo itself with Photoshoped, I started to make out little indicators where it appeared that the photo itself may have been doctored. Just look at the scene in general here... everything is all set up neat and clean... every folder tab is visible and appropriate, and the logo itself is almost perfectly squared off to the camera at a near perfect and level angle. Just managing to do that by hand with a real camera, let along a small cell phone camera, is almost impossible itself without some post-production help from Photoshop. Then look at the letters in the logo... they too are squared off perfectly to the camera, especially the long running white bar along the bottom. Perfect... too perfect. Something doesn’t smell right... and if that wasn’t enough there is the over the top Post-It Note in the top left corner, saying that logo had to be revised by July 23rd, 2009. Why is that date important? Because Coaster-Stock is taking place the very next morning on July 24th.
Does this mean the photo or logo are a fake? No... I don’t think so... I’m just thinking this could have been a carefully planned “leak” on the part of Carowinds, just days out from Coaster Stock and the big announcement. In short... an attempt to create some serious buzz well in advance of the announcement, which they certainly have.

I do think that was probably sent out by Carowinds.
By ParkPro
I just find it really hard to believe that they have nothing better to do then send us pictures. Reading screamscape, and looking at the photo, I do not see why he thinks it was photoshopped. It looks like a cell phone photo to me, even the demensions of the photo screams cell phone. What do you think, bruh? You're the artsy one!

Also-I get the 'too organized' theory. It does look a little "too perfect". Maybe she was getting ready to head to a meeting or was organizing thoughts. I dont know. But the date 7-23-09 should have NO significance because... think about it: How quickly do you think a designer would turn around and make the changes that they suggest with their revisions? Especially if it was meant for a Coaster Stock announcement! NOT ONE DAY. It is unlikely!!!

I think its real. thats my two cents.
By CarowindsFan
Back in the day, White Lightnin' was my favorite ride by far. Even though I loved that ride and hated to see it go, I hope they do not use that name on this coaster if we are getting what everyone thinks we are getting.

My favorite memories of that ride are hearing "Put your head against the headrest, Lightning strikes.............NOW." Our family recently went to Orlando on vacation and every launch coaster that I rode made me think of that phrase.

I really hoped they would save that name for some type of launch coaster. Of course it's not too late for that. B&M built the Hulk at Universal Orlando which is my all time favorite ride. The launch while on the hill is amazing. However, B&M did not build the launch system for that ride and if I'm not mistaken it is the only B&M with a launch.

Now, one thing that strikes me as odd is the spelling in the "leaked" photo. It is spelled "White Lightning" while the original coaster was "White Lightnin'". That is very odd. Of course the new marketing team may not even know this.

Regarding the color of the ride, I'm willing to bet few if any of the current management have actually ridden White Lightnin' so to them the color of the track would not be important. As long as the cars themselves are white, it would fit the theme. Of course to us old timers, the track simply has to be white.
By Jstbcool
ParkPro wrote:I just find it really hard to believe that they have nothing better to do then send us pictures. Reading screamscape, and looking at the photo, I do not see why he thinks it was photoshopped. It looks like a cell phone photo to me, even the demensions of the photo screams cell phone. What do you think, bruh? You're the artsy one!

Also-I get the 'too organized' theory. It does look a little "too perfect". Maybe she was getting ready to head to a meeting or was organizing thoughts. I dont know. But the date 7-23-09 should have NO significance because... think about it: How quickly do you think a designer would turn around and make the changes that they suggest with their revisions? Especially if it was meant for a Coaster Stock announcement! NOT ONE DAY. It is unlikely!!!

What you pointed out about the sticky note is exactly why it is suspicious. If they really are going to say something at Coaster Stock they would already have the logo finalized and printed up before 7-23-09. The sticky note seems planted as a hint towards coaster stock, not as an actual deadline. And with what screamscape said, the desk did just look a little too organized. Who organizes their desk like that with information that is supposed to be kept secret and leaves the room? Most people would pick that packet up and slide it in a drawer, or at least put something on top of it. I'm in the boat that believes this is a planned leak.
By carowindsman6654
I think it's fake because of the way the desk items are laid out. I think it's real because Cedar Fair has never leaked the name of a ride before the press release on purpose.
By charlotteguy02
I do find it somewhat ironic that they took out a shuttle coaster to then come back two decades later and put in another shuttle coaster (in practically the same spot, mind you). I don't mind the same name being re-used if that is the case. It would definitely fit being the tallest and fastest coaster in the park, striking at 'lightning' speed from high in the clouds. Sorry, I couldn't resist. I am certainly more of a fan of this than Intimidator.
By ParkPro
What if she had JUST printed it out? I'm sure she doesnt expect people to just walk in her office and take a gander at whatever is sitting on the desk. In reality, if anyone were to see that, i would guess it'd be someone in the cleaning crew. I work at the park and know plenty of people there who abuse the priveleges, especially just walking into an empty office and looking around a bit. With cell phone technology these days, its a wonder that more things dont get leaked! WHen we do the behind the scenes tour on friday, i wonder if Dani would let us tour the marketing offices!
By coasterbruh
ParkPro wrote:I just find it really hard to believe that they have nothing better to do then send us pictures. Reading screamscape, and looking at the photo, I do not see why he thinks it was photoshopped. It looks like a cell phone photo to me, even the demensions of the photo screams cell phone. What do you think, bruh? You're the artsy one!

but parkpro, remember when behometh was being counted down on the website. It was in fact the park that changed the image from patriot to hydra. The parks are really active in the coaster comminuty and I see something like this always coming out...
By ParkPro
Good point. Then we may have been had. What if the logo is a fake to throw us off then?
By carowindsman6654
ParkPro wrote:Good point. Then we may have been had. What if the logo is a fake to throw us off then?

And when was the last time Cedar Fair or Carowinds did that? :roll: They wouldn't go to this much trouble to throw off a couple coaster enthusiasts. Remember that the general public makes up the majority of park attendance. They don't care about what a few of us think.